Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Banned

Default Investing- Anyone here invests?

Just thought I would start a thread for any of the investors on this forum.

My portfolio is minimal now since I sold most of my cannabis stocks before they plummeted.

Share what you guys speculate and may invest or not invest in!

P.s DO NOT invest in Bitcoin
Old 02-02-2018, 11:36 AM

Are you talking stocks or just investments in general? All depends on your stage in life I suppose and your ability to take risk. I too am still in the MJ stock game but holding a long position. Oilfield investment in the USA has been profitable the past couple of years. Farm land has been good. As well as real estate. Most of these are long term investments. I do play the markets for fun and have done ok but usually keep money in some stable companies offering decent dividends. Best return on my $$ has been investing in business. Whether it be my own or someone else. In my opinion business is where the money is made to fund all other investments.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEDHEAD View Post
Are you talking stocks or just investments in general? All depends on your stage in life I suppose and your ability to take risk. I too am still in the MJ stock game but holding a long position. Oilfield investment in the USA has been profitable the past couple of years. Farm land has been good. As well as real estate. Most of these are long term investments. I do play the markets for fun and have done ok but usually keep money in some stable companies offering decent dividends. Best return on my $$ has been investing in business. Whether it be my own or someone else. In my opinion business is where the money is made to fund all other investments.
Investing as in stocks and investing in real estate and gold. I am just on stocks now.

I am diversified. Don't want too many eggs in one basket. I invested in Blackberry since they dropped smartphones and started to get into self driving car software. As well as now I plan to hit up some "romance" stocks for February like Hershey and 1800-Flowers.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:53 AM

Investing is a great way to build your own type of financial insurance IMO.
I have used to it to pay off debts and to fund guns and other essentials for the house.

That being said, even a savings is a good start.

If you have enough extra cash though, have you looked at crypto currency?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 PM

Everyone invests. They may not consider it as such, but the consequences are the same. For me, financial management is a component of the overall ‘portfolio’. I subscribe to Covey’s seven habits as a guide to investing in life. Health, relationships, and career development are other components of that portfolio. One should review what their objectives are when considering a ‘financial’ investment. Does a dollar return have higher value than say education which may lift you into a higher income level, or deter layoffs from work. Taxation is likely your largest financial burden. Consider ways of reducing that charge against your income. Interest is the other nasty. Be clear of high interest debt.

I know a couple of fellows who are full time investors. They sit in their offices with a dozen monitors running as many business streams. On edge, riding the roller coaster. Not my thing.

I personally like asset based equities, but have ventured into small business start ups. I’m having some fun with the latter because I can poke around, talk directly to the principles, and enjoy a few perks (chalet in Whistler for instance).

There is a clear rise in the US stock market, which in my view will continue. As a hedge against Canada lagging behind, one should be vested in the US to some degree. How much should be portioned alongside those lifestyle components
Old 02-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
Investing is a great way to build your own type of financial insurance IMO.
I have used to it to pay off debts and to fund guns and other essentials for the house.

That being said, even a savings is a good start.

If you have enough extra cash though, have you looked at crypto currency?
Crytocurrency is a terrible way to make money. I kind of felt bad for people scrambling to find ground when it plummeted. It still continues to go down. I know enough about it that I would not invest in it seriously. Just day trade it and get out. Same as marijuana, today people literally panic sold because they know nothing about the stock market, see a little bit of read and freak out, resulting in selling and more red.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:21 PM

Cryptocurrency has had its day. And it wasn't today or the last 24 hours.

http://fortune.com/2018/02/02/bitcoi...hereum-ripple/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-02-2018, 07:09 PM

