Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Default Apples

Anyone need any free apples , I have a tree in the back yard that needs picking ,they are only golf ball size, but should be good for something .
North east Edmonton
pm me .
Old 08-20-2009, 10:51 PM

many hutterite colonies will come and pick ya clean if ya give them a call.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:54 AM

Are those the good sized crab apples? If so I wouldn't mind a few. If nothing else would like to get 5 acres or so growing for a "deer orchard". pm me with info
Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 AM

Hmm. I've got a bunch of apples to get rid of too (in north-centre Calgary). None of them got big this year, but we've got one crab apple tree which usually produces bigger apples (very small this year). We've also got an apple tree, which has also produced smaller apples this year.

The Hutterites have traditionally taken them, but they didn't come to get them last year.

If anyone wants any of these, they're free for the taking and I'll help you pick them.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Anybody with excess crabapples here is a little something to try. Fill a one gallon jar with washed and end cut crabapples, pour a bottle of your fav spirits over top, ( we have tried whiskey, dark rum, spiced rum, vodka and gin.) The rums and vodka are great, the rest are just okay. Top up the rest of the gallon jar with boiling water mixed with sugar to taste. No sugar leaves a very tart drink, a cup of sugar can be quite sweet. Screw the lid back on with Saran wrap under the lid and leave in the pantry for 3 to 6 months. It is good to turn the jars once in a while as well.
Leaves a crabapple flavoured liquor type drink that is excellent on ice. One of my friends even munches on the apples after he drains off the liquid. We have kept some for over 2 years and it seems to improve with age....if you can keep your hands off it.
I am also blessed as my wife makes the WORLDS BEST crabapple jelly !!

Keep Your Powder Dry
Dave
Old 08-21-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
Anybody with excess crabapples here is a little something to try. Fill a one gallon jar with washed and end cut crabapples, pour a bottle of your fav spirits over top, ( we have tried whiskey, dark rum, spiced rum, vodka and gin.) The rums and vodka are great, the rest are just okay. Top up the rest of the gallon jar with boiling water mixed with sugar to taste. No sugar leaves a very tart drink, a cup of sugar can be quite sweet. Screw the lid back on with Saran wrap under the lid and leave in the pantry for 3 to 6 months. It is good to turn the jars once in a while as well.
Leaves a crabapple flavoured liquor type drink that is excellent on ice. One of my friends even munches on the apples after he drains off the liquid. We have kept some for over 2 years and it seems to improve with age....if you can keep your hands off it.
I am also blessed as my wife makes the WORLDS BEST crabapple jelly !!

Keep Your Powder Dry
Dave
we are also crabapple jelly makers...so good...this year a few jars will have some slices of hot peppers added to them....grown in my garden as well....that, makes a great treat...just the right amount of tart, sweet and fire.