Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2019, 12:48 PM

Default Beware Update

I would just like to warn you good people aboutWest country canoes.
I sent this company $600.00 as a deposit in December 2016 and he sent me a contract that said the canoe would be ready September 2017, I phoned him in October 2017 and told me that he had been ill and it would be another month ok.
I phoned him in January 2018 and he told me another two weeks, I phoned in end of February and was told another two weeks, So I asked him to send me a picture of the canoe in progress and I was told he could not do that, so I asked if there was a canoe being built and thats when he got abusive to me and said he would cancel the contract and send my money back to me.I phoned in June 2018 and asked where my money was and he told me that I would never see my #$%^& money. It is now 2019 and still waiting for my deposit to be returned. Steve!
Old 03-07-2019, 12:55 PM

Interesting first post. Thanks for the warning. Have you posted this on Google Reviews and the other sites. Maybe a little social media pressure will change his mind. Small claims court might be a useful idea too.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, I am not the only one to loose money another fellow lost $2700.00 and no canoe, This guy is a real scam artist and yes it is posted in BC as well. Steve!
Old 03-07-2019, 01:28 PM

Well I hate to be the one to inform you but you only have 24 months in Canada to sue somebody, he probably knows that and he strung you along on purpose.
You might get lucky and he doesn't know that but I doubt it.
I would suggest rapidly getting a third party Recovery Agency involved.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-07-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Well I hate to be the one to inform you but you only have 24 months in Canada to sue somebody, he probably knows that and he strung you along on purpose.
You might get lucky and he doesn't know that but I doubt it.
I would suggest rapidly getting a third party Recovery Agency involved.
Ken - I think he may get an extension on the timeline, hopefully he has email or other written acknowledgement of the debt that is more recent than the statute of limitations. If not, the contracted delivery date is less than two years ago so the actual default occurred within the two year window. Your suggestion he engage a good collector is great advice.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Ken - I think he may get an extension on the timeline, hopefully he has email or other written acknowledgement of the debt that is more recent than the statute of limitations. If not, the contracted delivery date is less than two years ago so the actual default occurred within the two year window. Your suggestion he engage a good collector is great advice.
It scared me when he said December 2016. I hope he gets some satisfaction but in my experience dealing with SC Court when they see anything past 24 months they refuse the claim. Bastards need a kick in the butt.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-07-2019, 02:13 PM

Not a lawyer but my understanding of Alberta contract law is you have two years after the breach (not initial contract agreement) of contract to sue for damages. In this case, the breach would seem easy to pin point the canoe not being ready at the time stated (September 2017), or where the guy said he would cancel the contract and refund the money (Feb 2018?), as that is about as literal of a breach of contract you can get. Both are within two years.

I would talk to a lawyer. You will likely spend more than the $600 you will revover, but putting an end to this guy’s crap may be a worthy endeavour for yourself.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:28 PM

They're on FB. Bad publicity can be quite effective.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
The website looks legit too? one bad report on BBB for the same situation

The 20 ft freighter $7000 ..............looks great if it's real
Old 03-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Not a lawyer but my understanding of Alberta contract law is you have two years after the breach (not initial contract agreement) of contract to sue for damages. In this case, the breach would seem easy to pin point the canoe not being ready at the time stated (September 2017), or where the guy said he would cancel the contract and refund the money (Feb 2018?), as that is about as literal of a breach of contract you can get. Both are within two years.

