Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Exclamation Chemical Engineering help!

I recently applied at NAIT for PE Technology, but since my application has been sent they have bumped the competitive average up to 83% and I am afraid I might not be able to pull threw with that. So now I am searching for a second route to take.

My 2 best options so far are:
CHEMICAL ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY
INSTRUMENTATION ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY

I would like to see what your opinions are on these courses, is it worth doing them? Or am I better off upgrading my academics to be able to take PE? Any input at this moment would help me greatly, as I must come to a decision by the end of June.

Just for the record, I have an 80% average in my academics if that helps, my strong points being chemistry and math!

Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Why Not wear the Iron Ring. Engineering.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 PM

Don't forget Electrical engineering tech. Lots of opportunities as we'll.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:16 PM

Alberta Engineering Forum?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 PM

People talk about a lot of stuff on here other than strictly Outdoors? He is just looking for a little advice and a lot of Alberta Outdoorsman on here have been in the workforce for awhile. What's the big deal.

Gord
Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM

Both sound like good options to me. What does the Instrumentation Engineering cover? Do you know what kind of instruments you would be working with? If you can get hands on training on the same instruments that are being used in the industry currently I can see that working out in your favor.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishead View Post
People talk about a lot of stuff on here other than strictly Outdoors? He is just looking for a little advice and a lot of Alberta Outdoorsman on here have been in the workforce for awhile. What's the big deal.

Gord
It just seems to me that there are quite a few people who join only to get free advice on schooling/oilfield/careers, and then never post again on any related subject matter.

A few high post count members get a rough time for not posting about outdoors activities enough, so why not point it out when someone joins without any intention of getting in on the subject matter this forum was set up for?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:44 PM

Default It Depends

Where your passions lie, they are all very different fields of study. Your grades sound good enough that a bit of upgrading will get you anywhere you want to go. If you are really good at stuff like chemistry, then chem E tech is for you. Petroleum engg tech is a lot of pure math on voluemtrics and a lot of data manipulation. Instrumentation engg tech is a good fit for folks that like physics. These fields get very little spotlight so your question is quite common.

I'm a Mech E and to the day he died, my dad thought I drove a train.

Zeke
Old 04-07-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
It just seems to me that there are quite a few people who join only to get free advice on schooling/oilfield/careers, and then never post again on any related subject matter.

A few high post count members get a rough time for not posting about outdoors activities enough, so why not point it out when someone joins without any intention of getting in on the subject matter this forum was set up for?
Fair enough.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 PM

OP, I don't know about NAIT, but I'm taking Mechanical ET at SAIT and planning to take a two year upgrade at SAIT to an applied bachelor's of petroleum engineering. They take MET, CET, EET, Petroleum ET, and Power ET grads into the program. I know the big service companies hire field engineers with the applied bachelors.

Or I could take a six month summer bridge afterward and go into 3rd year mechanical engineering at UBC or U Vic.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post

I don't really have a problem giving any advise I can to someone that may need it, especially in a voluntary setting such as this. No one is forcing anyone to open up a thread, read it, and reply to it. There is also not a finite number of forum member spots that would be taken up by these one time posters.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:59 PM

From what I have seen power/chemical engineering techs usually end up in the same spot as power engineers/process operators. Lots of chem techs end up as process operators that have to write a 4th class to carry out certain roles.

I think it is probably better to go for process/chemical engineer vs just an engineer tech. I see lots of chem tech guys taking jobs that companies will hire some one with half a fourth for.

Thats just my opinion though, I imagine more is out there beyond the walls of the places I have worked- pulp mill and a petrochemical plant
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
I don't really have a problem giving any advise I can to someone that may need it, especially in a voluntary setting such as this. No one is forcing anyone to open up a thread, read it, and reply to it. There is also not a finite number of forum member spots that would be taken up by these one time posters.
No, but there is other threads more relevant that end up being bumped down the page.