Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2009, 01:41 PM

Default Winchester 100 .308

My dad just gave me this rifle that he bought back in 1974. It served him well as a deer rifle.

I did some searching on the internet and got some hits about a faulty firing pin.

Is this true?

Also I was wondering about the rifle itself. Has anyone owned this rifle? Is it good? What sort of things do I have to watch for?

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron
Old 01-09-2009, 04:27 PM

Winchester issued a bulletin on the firing pin back in the 90s. If you do a little research you can find the 1-800 number. I used it about 2 months ago & the lady that answered the phone was helpfull. If you take your rifle to a gunsmith & have him take it down then send the pin to them they will send you a new firing pin ,a few bucks to cover some of the cost and add your S/N to a file for future reference. Only complaint is keeping the action clean requires a little bit of work.You will need to remove the stock to get at all the moving parts.
Overall I liked mine, fairly light and fit me well.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Gone Hunting

I have a couple Model 100s and have been meaning to call the 1 800-852-5734 number to check if they have had the warrenty work done. (I just got that number from a google search on "Winchester Model 100").

I have not had and hunted with these rifles long but have always thought they are a really good alround sort of rifle.

Robin in Rocky