Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2018, 07:51 AM

Default LEGION this morning

Getting ready to head down to the Legion for the ceremonies in front of the Cenotaph
To all those who have served or are still serving , my most sincere thanks from myself and my family .
I always remember to thanks our Arned Firces members whenever I say Grace , but Rememberance Day to me is especially important .
Thank you all.......
Cat
Old 11-11-2018, 08:09 AM

Default Thanks to all that served and died so we can live in a free country

Vimy ridge
Old 11-11-2018, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Vimy ridge
My Grandpa was at Vimy ridge, they were gassed, I think it was orange gas they said. He was always sort of distant and never talked of the war and passed away fairly young from the poison gas.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
My Grandpa was at Vimy ridge, they were gassed, I think it was orange gas they said. He was always sort of distant and never talked of the war and passed away fairly young from the poison gas.
It was mustard gas in WWI. Agent orange did not come around until the Vietnam era, it was used to kill the jungle foliage.

Two great uncles died in the 1930s in their 40s. They were both gassed in 1916 during WWI.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the post Cat, I'll miss being there , standing in front of the cenotaph by that Legion Hall. I had the privilege of being the chaplain / padre there for a couple of years. Hope the weather was good for you. Sometimes it was pretty cold and blustery (but that was okay).
Today (I am currently serving in a church in Trenton, Ontario as an interim pastor) I led a Remembrance Day ceremony during our worship service. Trenton being a military town (Air Force - 8 Wing), we had CF members in dress uniform participating. It was all very moving.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM!
Old 11-11-2018, 01:32 PM

We attended the ceremony at Calgary's Military Museums, as usual there was a good turnout. There was a significant security presence from CPS with the usual tac team spotter & sniper members on overwatch from the museum roof, though I also saw some other tac team members when I was checking out a Mercedes van similar to my own; as I walked past the van from the rear there were two grey-clad officers inside it with their AR-15's slung. I got a laugh out of them with an off-hand comment I made. While the ceremony probably has half the attendance of an NHL hockey game, perhaps it has the more robust and highly-visible security present due to the general make-up of the crowd being largely conservative folks presenting a more tempting target to certain groups who might want to attack such a crowd?

MP Kent Hehr's speech ended with barely any audible applause whatsoever. I had to get a chilly Caber Jr some hot chocolate and walked over to the food truck during the local NDP MLA's speech; I didn't notice much, if any, applause after that one either.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the thread Cat.
For a small town, ours had another very good turn out. Great to see.
For the first time in many years, I didn't wear my uniform and sat in the general crowd.
Thanks to all who have served, past and present. We can never say enough about their sacrifices.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:23 PM

Great thread Mr. Cat .... our Remembrance Day service at the Nexsource Center was packed, was honored to participate in the Sylvan Legion's Color Party today carrying the Canada Flag as we marched to the Cenotaph were local dignitaries place the wreaths .... very special.

D.