Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 07:55 PM

Default Headlights

I do a lot of commuting for to work and about this time of the year it's all in the dark.

I use a 09 Jetta and was thinking about improving the lights to something a bit brighter such as many modern cars have but still remain legal.

What have you guys put in your 10 year old vehicles to improve the headlights?
Old 11-07-2018, 08:17 PM

There are a few ways to go about doing this but may I point you in the direction of a fantastic website - Daniel Stern Lighting.

Go to his site, read a bit of the tech info and make an informed decision rather than follow the latest trends out there. You may be surprised at some of the misconceptions about what constitutes better lighting.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Put these in my 2007 Tundra, almost twice the light from stock, and not too white. Has a nicer yellower light.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...4332p.html#srp
Old 11-07-2018, 08:39 PM

I had an hid kit for years before the ballast went. I'd do these now as I was eating up regular halogens on the bad roads.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...2691p.html#srp
Old 11-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Banned

Geez, we've never had a discussion about headlights and pool noodles for awhile
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 PM

Thanks guys I'll check out your suggestions.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
I had an hid kit for years before the ballast went. I'd do these now as I was eating up regular halogens on the bad roads.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...2691p.html#srp

I've had these and ones like them. They'll burn out in less than 18 months most of the time.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I do a lot of commuting for to work and about this time of the year it's all in the dark.

I use a 09 Jetta and was thinking about improving the lights to something a bit brighter such as many modern cars have but still remain legal.

Just do what 99% of the city folk do and drive with your high beams on everywhere you go.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
Just do what 99% of the city folk do and drive with your high beams on everywhere you go.
What is with that lately?! Maybe the past 2 years it’s gotten really bad here in Edmonton. I’ve kindly told them at light that they have their high beams on after following me for the last 5 minutes, could even see the high beam light on their dash and they are still oblivious. Ok not to derail the thread but that erks me in a big way.

I’ve used some of the lights from Canadian tire, they do provide good light and look better but you do replace them often. If your light bulbs are easy to change out it’s not bad, but if they have them in a crappy spot it’s almost not worth your time.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:40 AM

I use these in my 4Runner too. Much better than the factory bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
Put these in my 2007 Tundra, almost twice the light from stock, and not too white. Has a nicer yellower light.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post

VW's are a b**ch to change the headlights, the housings aren't big enough to house an LED or HID, it could end up costing ya big $$$

Goodluck!
Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM

get led bulbs. just be sure to tip the halogen housing down a bit so as not to blind everyone
Old 11-08-2018, 05:48 PM

The best thing you can do is get a retrofit kit and build your own headlights.

Put a HID projector inside the existing halogen housing and put an HID kit in it.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:59 PM

I still remember when Halogen Cibies were the shiz back in the 70s and my Dad sold them at his dealership.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltburner View Post
get led bulbs. just be sure to tip the halogen housing down a bit so as not to blind everyone
Agreed, I find the white and blue lights are blinding. I have one truck on my commute that has bluish tinge light and of course he also has his fog lights the same and on all the time. I have to put my hand up to block the lights when he goes past.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
X3
Old 11-09-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
The best thing you can do is get a retrofit kit and build your own headlights.

Put a HID projector inside the existing halogen housing and put an HID kit in it.
Couldn't agree more.

There are even company's and individuals that will do the work for you, you just send them your buckets and projo's and they will retrofit them for you.

Buddy just had some done for his Tacoma, some dude in Calgary did them for him, think he said he found him on Instagram. He did a fantastic job on them.

Even the El cheapo projo's off FleaBay are superior to a stock halogen light but not nearly as good as a true retrofit. That's a good place, if not the best place to spend money on a vehicle.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPants View Post
What is with that lately?! Maybe the past 2 years it’s gotten really bad here in Edmonton. I’ve kindly told them at light that they have their high beams on after following me for the last 5 minutes, could even see the high beam light on their dash and they are still oblivious. Ok not to derail the thread but that erks me in a big way.
I've noticed this a lot lately too. Even on QE II I'll see people with them in on coming traffic, or I'll pass someone only to get a side mirror full of light blinding me. I think they just don't care if they're blinding people.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:21 AM

PIAA bulb replacements are pretty good. I used these in my 2009 2500HD. Cant remember the version (4000K I think) but they were definitely brighter and I did lots of night driving with work.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:26 AM

This thread reminded me of a Service Manager that Corporate in Toronto sent out to make some calls with me.
Left Calgary and made calls in Banff and Jasper-cutting back East getting late and I was getting quite tired around Rocky Mountain House.
Ask if he can drive and he says ok.
Guy was in his late 30's swerving down the road pulls over 5 minutes out of town unable to continue driving.
Confesses that he is from Toronto and has never actually driven on a highway with out streetlights.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:08 PM

Factory lights are the way they are so you don't blind on coming traffic. These super bright lights seem like the best thing since sliced bread but think about the people on the receiving end.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 PM

I put led eagle Canada bulbs in my 04 Sierra. They are awesome nice and bright but not blinding to oncoming traffic. I got them off Amazon, under $50 I think. I do a lot of night driving, and was going through a set of $70 headlights a year. On year 2 with these, have never had anyone flash me yet.

Matt
Old 11-09-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Factory lights are the way they are so you don't blind on coming traffic. These super bright lights seem like the best thing since sliced bread but think about the people on the receiving end.
Your thinking of people that put HID's or super bright bulbs in their factory housings.

A proper projector headlight has a razor sharp cutoff point that dosent throw any light at all upwards, only down.

I also despise people that put HID's in factory housings.