Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2018, 07:33 AM

Default Bed liner on quad racks ?

Anyone use this on the quad racks ? How well does it stand up and which product did you use ?

Just wondering if I should paint or use spray on bed liner ?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:53 AM

Wouldn't it get slick using it for that? Some processes do add sand to the process for traction
Old 10-04-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Wouldn't it get slick using it for that? Some processes do add sand to the process for traction
Not for the ramps. The racks on the front and back of the quad.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:18 AM

I had it on the front bumper of a Canam I bought used a few years back. Looked good and didn't chip, I liked it.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:47 PM

I took my quad racks off and spray painted them with EZ Liner bed liner from Can. Tire.
I was happy with the results.
I also stopped using bungees with metal hooks and now only use the flat bungees with plastic hooks so I don't gouge up the racks.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
I took my quad racks off and spray painted them with EZ Liner bed liner from Can. Tire.
I was happy with the results.
I also stopped using bungees with metal hooks and now only use the flat bungees with plastic hooks so I don't gouge up the racks.
How much prep did you do ?

Old 10-07-2018, 05:46 PM

I have used rock guard with good success, I sandblasted the paint to roughen it up a little. Has lasted 4 yrs so far, and still no chips, flaking, etc!
Old 10-07-2018, 09:07 PM

I used Duplicolor in the blue can. Best stuff ever. Holds up & is durable. U must let it be properly set before abuse those. Few days of warm temps. I have it on my vehicles as well.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:31 PM

I had a set of racks done with Line-X, and it worked out excellent.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:24 AM

Gonna sand blast the racks and use Rustolium bed liner in a spray can. If I ever get 3 rusty bolts loosened. 1 in the front rack and 2 in the rear rack. The other 10 bolts finally came loose after 3 days of penetrating oil. Dam they were rusted in hard. May have to grind the 3 off with a pencil grinder and carbide bit.

Tip to you all, invest in a little bit of wd40 and spray a few nuts and bolts on your quads once in a while. Just to keep the rust to a minimum. You will be happy a few years down the road that you did.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Gonna sand blast the racks and use Rustolium bed liner in a spray can. If I ever get 3 rusty bolts loosened. 1 in the front rack and 2 in the rear rack. The other 10 bolts finally came loose after 3 days of penetrating oil. Dam they were rusted in hard. May have to grind the 3 off with a pencil grinder and carbide bit.

Tip to you all, invest in a little bit of wd40 and spray a few nuts and bolts on your quads once in a while. Just to keep the rust to a minimum. You will be happy a few years down the road that you did.
Sounds like your going to have it ready for hunting and ice fishing.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Sounds like your going to have it ready for hunting and ice fishing.
Was all done until I decided to pretty it up. Will be Ready this week sometime less a headlight bulb. Gotta wait 1 more week for that to arrive. Hopefully I can get it sand blasted today, bed liner / paint the racks tomorrow then re-assemble , gonna try to pretty up the plastic using paint thinner and a boiled linseed oil mixture, rub it on and wipe it off / elbow grease style. Should be done by the end of this week.

How much does a rear seat that sits on the back rack cost ? Any idea ? If it's too pricey i won't buy one.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 AM

Sand blasted and Painted the racks with Rustoleum truck bed liner. Looks great ! Will have to wait and see over time how well it holds up. Feels pretty hard after a day, I'm sure it will get harder as it cures in a week or so. I'm very happy so far.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Was all done until I decided to pretty it up. Will be Ready this week sometime less a headlight bulb. Gotta wait 1 more week for that to arrive. Hopefully I can get it sand blasted today, bed liner / paint the racks tomorrow then re-assemble , gonna try to pretty up the plastic using paint thinner and a boiled linseed oil mixture, rub it on and wipe it off / elbow grease style. Should be done by the end of this week.

How much does a rear seat that sits on the back rack cost ? Any idea ? If it's too pricey i won't buy one.
The rear seats range anywhere from $250 to $600 depending on how fancy you want to get. You can go bare bones where it's not even a seat, just a backrest/box or go as fancy as one that comes with tail lights, armrests, etc.

Check out Rapid Revolutions if you're in Edmonton. They can take you through the options and set you up.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:36 AM

Oh and if you go with one of the ones that is actually a seat, make sure your cargo rack is rated for the weight of passenger plus cargo. Some (Mine) are only good for 150 lbs or so unless you upgrade the rack. This is why they make the units that are just backrests, ends up saving you lots if you don't need to put weight on it.