Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2018, 07:12 AM
Banned

Default FIFA Soccer World Cup starting today.

Who else is also excited about the FIFA World Cup starting today in Russia? Let us know your favorite country to win the world cup. As for me, I think Brazil.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:18 AM
Banned

I Guess i am not the only one here
Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 AM

I would think Germany has an excellent chance with a very deep bench of talent and a strong, disciplined style - Brazil although a strong team, is far too inconsistent for me.

I'm just looking forward to seeing some great soccer and have set my PVR to record all the games.

Teams like Portugal and Italy are disappointing to watch and seem to advance by squeaking out ties and marginal performances tournament after tournament yet they seem to finish high.

Ronaldo's antics and crying will be entertaining to watch as we watch him wave his arms in protest every time someone pushes him off the ball.

Maybe he will do a little bit of rolling around in pain grabbing his ankles too - that will bring joy to me.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I would think Germany has an excellent chance with a very deep bench of talent and a strong, disciplined style - Brazil although a strong team, is far too inconsistent for me.

I'm just looking forward to seeing some great soccer and have set my PVR to record all the games.

Teams like Portugal and Italy are disappointing to watch and seem to advance by squeaking out ties and marginal performances tournament after tournament yet they seem to finish high.

Ronaldo's antics and crying will be entertaining to watch as we watch him wave his arms in protest every time someone pushes him off the ball.

Maybe he will do a little bit of rolling around in pain grabbing his ankles too - that will bring joy to me.

Yes someone cannot underestimate the German team at this world cup. They have a very big chance as well. I am hoping that Brazil and Germany will have to face each other again at this world cup. I knew the Brazilian are yet to forget the 7:1 humiliation.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:08 AM

Spain, France, Belgium, Germany in the Finals. Spain to win.

Germany is my team
Old 06-14-2018, 08:18 AM

DEUTSCHLAND!!!!

Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Banned

Argentina or Brazil
Old 06-14-2018, 10:46 AM

Thumbs up

Start Saving money for tickets for the 2026 World Cup
Old 06-14-2018, 11:49 AM

Another for Germany.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:23 PM

Being German I have to be pessimistic about our Elf. I think not taking Sané wasn't a good decision and we will have issues without proper strikers.
That considered I doubt Germany will make the final, the rest is open and will probably hold some surprises. France might make it.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:40 PM

After seeing Ovi party so hard, I want Russia to win at home.

Off to a good start 5-0
Old 06-14-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

No worries about Italy, they didn't even qualify
Serbia 🇷🇸 is my team ( but I know they will disappoint, as always &#128548.
And mother Russia 🇷🇺 next !!
I think 🇫🇷 France will be in the final
Brazil has the most talented team that can not play together 🤷🏻*♂️ for some reason
German machine is always dangerous. Spanish just lost ther coach, so no finals for them ( I think) Portugal 🇵🇹 will disappoint as well. Croatia 🇭🇷 has very good team, and could surprise many
My PVR will be working overtime
Old 06-14-2018, 01:58 PM

Watching soccer is like watching paint dry, the dives are also pathetic. I'll say Canada, oh right they didn't qualify again!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:30 PM

I am rooting for Portugal but I have chosen Brazil to beat Germany in the finals 2-1.

I love how people love to hate on Ronaldo. Most of the people that hate him have not taken any time to actually watch him play. In fact I'd be surprised if any of them know what team he plays for in the Spanish League.

Say what you want about Ronaldo but 3 Champions League victories and a EURO cup in three years does not happen by accident.

Ask Messi how well he has done over the last 3 years...

Last edited by madshawn; 06-14-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM

Does anyone know where they will be airing the games outside of cable sports packages and the likes?

I don't have cable..
Old 06-14-2018, 03:47 PM

Being born in Brazil, I'm partial to them every year, but the ass whooping that Germany gave us in the last World Cup was so intense, they are the ones to beat without a doubt!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 PM

The English National team visited an orphanage in Russia today prior to their opening World Cup match. "It's heart breaking to see their little faces with absolutely no hope" said Vladimir, age 6.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
The English National team visited an orphanage in Russia today prior to their opening World Cup match. "It's heart breaking to see their little faces with absolutely no hope" said Vladimir, age 6.
LoL
Old 06-14-2018, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
DEUTSCHLAND!!!!

That is funny
Old 06-14-2018, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Argentina or Brazil
Yes its now or never for Messi
Old 06-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
Being German I have to be pessimistic about our Elf. I think not taking Sané wasn't a good decision and we will have issues without proper strikers.
That considered I doubt Germany will make the final, the rest is open and will probably hold some surprises. France might make it.
Germany won't have miss Sane at all. Germany doesn't depend on an individual player. However, it would have been a plus for them if he had been included in the team.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Banned

Default Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
Watching soccer is like watching paint dry, the dives are also pathetic. I'll say Canada, oh right they didn't qualify again!
Come 2026
Old 06-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Banned

Poland is going to win. We were so close in the Euro cup two years ago and we will for sure beat Germany! Half of Bundesliga is Polish.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post
I am rooting for Portugal but I have chosen Brazil to beat Germany in the finals 2-1.

I love how people love to hate on Ronaldo. Most of the people that hate him have not taken any time to actually watch him play. In fact I'd be surprised if any of them know what team he plays for in the Spanish League.

