Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM

Default Newbie Deer Scouting & Hunting - Input Please

Hi all, I am looking for input on how to approach a property I have permission to hunt.

The Details:
1/4 Section with gravel road on the West side, Bush North and East and Hay field south.

Cleared area about 150-200 meters wide along gravel road with tree islands along West side.
Marginal Cutline along South border - not sure of it runs the length of the property or not.
There is a dugout near the North edge also near the cleared area mentioned above.
The rest of the property is pretty full of bushes and Aspen or Poplar trees etc. I am not sure about trails or clearings within this central area.

I know there have been some decent deer (in my opinion - not giants) taken here and it has not been hunted for awhile. What is the best way to scout this area without spooking game, what do I look for, what are the best places to set up.

How much exploring can I do without running deer off the property?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr1 View Post
Hi all, I am looking for input on how to approach a property I have permission to hunt.

The Details:
1/4 Section with gravel road on the West side, Bush North and East and Hay field south.

Cleared area about 150-200 meters wide along gravel road with tree islands along West side.
Marginal Cutline along South border - not sure of it runs the length of the property or not.
There is a dugout near the North edge also near the cleared area mentioned above.
The rest of the property is pretty full of bushes and Aspen or Poplar trees etc. I am not sure about trails or clearings within this central area.

I know there have been some decent deer (in my opinion - not giants) taken here and it has not been hunted for awhile. What is the best way to scout this area without spooking game, what do I look for, what are the best places to set up.

How much exploring can I do without running deer off the property?

Thanks in advance.

Trail Cam!!!
Just make sure your sneaky so it isn't stolen.. seems to be an on-going problem
Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Trail cam x2... or set up far enough away where you wont bother anything and glass the area and get an idea of whats going on where your cameras arent...
Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 PM

Google Earth or Bing. Look at it from above and will help you make a game plan as well.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 AM

Sure trail cameras but some foot work helps to. Look for well used trails. See if more animal foot prints go in on the trail than go out. Some trails are two way & see where there favourite drinking hole is.

If yo are going to be using a tree stand or ground blinds then look for a good place to put them up. Do that now while it is early, mark it off with trail tape, that way the animals will not be panicky come hunting time.

I have scouted during hunting trips & simply let the deer see me & never fire a shot. I saw what I wanted & went & hunted another location, then the following week I went back & bagged a buck, but not the buck I saw during the scout, I left that area alone & hunted another spot in the area.

I scouted the original area again this year & it looks very promising. I am going for another scouting trip in a couple of weeks & maybe get my tree stand up & leave it up then bow hunt come bow season August 25th.

Get those cameras up & have fun scouting.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:21 AM

Thanks Guys,

I was out today and found some trails and possibly good spots for cameras. Now I need to buy some...

Also, the Google Earth tip was a great one. I printed it off and toured the area, found some good intel.

I appreciate it!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:05 AM

Wink Newbie Deer Scouting & Hunting - Input

X2 on the trailcam, if you dont want it stolen take a ladder. Mount it at least 10' up, with the right angle you'll get the pic's your looking for.
P.s. dont leave the ladder there!