Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I disagree.... DO NOT go down to the police station. I know several people who were invited down to the station for various reasons
Free boat giveaway!
Old 01-28-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

If it is something serious, just understand that their job is to get the evidence for a conviction, and they really don't care about your side of the story. YOU CANNOT TALK YOUR WAY OUT OF IT SO SHUT YOUR HOLE!

Call a lawyer, and sit tight until we can get you out. Talk to no one means talk to no one. Not the undercover who just fought with the guard and called cops stupid. Not the Janitor who is so nice. Not another inmate. No one but your lawyer, understand???

Form 21 is correct. Pay or Stay, is correct.

Drewski
Yup
Old 01-28-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Bushleague,

I just do this stuff to make a living. I'm a U of A Law School grad class of '89and in private practice ever since. Don't listen to my advice, you sound so much more experienced. What's your Bar Number?

Too bad for your relative. If he had JUST PAID THE BALANCE OF THE FINE HE WOULD HAVE WALKED!!! if that really is the story.

The fact is, the harder you make it for law enforcement, for some CRAZY reason, the harder they make it on you. Just makes it easier on them and their workload for you to come in and clear the tickets. They respect that.

If you want to simply stick your head in the sand and think an investigation will go away, party on. There can be a lot of delays on a weekend to get a JP hearing if they pick you up on a warrant. By god, you can sit for days waiting for the JP, and that is the best case of getting charged, not outstanding fines. Or you can go down on a Tuesday Morning after speaking to Counsel so that they know to be on the ready to help.

If you have a reasonable constable, and not a scammer, he will usually talk to you if it is tickets overdue. Otherwise, he will want to "talk to you to hear your side of the story".

If it is something serious, just understand that their job is to get the evidence for a conviction, and they really don't care about your side of the story. YOU CANNOT TALK YOUR WAY OUT OF IT SO SHUT YOUR HOLE!

Call a lawyer, and sit tight until we can get you out. Talk to no one means talk to no one. Not the undercover who just fought with the guard and called cops stupid. Not the Janitor who is so nice. Not another inmate. No one but your lawyer, understand???

Drewski
I never recommended sticking your head in the sand and waiting for the investigation to go away, but if you don't have the money (the only logical reason I can think of for not paying ones tickets), then how will intentionally getting yourself locked up help anything? Not me, I wouldn't go to the station until I had the money, one way or another.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 AM

I actually did a reverse number lookup on the CRA call, and it was (supposedly) located in downtown Ottawa. The fellow (heavily accented) wanted all sorts of detail from me. I was more than a tad suspicious, and told him all dealings go through my accountant, who they had on file, and no, I would not give them any info, as it was on file. He was not happy with me, and tried all sorts of things to get my info. I promptly called CRA, who confirmed it was a hoax. The fellow even did a check to confirm there were no outstanding charges... which I was confident of.

The reason I even went so far as to double check was years ago I got a grant for school. At some point they decided they had overpaid me, and I needed to pay me back. Prolly not an issue if I'd known about it. They sicced a collection agency on me which left a notice on my credit rating. I managed to get a hold of a senior OSAP official, and blasted a strip off them. My parents still lived at the address on file, and they had never tried to catch up to me.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:13 PM

So, got the call again, googled the number and as above came up with an Ottawa area location. Also, pages of people advising this is a fraudulent operation. Phoned the RCMP, who asked if I sent them money ? You're joking, right ? Apparently, they won't open a file, unless someone has actually sent them funds, but the gave me the number of the Canadian Fraud centre. One can't help but believe they have no interest in shutting these people down.

Grizz
Old 02-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Banned

I just received a call from a Shawn white with the CRA asking for money
I thought it was Justin Trudeau at first asking for taxes on money I haven't made yet
Old 02-02-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Bushleague,

I just do this stuff to make a living. I'm a U of A Law School grad class of '89and in private practice ever since. Don't listen to my advice, you sound so much more experienced. What's your Bar Number?

Too bad for your relative. If he had JUST PAID THE BALANCE OF THE FINE HE WOULD HAVE WALKED!!! if that really is the story.

The fact is, the harder you make it for law enforcement, for some CRAZY reason, the harder they make it on you. Just makes it easier on them and their workload for you to come in and clear the tickets. They respect that.

If you want to simply stick your head in the sand and think an investigation will go away, party on. There can be a lot of delays on a weekend to get a JP hearing if they pick you up on a warrant. By god, you can sit for days waiting for the JP, and that is the best case of getting charged, not outstanding fines. Or you can go down on a Tuesday Morning after speaking to Counsel so that they know to be on the ready to help.

If you have a reasonable constable, and not a scammer, he will usually talk to you if it is tickets overdue. Otherwise, he will want to "talk to you to hear your side of the story".

Drewski
Is there a website I can check to see if they are still out to get me or do I need to call the station. The cops can trick me or do they have to tell the truth? Do I have to pay a lawyer?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-02-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Is there a website I can check to see if they are still out to get me or do I need to call the station. The cops can trick me or do they have to tell the truth? Do I have to pay a lawyer?
Contact 403-266-1234.
They will ask you to come in because you cannot, or should not conduct a CPIC check with someone over the phone whom you cannot confirm identity. You don't need to pay a laywer. Depending on your situation, if it's not serious, then chances are they are something called Form 7 endorsed which means they can release you on a promise to appear with a new court date pertaining to those original offences.