Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 10:55 AM

Default Accountant

I'm a contractor in the oilfield and am looking for a new accountant. I'm not liking my current one and want to find another one, preferably in the Calgary area, but that's not a deal breaker.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:03 AM

I would go with a larger full service firm such as MNP. As your needs change they have the resources in house to take care of what you need at the time. I started off with a small family based accountancy however found that their services and expertise didn't quite cover everything I needed as time went on.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:29 AM

I live in Calgary but use Dan St. Arnaud out of Sherwood Park for both business and personal. One of the best I've used over the years. http://sps-ca.ca/
Old 06-12-2018, 11:37 AM

I would recommend staying away from big firms like MNP.
Try Churchill Michelson Wylie in Airdrie. I am not a client but I had a free consultation once and they were super nice. They suggested I am smart enough to do my own and they were right (doesn't mean it's right for you).

PS: They helped me along with a lot of valuable info for free. Setting up was the hardest for me.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:58 AM

http://www.pricecomin.ca/

Super, Fast, Honest

Cardston, Alberta

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 06-12-2018, 02:42 PM

My parents have used Horizon group for the last 15 or 20 years, and I don't believe they have ever had a problem. They are located near Kensington.
http://www.horizongroupcpa.com/
Old 06-12-2018, 06:21 PM

Personally I think it depends on the business. Are you hiring folks, buying out of country, getting involved in complex contracts, etc. If so I would start at a larger firm in terms of tax strategy/organization. Do this in conjunction with your lawyer to tie off your risk profile. If not, most smaller CPA forms are going to understand the accounting side but may not know you or your business.

For the smaller firms you may get to a better relationship. From my experience your accountant should be on your side and know what you need, not just plugging a tax return/wcb filings, etc

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 08:57 PM

My wife is a senior financial advisor at a bank in Calgary. Im sure she can help with any issues you have or need sorting out. At the very least she would be able to point you in the right direction to a reputable accountant. She does not work on commission, lol. I’m just throwing that out there for the people that think I’m trying to line my pockets. Lol. She does numbers, I repair motorcycles. It’s a perfect match.
Tullfan
Old 06-12-2018, 09:15 PM

Myself and a few guys I know use Kapasi & Associates. No complaints.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:47 AM

thanks for the info. My accountant use to be good and now he just basically puts numbers in and files returns. If he doesn't feel something is a writeoff, then he doesn't even ask me about it, just puts it in as income I have taken out of the company, which in turn has led me to paying way more taxes than I should be.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:17 AM

I've used Roberts & co. Since i started my own business 18 years ago. They are located on 4st n.w. never had an issue and they seem to really stay on top of the changes as they come through.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:55 AM

I've heard this guy is really, really good:

We use MNP at work, our last guy there wasn't great, same office but switched personnel, and our new one seems really good.