Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 AM

Default Elk hunting 509

Have a draw for elk in 509 this year never hunted that area for elk any hints where i should start looking or asking for permission have did some homework on the area just wouldnt know where to start heard was hard hunting there i dont mind walking 600km if i have to avid hunter but help is always good when not from the area thanks again
Old 07-11-2019, 01:57 AM

Two of the biggest bulls I've ever seen (other than maybe down in the prairies in the peak years) came out of 509 years ago. No idea what its like these days but my guess is permission is likely your biggest piece of the puzzle and spending time scouting it to learn it really well.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:57 AM

I haven’t looked but I’m assuming antlerless right?? Do you live in or close to the zone ?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 AM

There are defiantly elk in 509 for the most part they are all in the river valley popping up into the fields to eat mostly at night I would start knocking on doors now as permission is fairly tough to come by for Elk in that zone and hunted fairly hard.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
There are defiantly elk in 509 for the most part they are all in the river valley popping up into the fields to eat mostly at night I would start knocking on doors now as permission is fairly tough to come by for Elk in that zone and hunted fairly hard.
This^^
Concentrate your efforts on finding access roads into the Crown lands along the river and gaining permission to leases,deeded land,and crop fields adjacent to same.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:46 AM

509 is extremely hard to hunt for elk. Mainly permission is the issue. Yes there are elk in the river valley on crown land but alot of it is not accessible unless your a goat. As stated permission is key. Good luck hope you get your elk. I have permission and didnt get my draw
Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 AM

509 elk - good luck getting permission. Or you can join the other 10 guys bugling from the road.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 AM

I can only speak to the herd that hangs on the east side of 509. Permission is tough(friends own little parcels of land and it took them a long time for the locals to say yes). The herd is always on the move once they start getting hunted.

Then you have a big outfitter in the zone and he has a bunch of exclusive permission.

But the elk are there and some give you access so start asking now is my advice.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:46 PM

Default Elk hunting 509

Thanks ya i heard was a tough area but i like the challenge anyways be once in lifetime one i never hunt that way i stick to my home town for elk usually hunting 22 years hunting 18 bull elk not to bad record but thought id try something diff thanks for all the advice much appreciated for sure