Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 05:44 PM

Default Acreage Trees

Any recommendations for some faster growing trees to put on a new acreage?
Old 06-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Fast growing usually means shorter lives. Poplar, Laurel leaf willow and Caragana (if your'e looking for a windbreak). From 30 to 60 years lifespan.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:57 PM

If you can get the Canadian government shelter belt programs old website it has very good information. Too bad they sacked the program few years back. We planted 150000 trees from them over the years. The free trees are gone but the website still worked last I checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 06-10-2018, 06:50 PM

Of all the trees on my place, the poplars have grown the fastest.

25 years later, of all the trees on my place, the ones I wish I had less of are the poplars.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:32 PM

Default Trees

I planted a bunch of Assiniboine poplar that I got from boreal horticultural services in 2009. I used a skid steer and drilled a 36” deep hole for each tree then filled the holes with screened topsoil. I fertilized and watered for th3 first few years and the growth was absolutely amazing. Within within 6 years they were as tall as the power lines and now at 9 years, they are taller than the lines and getting thicker every year. They have a website and are based out of bonnyville.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:56 PM
Banned

Manitoba Maple
Old 06-10-2018, 08:33 PM

I have a choke cherry tree . Planted 12 years ago it's like a weed .
Old 06-10-2018, 08:50 PM

cottonwoods and river bottom poplars grow fast.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:46 PM

For fencelines and a low windbreak even though it is seasonal hemp grows really fast. You can have a dense 6 to 14 foot tall stand along a fence in a few months. Grows great in Alberta too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hemp.jpg (113.8 KB, 210 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-11-2018, 07:15 AM

I agree with the poplar comments. Caragana doesn't have a short lifespan though. You can coppice them and they last forever. If you want something more showy go with lilacs. Any willow will grow rather fast but needs moisture and should be planted away from foundations and pipelines (sewer etc.).
Conifers are slow but have benefits.

I opt for a mix of a lot of different trees and shrubs. You will get different use out of them. Look up treetime.ca for a reasonable priced option if you want seedlings to start with. They also post information on shelterbelt planting etc.

Also, don't forget fruit trees. Edible is always great, cherry and apple also make nice wood for smoking. You can grow them from seed yourself if you are patient. Again, a good mix of them all is my preferred way to go.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:11 AM

Default trees

Russian poplar were one of fastest growing trees, check with Alpac mill in Athabasca they are planting fast growing polar on farm land as future feed for
world scale pulp mill.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:48 AM

A lot depends on your soil type and drainage. In my well drained areas I’ve planted a bunch of white pine. They grow fast; 12-20” per year. I plant a few every year because I can’t stand not seeing some green in the wintertime. Poplars etc are fine, but come wintertime everything is completely barren.

In the slightly moister areas I have some Siberian larch. Consistently grow 2’ per year. And they look awesome in the fall. But again, go bare for the winter.

Wetter areas I have diamond willows, paper birch and griffin poplar. All grow fast.

The slow growers are any spruce without a doubt. 6-8” per year we seem to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Don't forget Saskatoon cultivars for fruit trees in shelter-belt plantings also.

Another downside to willow species is their proclivity to dropping twigs and even whole branches in cold and or windy conditions . lots of extra work pruning dead wood and picking up deadfall in spring. Running over the fallen branches is tough on mower blades.

Last edited by Moosetalker; 06-11-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:29 AM

One of the fastest growing? Swedish aspen/towering poplar. Good for tree rows or lining driveways. Plant close together
Old 06-11-2018, 11:38 AM

Lodgepole pine is a good choice and stays green in the winter.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:42 AM

This is a great question as I am looking for more trees to plant as well.
My acerage soil is quite poor, very rocky/pitrun under the surface. We have many spruce trees in the front yard but would like to plant some trees along property line (about 300-400 feet) and then more fruit and nice trees in the back yard. The moose and deer have had their way with many that we have planted so I think I am going to have to cage anything new that I plant. We also have a low spot with a pond that has some willows that seem to do well there. the water soaks away fairly quick because of the rocky subsoil. Anyway, keep the tips coming guys, and places to get bulk orders. I would like to start with bigger trees to begin with, haven't had much luck with the little twigs as starters.

Cheers,
SS
Old 06-11-2018, 03:40 PM

28 years ago I planted laurel leaf willows. About 25 years ago I started regretting planting them. Every time the wind blows the yard is full of branches, the eavestroughs are always full of leaves. This coming winter they are going to meet mr. chainsaw.

If I had to do it over I would just plant spruce and pine.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone! I have some homework to do!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 PM

Sea Buckthorn is good for a shelterbelt .

The berries can be eaten and sold , make a tea from it too .

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex1007

http://naturalsociety.com/23-health-...miracle-berry/
Old 06-12-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
28 years ago I planted laurel leaf willows. About 25 years ago I started regretting planting them. Every time the wind blows the yard is full of branches, the eavestroughs are always full of leaves. This coming winter they are going to meet mr. chainsaw.

If I had to do it over I would just plant spruce and pine.
I did exactly the same thing 30 yrs ago and regretted it ever since. We cut down 13 of them so far. They make good firewood as they are almost a hardwood.

Whatever you do, do not plant Laurel Leaf willows as you will curse and swear every time the wind blows.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:43 AM

If you are going to plant an evergreen, go pine. On my acreage there were a couple of rows of spruce, the carragana got into it and choked out the spruce. The pine has a tap root and will take dry weather better.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:04 AM

have a look at treetime.ca I have ordered from there a few times and have been very happy. Just finished planting 330 trees last week.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:00 PM

It's good to see so much interest in tree planting .

My Uncle had a farm in southern Alberta with caraganas around the home area they gave shelter and nesting areas to many birds , he had a dugout and a pond which he slowly filled in . Then he retired and sold the farm to the Hutterites who removed the trees , filled in the dugout , everything gone , just a field where mono-cropping is done .

All those pot holes on the prairie made it a paradise for birds , now the vast majority of the small wet lands in southern alberta are gone .