Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 10:44 AM

Default Experiences with Federal Power Shok Copper?

As the title states, does anyone have any experience they would be willing to share with regards to Federal’s Power Shok Copper rifle ammunition? Looks like the Barnes Tsx, no tip and no grooves in the body. As well it’s labelled as copper alloy, fair bit cheaper than Barnes factory ammo as well.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:36 AM

Trophy copper?
I use it as I can no longer get the loads I want with tsx. Haven’t noticed a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2019, 11:58 AM

It’s the cheapo power shok copper stuff. Same blue box ammo with an all copper bullet vs the lead cup and core one. I haven’t been able to find much info on it. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:59 PM

I picked up some 130gr 270win to try, they shot pretty good out of my Tikka T3, not as good as the 150gr Fusions but still just under an inch at 100m. My only problem was that according to the box they shed ft/lbs of energy quickly, might be due to the hollow point compared to tipped bullets. With the Fusions shooting so well and performing perfectly on everything I've shot up to and including cow elk I just don't see a reason to switch.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
As the title states, does anyone have any experience they would be willing to share with regards to Federal’s Power Shok Copper rifle ammunition? Looks like the Barnes Tsx, no tip and no grooves in the body. As well it’s labelled as copper alloy, fair bit cheaper than Barnes factory ammo as well.
If anything those bullets are similar to original Barnes X bullets not TSX. TSX was upgrade from X bullet by introduction of grooves to reduce copper fouling and reduce pressure of the loads.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 PM

I bought a box of the Federal Trophy Copper ammo by mistake and in my 270wsm it shot great. It was 130 grain, not sure if it’s the same bullet as the blue box ammo but it’s federal and an all copper bullet. Couldn’t tell you how it works on game, I only shot paper with it but it grouped under an inch pretty constantly.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:21 PM

It liked my 30-06 browning this season. I have completely switched to copper for hunting and compared it to Winchester GMX, Federal trophy Copper and Barnes VOR-TX. I hunted with it this year as the groups were equivalent but the price was way better.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRED View Post
I picked up some 130gr 270win to try, they shot pretty good out of my Tikka T3, not as good as the 150gr Fusions but still just under an inch at 100m. My only problem was that according to the box they shed ft/lbs of energy quickly, might be due to the hollow point compared to tipped bullets. With the Fusions shooting so well and performing perfectly on everything I've shot up to and including cow elk I just don't see a reason to switch.
The only reason to switch would be to get ZERO lead in your meat. I know this sounds out there.. and I had to be convinced to believe from a research station guy..then read up on it myself.. but as soon as your lead core bullet fragments into a game animal you will be eating trace amounts of lead, even if the bullet went through vitals and not on meat your actually eating. Really only an issue if you eat huge amounts of wild meat or are a small person.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:56 PM

I shoot the Barnes TSX but have tried the federal coppers and found that they grouped considerably worse than the barnes. Every gun is different though. I have a buddy that swears by the federals.

Found the bullet in an elk a few years back, made me glad it was copper. I won't shoot lead hunting.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:09 PM

Default Performance Update

Had a chance to try them out this weekend on 2 bears. Ammo grouped sub moa out of my m70 and and performed without flaw. To be fair, both shots were under 100 yards so plenty of velocity. Currently sitting about $22 less than the same grain in Barnes Vor-tx.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
Great bullets! Typically have a higher ballistic coefficient than Barnes. Have been as accurate or better than the factory loaded Barnes that I've shot in my 308 and 06. Minimum expansion velocity is 1800 ft./s, as is Barnes TSX/TTSX [I sick closer to 2000 FPS with the Monolithic's]. I prefer Barnes and Trophy coppers over Hornady GMX's and Nosler E-tips. You can't go wrong with the Fed's IMO and they are cheaper. Another great bullet is the Federal Trophy bonded tip. Lead bullet combined with a copper shank so you get best of both worlds with expansion and penetration.