Say what you want about Ronaldo but 3 Champions League victories and a EURO cup in three years does not happen by accident.

Do you really want to defend / discuss Ronaldo as it relates to his childish tireless diving and arm waving / protesting antics?

Many people share my opinion - and it's prevalent amongst many fans globally. There are hundreds of tantrum or diving compilations on him on the internet.

He's an outstanding player - maybe amongst the best in history - BUT - His behaviour far overshadows his talents to many fans like myself.

As far as my comments being or coming from "an uneducated perspective" ..... I watch La Liga religiously and regularly see Real Madrid play. I also enjoy the Bundesliga.

And ... if you, yourself, are such a big Ronaldo / RM fan boy and watch LaLiga you would know your comparison to Leonel Messi, is ridiculous.

Lionel has battled serious injuries over the last 2 years .........and missed a ton of time over the last 3-4 years.

How did Ronaldo compare to Messi when he was injured and Leonel was healthy? How does the shoe fit on the other foot?

Either way .... you need to understand where my comments come from ....

There is an unwritten rule in international play about sportsmanship. You "normally" don't see nearly the amount of diving, complaining, etc.. in these tournaments and for good reason. Players who are chosen to represent their countries know enough to give it rest and save the "gamesmanship" it for club play.

The unfortunate thing, for many of us who do see his tremendous talent, it seems to be overshadowed by his behaviour.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pare View Post
Germany won't have miss Sane at all. Germany doesn't depend on an individual player. However, it would have been a plus for them if he had been included in the team.
Of course that was/is always the strength of the team, but many of the players had weak seasons and didn't play very consistent. I think it will greatly depend on the daily form of (too) many players this year.
The 'old guys' with lots of tournament experience are gone (Schweinsteiger, Podolski, Lahm, Klose), there's no real 'leader' type like they had in the past to push the team forward (Ballack, Kahn etc) when required. I don't have high hopes to make it to the final, 2nd place in the group already means facing Brazil who I don't doubt win their group.
I think it'll be great learning experience for the team to grow together and that's where Sane is missing in my opinion. I think chances 2022 will be higher.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post

A thought occured to me - since both players have been healthy this season ........and ...... if you look at this weeks stats - Messi has scored 34 goals versus Ronaldo's 26 goals in La Liga.

He also leads him in overall in all competitions combined.

Maybe that was a great question you asked.

Food for thought.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:44 PM

Germany all the way
Old 06-14-2018, 07:46 PM

maybe not Spain with all the politics going on
Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hunter View Post
No worries about Italy, they didn't even qualify
Serbia 🇷🇸 is my team ( but I know they will disappoint, as always &#128548.
And mother Russia 🇷🇺 next !!
I think 🇫🇷 France will be in the final
Brazil has the most talented team that can not play together 🤷🏻*♂️ for some reason
German machine is always dangerous. Spanish just lost ther coach, so no finals for them ( I think) Portugal 🇵🇹 will disappoint as well. Croatia 🇭🇷 has very good team, and could surprise many
My PVR will be working overtime
Italy has been on a downward spiral for the last 6-7 years and it didn't surprise me when I watched some of their games over the last year or two attempting to qualify with a old tired team and old tired tactics of parking the bus and playing not to loose instead of playing to win.

Russia doesn't have the depth. They will go nowhere despite their group selection and even if they get out of the first round they are done in the second.

Serbia has some quality. They will, like always represent themselves well and nobody will take them lightly. That team is improving.

Brasil is exactly how you put it - they have tremendous depth, perhaps a talent pool deeper than most top 20's - but they can't seem to put it together when it counts.

Germany is the solid favourite. They have it all and are playing well.

Croatia, without a doubt, is, like usual, the tournament dark horse. they can beat big teams in big games but seem to "relax" with the less dangerous opponents and are frustrating to watch when they revert to these tactics. If they go into it attacking, they have the pace, depth and ability to hand out some big disappointments to some really strong teams (like they have done so many times before).

Spain will move the ball, control the game and set the trap. They are always dangerous and always quality. they will lull you to sleep then quickly string together a couple nice passes and you are bending over digging the ball out of your own net. They are my second choice.

Portugal will squeak out ties and garnish enough points to, once again, get into the final stages having not won a single game in regulation but, then again, not losing one either. Another team that can be frustrating to watch. I haven't seen many games over the last year or two - so maybe they are different - probably not. Nevertheless, not a team to overlook.

Belgium will smoke everyone (including England) in their group and move onward. They are the most improved team over the last 5 years or so. Quality football from consistent performers like Hazard, Kompany, Fellaini and Lukaku is required but all the rest of the guys are solid contributors on their club teams and starting 11's. They are going to be dangerous and solid. My third pick.

Argentina, although ranked like 4th or 5th or something like that, are overrated IMO. They are dangerous and capable but when faced with Big teams they fold like a cheap deck of cards - Spain smashed them in Feb or Mar and handed them a 6-1 beat down - they looked out of their element. Problem for them is they are qualifying and playing in a confederation with few quality opponents. They do have quality, they do have depth, but can they bring up their game to the level it needs to be - they can do it - they just need to get their stride.

It going to be another great tournament.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post

Good one !!