Yup if you had stocks over the last year and hung on to them, you've pretty much lost whatever you gained in the last week with a few rare exceptions. It's gonna keep sliding if you ask me. Back down below 14000 on the tsx. If you are brave jump in on the big losers and catch the bounce Monday morning then bail out again. Maybe recover a bit of your loss. Good luck. Been there done that.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Yup if you had stocks over the last year and hung on to them, you've pretty much lost whatever you gained in the last week with a few rare exceptions. It's gonna keep sliding if you ask me. Back down below 14000 on the tsx. If you are brave jump in on the big losers and catch the bounce Monday morning then bail out again. Maybe recover a bit of your loss. Good luck. Been there done that.
I know it will keep going down. I talked to a few of my old finance professors and they knew it was coming, everyone basically knew it was going to burst. My father in law lost a few thousand since he made a mistake and thought it will keep going up, up and away for at least another month. Looking at the charts, a bad Friday means a bad Monday. I will wait till Wednesday to buy, unless my program kicks in and buys while I am still sleeping. I put in buy prices that are all at least 20% lower than prices are now. Just to be safe. If I don't happen to buy anything I will not cry either.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Banned

ACB is worth about $1.50/share.
Anybody that thinks otherwise has been smoking too much.
The pot heads are the result of ACB's max 5,63 billion market cap.
Don't be surprised if pot stocks go to less than half their real value.
It's an inverse game play now, otherwise steer clear till the next years.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
It may be the pot heads, but I doubt they have enough money to throw into stocks right now haha. I honestly heard about these stocks back in April last year and thought it was a joke, probably should have bought them and sold them in December. The reason the price went up is the same reason Bitcoin went up, people dumping their money into it.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:49 PM

market had a slight correction today.. could be more coming in the next bit , maybe put money aside until a good deal come up . GE is at 15$
Old 02-05-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
they are putting the extra capital to use now , buying 10% of liqueur depot and getting $120 million in rebate from the NDP
Old 02-05-2018, 04:12 PM

Great time to still buy oil stocks. Id be investing heavily in USO fund etf right now.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Great time to still buy oil stocks. Id be investing heavily in USO fund etf right now.
ETF are bad ideas most of them are there to be middle man and take their share of fees , better to go direct with a company that paid a strong dividend.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
ETF are bad ideas most of them are there to be middle man and take their share of fees , better to go direct with a company that paid a strong dividend.
No not all of them. You can get some with ultra low fees like Vanguard and Ishares etf.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:56 AM
Banned

Look at the 10 year chart here, for today, then look to your left at 2008.

http://www.cboe.com/delayedquote/adv...rts?ticker=VIX

Careful, if you're not mostly in cash you might pee yourself a bit.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:02 AM

It’s ugly ... some sector is going to give then down come the domino .
Old 02-06-2018, 09:42 AM

Smile Investing

Time frame in your life is everything. Usually once you are in your 40's, debt is low or manageable and time to build wealth. First focus is on your Self-directed RSP and TFSA. I focussed on Index funds (Mutual or ETF) and high dividend paying stocks (google best dividend payers...usually banks, pipelines and tech). ReInvest the dividends until you are in your 60's, then start taking the dividends as Income (which is a very low tax rate). You can speculate on stocks and their potential to increase in value, but you also need to pay attention to potential Capital Gains (and taxes due). Speculate within the TFSA, where Gains are not taxed. If you speculate and win, take out your profit early ( amount of your initial investment) and put it into the blue chip dividend payers. Learn about chart interpretations to help determine when to buy and sell ( 5 yr history is good). Big item is to PAY OFF DEBT...amazing what you can do when you have more free cash flow.
I'm retired now, have helped the 2 kids a lot, and living a good, worry free life.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
It’s ugly ... some sector is going to give then down come the domino .
So which sector will it be?

What part of the market is flooded?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Investing as in stocks and investing in real estate and gold. I am just on stocks now.

I am diversified. Don't want too many eggs in one basket. I invested in Blackberry since they dropped smartphones and started to get into self driving car software. As well as now I plan to hit up some "romance" stocks for February like Hershey and 1800-Flowers.
Stock prices don't work like that for your thinking on buying romance stocks in February. The expected sales and returns are already priced into those stocks. The only thing that will move those stocks up or down is IF the expected sales are lower or higher than predicted. Plus their profitability and sales are looked at on an quarterly and annual basis, so one normal event will not have any price impact.

