Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 PM

Ok
Sorry
I made an assumption.

I heard from Hillcrest F&g that they were in promising talks with fish cops- go t about allowing seniors to possibly use quads.... or usequads to haul out critters after you shot em.

Both fine ideas in my opinion.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-14-2018, 09:44 PM

No problem. I know you don’t talk out your azz either.

Like I had mentioned in an earlier post that there could have been more thought/ solutions into creating a workable solution with quad users(porcupine, Livingston, castle, and now bighorn????). This was never the intention with those that ok’d the shutdowns as they stand now. That is all the hunters who use quad and OHV associations wanted.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:51 PM

I agree

There was a distinct ‘double cross’ from what the user groups were discussing to what initial and subsequent ohv restrictions were.

I’m confident stuff will change when the regime changes next year.

We just have ta wait.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-15-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Really. Got your bull early in porcupine hills?? Thought you had a 400 ish zone 6 point draw. Or did you get it in porcupine?

And “by foot”, you mean by your horses foot, right?

Happy for your buddy. Ok, guess one guy is not upset,,,,,,, and those guys with horses that have an advantage over others now.

Enjoy the rest of your season on horseback.
No Joe. We did not use the horses on this last hunt. All on foot except we drove from town to the forestry. Horses are not really an advantage or else everyone would be using them.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:01 AM

I agree with one of the above posts that it would be great if people had the opportunity to retrieve a downed animal with a quad, the issue is always going to be enforcement; much easier just to shut everything down unfortunately.

And to be honest, it really doesn't appear that the quad restrictions are stopping people from driving in there as it is right now. Like I mentioned earlier, there were a ton of people who "didn't know" that there was no longer quad access off the designated trails. Until there is some sort of enforcement, guys are always going to break the rules.

DR
Old 11-15-2018, 05:52 PM

I have a issue with those white and green maps. You cant tell **** on them except for certain land marks on them like fire tower for example in 305. There are so many trails thats its hard to decifier whats the main trail they speak of compared to where ur at. They needed to print a SATELLITE image so you can point out ridges, meadows, and other landmarks.

And really a $200 dollar ticket aint gonna stop people from driving their quad in to un designated trails. Well worth it to get my elk considering it seems like my elk are 1000$ a year type thing when you factor in everything if that means bagging it the first day out. Its never gonna change unless government is booted...also i agree that they need to implement allowing hunters to use their tool aka quad to retieve down elk or any big game from the back forty. People will pull the trigger hot or cold so why not help aid in recovery so we dont have spoiled meat.