Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Sausage Stuffer Vertical vs. Horizontal

I was just wondering if any one knows the Difference between a Vertical and a Horizontal Stuffer, I'm in the market for one, and I'm trying to figure out which one to get. The Horizontals are a little more money.
Thanks for any input.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 AM

Default stuffer

I had a horizontal clear water pressurized one from Halford house.I dearly loved it for the two times I used it.I washed it and placed it in its original carton for storage.The next time I went to use it of course after mixing my meat I noticed a spiral crack around the whole tube needless to say I had allot of peperonie flavoured meat loaf.
As suggested I tryed to contact the manufacturer on numerous occassions without sucess.
So I am also going to purchase a hand crank model horizontal as it sits on the counter without having to screw it down to any surface so you can use it on any tabletop
Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Make your own

Last year I made my own electric meat grinder/sausage maker. Took an old hand crank one that I purchased at a yard sale for $2 went down to the local appliance repair shop and grabbed an old washer. Repair guy said you take any of them that have been dropped off over the weekend and as long as you do not bring it back take it apart. Had an old metal table with 2 shelves and bolted the washer engine to the bottom shelve and clamped the meat grinder to the top shelve. Used the pully from the old washer to put on the meat grinder and measured the distance around the engine and the pulley and went to Canadian tire and bought a belt to match.

Those old hand meat grinders are made to last (hard metal) and a washer engine is lots of power for a meat grinder. Went through about 75 pound of elk meat in about 30 mintues and worked great for sausage press. If you want pictures I can send them to you. Does not look fancy but does the trick and only cost about $20 for all the parts and only took be about 1 hour to build.

Good luck!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:40 PM

Hey MuleyMonster,

You should post some pic's.....I am not really planning on building one, our group bought one a few years back....

But it is cool to see peoples inventions and ingenuity.....
Old 09-12-2007, 02:43 PM

I have both the horzontal and vertical stuffers. I prefer the vertical and I will tell you why. When you are pressing the sausage in the horizontal the forces are also horizontal. So the stuffer likes to move all over the counter. Its a pain to keep in place as a one man operation. The vertical has its forces moving again in the vertical (go figure). But it also has a tendency to "kick out " and slide around on you if you don't pay attention to how your cranking on the handle. Basically both models need to be fastened down. The best way to handle this is to have a collapsable table for the job that you can attach your machines too. Costco sells a plastic top table for around $50. I will be setting mine up after moose camp. If you build a wood block stand you can put the stuffer anywhere on the table, if you don't it has to be on an edge to accommidate the crank handle.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:51 PM

Default How do I Post

I have only been on the site for a few weeks and cannot figure out how to post a picture. My files are all too big it tells me. I would love to post a picture and would if I could. Any insight as to my problem would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-12-2007, 04:03 PM

Try this thread, it expalins it pretty good

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=3774

Basically you have to compress the pictures inorder to get them on here....
Old 09-12-2007, 04:09 PM

The issue I get is that it says the file is too big but I do not know how to reduce it or attach it as a thumbnail. What do you do then?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:12 PM

You have to use your computers picture softwear to compress the file and then save it under a different name.

OR

you need to sign up on something like "photobucket" then just attach a link to it in your post...

Check out the post in the general category on posting pictures. It is Thumb Tacked at the top.....it should help......
Old 09-12-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Sorry

Sorry Silver for highjacking this thread but hopefully I will be able to post a picture soon. Again Sorry.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:17 PM

Thumbs up suffer

Hi all fellow sportsmen first post
I have 30lbs vertical sent up from Austin TX came from cabela's last year and it works great cranked
all last seasons meat have used the horizontal like the vert better had a buddy
pick me up a motor for the stuffer this spring can't wait to try it out no more waiting for help to make sausage

cattracks
Old 09-12-2007, 04:22 PM

I use a hand-powered cast iron Alexanderwerke grinder/stuffer (horizontal). It clamps onto the countertop, so it's not going anywhere. Not as fast as electric though.

Frans
Old 09-12-2007, 10:10 PM

Thanks for all the Tips guys, Looking at getting one from LEM or Cabelas.

No worries on the pictures, it can be a bit of a pain the first time.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Sharpedge

Default "Hand-cranked" meat grinders!

Don't ever convert a "hand-cranked" meat grinder so as to have it "powered".

THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

The feed funnel on any powered meat grinder must be made too deep as well as quite narrow to prevent a user's fingers from coming in contact with the feed-screw. The old fashioned, clamp-on, hand-cranked grinders do not have these critical safety features because the makers assume that the person tuning the crank is also the one putting the meat in!

Do not have one person turning the crank whilst another feeds the meat for the same reasons as above. And above all: don't let children do any meat grinding.

I'm writing this because I did see a man lose his finger through using such a home-built contraption. And no: the doctors couldn't sew it back on. It was too mangled. (Pun intended.)

You have been warned.

Sharpedge
Old 09-13-2007, 11:03 PM

i will agree on that sharpedge.Although i do have a converted grinder it is cheaper that way but your right about it being dangerous.My mom lost two fingertips becauase she stuck her fingers a little too deep.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the warning and we thought of that when we build the grinder. I will try to get some pictures out this weekend but what we did was build a cover the a stuffer attachment so that our fingers are no where near the grinder. I too have seen someone get there finger in the crank style but luckily they only lost the tip of there finger. I should have suggested that a person never convert without first thinking of the safety aspect.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:08 PM

Default sausage stuffer

I noticed that Princess Auto has a sausage stuffer on sale right now for $14.44. I have never made sausage before, but for the price it might be worthwhile to try. They also have some hand (finger!)grinders and one that can be motorized.

Check out the link: http://www.princessauto.com/_osn.cfm...SAGE%20STUFFER

Anyone ever used one of these before?? Are they any good??

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"