I would talk to a lawyer. You will likely spend more than the $600 you will revover, but putting an end to this guy’s crap may be a worthy endeavour for yourself.
24 months from date of invoice or payment

Old 03-07-2019, 04:37 PM

June 2018 is the official date when he was told he would not get a refund and that is when the limitation period starts to run, a judge who is a liberal or just a relative can pick another date but until the contract has been put to a breach formally without question that is the date we need to follow

can a judge pick an earlier date yes but only if the OP does not get off his butt and sue in small claims right away, then the court will draw a negative inference that the conversations did not take place,

until June 2018 the OP still had the thought a refund might be coming and was entitled to hold that belief, as suggested by his wording as to what has taken place

the OP is silly (not very bright) as he should have filed a small claims immediately within a month and would be done by now

do we have guys in eckville who can speak to this guy or maybe we should all call and wish to place an order once the previous folks have their refund

just asking for a friend

Cement Bench
Old 03-07-2019, 06:59 PM

Well if he is in Eckville, why not go on a road trip?
I would have been pounding on his door within months of the contract date
JH
Old 03-07-2019, 07:12 PM

I'm surprised - I never would have expected that from them. He is a member on here, but hasn't signed on until last June.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I'm surprised - I never would have expected that from them. He is a member on here, but hasn't signed on until last June.

I remember him talking about starting a canoe building business.

Grizz
Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 PM

He is I believe the same guy that screwed 3 members here for custom paddles in the 2013 PIF thread. Bad dude.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:42 AM

Thank you for all your help, I have something in proses and can not say right now, I will let you all know what happens good or bad.
This is what he has done to someone else.Steve
Sounds very familiar Larry I was right you are a scam artist. We are going to see about this24/10/2018 On July 14 2015 I sent a $600 CAD deposit for a new canoe. 3 years and 3 months later, I still have no canoe. On July 14 2015 I sent a $600 CAD deposit via credit card for a new canoe from West Country Canoes in Eckville Alberta. The canoe was supposed to be delivered for Spring of 2016. Since then the owner, Larry ******, has used every excuse under the sun for not delivering my canoe: back injuries, supplies lost in transit, checks from the USA taking 10 days to clear his bank, family issues, funerals etc. On July 11 2018 I sent a check for final payment on the canoe of $2100 CAD and the owner told me that I would have the canoe delivered to my residence By July 27th. Today, October 24th 2018 the canoe has still not been delivered and more excuses are still forthcoming from Mr. ******. Over the last 3 years and 3 months, I have corresponded with Mr. ****** 80 times via email. I have all of these emails plus my credit card charge and canceled check as evidence of my complaint. ...
Old 03-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webley View Post
Thank you for all your help, I have something in proses and can not say right now, I will let you all know what happens good or bad.
This is what he has done to someone else.Steve
Sounds very familiar Larry I was right you are a scam artist. We are going to see about this24/10/2018 On July 14 2015 I sent a $600 CAD deposit for a new canoe. 3 years and 3 months later, I still have no canoe. On July 14 2015 I sent a $600 CAD deposit via credit card for a new canoe from West Country Canoes in Eckville Alberta. The canoe was supposed to be delivered for Spring of 2016. Since then the owner, Larry ******, has used every excuse under the sun for not delivering my canoe: back injuries, supplies lost in transit, checks from the USA taking 10 days to clear his bank, family issues, funerals etc. On July 11 2018 I sent a check for final payment on the canoe of $2100 CAD and the owner told me that I would have the canoe delivered to my residence By July 27th. Today, October 24th 2018 the canoe has still not been delivered and more excuses are still forthcoming from Mr. ******. Over the last 3 years and 3 months, I have corresponded with Mr. ****** 80 times via email. I have all of these emails plus my credit card charge and canceled check as evidence of my complaint. ...

Saying that you are doing something that you can not talk about sounds like you are doing something immoral or illegal.

I would strongly suggest you stick to legal means with matters such as this, a couple grand is not worth a Criminal Record. I really like travelling outside of Canada, being squeeky clean is the only way that is allowed.
I hear all the time 'I have friends on loud bikes that will go get the money owed for a portion charged' which is contributing to organized crime, and even worse at some point the leather clad enforcers will demand a favor in return even after they have been paid.