Now.....IF there is a significant event that creates a sudden need for MORE chocolate and flowers than normal, it would be a good bet. Halmark is another stock in your category. But my guess is that with the #Metoo and other societal changes such as quick hook up sites like tinder, these romance stocks are going to suffer over the long term. I'd be more inclined to short them.

With the legalization of pot, I'd short Canadian market based liquor related stocks, as there is a lot of evidence that the two products are tied into a substitution type of consumption (ie the increase in one correlates to a decrease in use of the other).

Even if you don't like shorting stocks, its good to think of which ones to avoid.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:08 AM

I look at macro picture first. Then chisel down to sectors, with Macro always in my mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBFF87A3-D2F9-451F-B334-DB06521C59DE.jpg (27.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
So which sector will it be?

What part of the market is flooded?
thats a billion dollar question , just stick to what you know and don't wonder off to unknown territory . personally i have about a hand full of stock that i stay with for the pass 10 years , and been on the buy low and sell high roller coaster take lots of patience and the cycle might take a years to run( this is what i learn and its costly to chase them..better to wait for it ) , example RL is one of them they seem over price now, but last year they were hammered down to 70's . i sold it at 90's because that what i think they are worth ... i never would short a stock because that something i dont know much about . keeping in mind investing for long terms and making 5% a year on the banks dividend , its better the banks paid in interest .

Last edited by fishtank; 02-07-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
With the legalization of pot, I'd short Canadian market based liquor related stocks, as there is a lot of evidence that the two products are tied into a substitution type of consumption

I'll buy into pizza parlors then.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:00 AM

Default Avoid Canada

Buy America: This is a good write up from a Investor forum.
Cheers
PB43

Talk about reckless investing in the future…..isn’t the election of our Fairy Princess PM exposing a similar failing of the mindset of millennials who voted for The Vacuous Sock Puppet……BiteCoin and Trudeau…..all fluff and hype….no substance.

Bitecoin is going to zero and so is Trudeau’s poll numbers….but here’s the sad and terrifying difference….a few bitecoiners get burned and will hunker down in Moms moody bsmt to lick their wounds…..but Trudeau is actually tearing Canada out of the ground by the foundations. He’s the political equivalent of the bubonic plague on the economy. No matter what the unions and CBC will tell us with phone numbers…the fact is that spilling 100 billion on the balance sheet and hiring hundreds of thousands of politically correct colour coded civil servants from religious ethnicities Trudeau can’t spell is not an economy….its a disaster.

Now Trudeau’s senior advisor….the failed Democratic Party campaign advisor David Axelrod has set up a foundation funded by George Soros in Chicago alongside his ex bosses library….the nefarious manipulator Barack Obama. Trudeau is speaking there and stating Obama’s preferred position that Canada should kill NAFTA so that the Democrats can use it as a center piece in the US midterm elections.

There has been a flurry of failed Democrats hurrying in and out of Ottawa….Biden, both Obamas and Bill and Skillery Clinton…..all to convince our boy blunder to face off with Trump to allow a public relations gambit to play out. George Soros is happily funding all this ….even though our boy blunder gave 250 million Canadian tax payer dollars to the Clinton Foundation…..who….surprise surprise….are making millions in donations to a Trudeau’s re election slush fund…..the Pierre Trudeau Foundation…..how scummy and neat.

Hundreds of billions in foreign capital has already flooded out of Canada. Trudella has made it abundantly clear that Canada is an American Democratic apartheid controlled dictatorship and no businesses will be allowed to invest in our resource industry. David Axelrod, George Soros, Gerald Butts and Trudy the Goofball…..are Canada’s four horsemen of the apocalypse. Do you wonder why the Canadian stock exchange is experiancing another year of malaise? If you were a global investor, would you touch Canada with a ten foot pole? Free trade with our best friends is dead according to Trudeau at his Chicago venue today……the dictatorship of China is what slipped out of Fart Boys lips not so long ago…..and why…..because Americans don’t want competition from Canada and they want to use our country to look like a Trump victim…..and Trudeau is all for that.

As far as it goes as an investor, I’m all in to the “Buy American” story….and the dividends are just as sweet….don’t be a fool….leave Canada.