Pick your hill to die on, literally. This battle is not worth the road you may be going down.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Saying that you are doing something that you can not talk about sounds like you are doing something immoral or illegal.
Thanks for the reply,I am not doing anything illegal am just waiting to see the outcome and I will let you all know. Steve!
Old 03-08-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

Listing gone from facebook now....waonder why
Old 03-08-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I sent this company $600.00 as a deposit in December 2016 and he sent me a contract that said the canoe would be ready September 2017, I phoned him in October 2017 and told me that he had been ill and it would be another month ok.
I phoned him in January 2018 and he told me another two weeks, I phoned in end of February and was told another two weeks, So I asked him to send me a picture of the canoe in progress and I was told he could not do that, so I asked if there was a canoe being built and thats when he got abusive to me and said he would cancel the contract and send my money back to me.I phoned in June 2018 and asked where my money was and he told me that I would never see my #$%^& money. It is now 2019 and still waiting for my deposit to be returned. Steve!
2016 let him keep the money you will never see again .
Old 03-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Banned

Pay him a visit.

With a jerry can full of water and a pack of matches

Last edited by Kurt505; 03-08-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:54 PM

I don't know about you guys but I decided to look into this a little deeper as his operation is only a few miles from my shop. Posted on his info page are some pretty graphic pictures of what must have been some very brutal surgery followed by a fall requiring more of the same and the recovery time would have been significant and had him away from the shop for an extended period. I know its way too late to give either of you a brake after the ****ing match you guys must have got into.
I also noticed that you claim he owes you $2100 according to the negative review you placed with the better business bureau web page, assuming that this is your review and not $600.
I can't help but sympathize with both parties in this situation, by now the canoe builder will be back on his feet and should honor prior commitments. On the other hand if you were that big of a pain in the ass you are probably scared to show your face in Eckville even if the $600 was waiting for you.
Maybe the best thing to do is call the man, cap in hand and see if you can't start all over again. Sometimes the humble approach works best. D.H.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:17 PM

He didnt have surgery every year since 2013.
He is habitual.
This is not a single occurrence.
0 pity deserved.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
He didnt have surgery every year since 2013.
He is habitual.
This is not a single occurrence.
0 pity deserved.
He took the guys money. Regardless of the circumstances, if he won’t perform the work he better be prepared to pay up imo.

Too many scumbags not paying these days.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
I don't know about you guys but I decided to look into this a little deeper
as his operation is only a few miles from my shop. Posted on his info page are some pretty graphic pictures
of what must have been some very brutal surgery followed by a fall requiring more of the same and
the recovery time would have been significant and had him away from the shop for an extended period...
...by now the canoe builder will be back on his feet and should honor prior commitments.. if you were that
big of a pain in the ass you are probably scared to show your face in Eckville even if the $600 was waiting for you..
To repeat...

Quote:
I sent this company
$600.00 as a deposit in December 2016 and he sent me a contract that said the canoe would be
ready September 2017, I phoned him in October 2017 and told me that he had been ill and it
would be another month ok...phoned:
- Jan 2018.."2 weeks",
- February, "2 weeks",
- Asked him to send a picture of canoe, "could not do that",
- Asked if there was a canoe being built, he got abusive/would cancel the contract.
- Phoned June 2018, asked, where's my money?
he told me: I would never see my #$%^& money.
It is now 2019 and still waiting for my deposit to be returned.
Steve!
David Henry,
Please make an appointment with Lenscrafters, your reading eyes may
be failing you..this entire ordeal sounds much like the unfolding Tom hanks nightmare movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLcjUmBncZ8
Old 03-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Default Beware update

I received a certified money order this morning from West Country canoes, and I would like to thank every body who helped me,I know a few on this site hit his facebook, You people put my faith back in humanity. Thanks Steve!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I received a certified money order this morning from West Country canoes, and I would like to thank every body who helped me,I know a few on this site hit his facebook, You people put my faith back in humanity. Thanks Steve!
Woohooo!!!

They system worked! Lol

Old 03-13-2019, 03:25 PM

Outstanding. Would be better yet if he apologized too but as long as you got your money that is the biggest thing.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:32 PM

Thumbs up

No kidding. After this long, that much $ in the jeans would be like winning a small lottery! Gravy!

(the bastard still needs a kick in the berries)