Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2015, 03:46 PM

Default Flu

Well this week the flu has kept 10 out of our 15 employes home.
Some have been sick for over a week .
Anyone else have it ?
Old 01-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Kids and grandkids have it. Any of us with the flu shot...no.

I admire people who go to work or school sick, and those who forego vaccinations. It creates a lot of revenue for the poor drug companies and just generally makes everyone's life more challenging. Challenge is good ?Right?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 PM

Its tearing throught my shop.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:25 PM

Wife was substitute teaching (retired now) and said 25% of the teachers in a particular school were out the other day. I thought that suspicious, but from what you guys have said, and teachers having to deal with hundreds of germy little snot monsters, perhaps it's not surprising at all.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Wife was substitute teaching (retired now) and said 25% of the teachers in a particular school were out the other day. I thought that suspicious, but from what you guys have said, and teachers having to deal with hundreds of germy little snot monsters, perhaps it's not surprising at all.
Yeah I have 3 of those "snot monsters" in school. Always notice it. We are healthy all summer as soon as sept hits.... Well I'd say it's no coincidence. Me and the wife are suffering through it right now. I've had worse, just the hot, cold. And zero energy. Think it's on the way out. Things are slow at work so Ive stayed away as much as I could over this week.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:40 PM

comes in waves for me .....feel good then 15 min. feeling like the flu ,no throwing up nothing just that flu feeling and no energy. been 5 days and counting
Old 01-21-2015, 05:47 PM

Wife and I both had what we assume was "the flu" in early Jan...no nausea or vomiting but deep chest congestion, sore joints, no energy....for a couple of days. We both had shots,but obviously came in contact with the other strain.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
comes in waves for me .....feel good then 15 min. feeling like the flu ,no throwing up nothing just that flu feeling and no energy. been 5 days and counting
Yeah sounds like the same strain as me. Definately had worse but still sucks, especially when things need to get done!! Oh well plenty of rest and fluids.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:59 PM

Heard on the news the other day that the flu they prepared this year is only 25% effective for the flu strain we actually have. Basically they guessed wrong bb
Old 01-21-2015, 06:13 PM

Not quite . . .

Of all the strains of flu that are in Canada right now, this years flu shot is only effective against ~25% of them. Some years they get it right, and some years ... no so much.

Some of these ideas should help ... http://www.health.com/health/conditi...250939,00.html

Got my fingers crossed!

Mac
Old 01-21-2015, 06:17 PM

Had it bad for two weeks, and feeling lingering effects after 5 weeks. These things are nasty nowadays.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Banned

Ghost peppers never fail me for the flu...
Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 PM

Went through our house some i worked through it got rid of it faster than the rest and i work outside, but it was nasty even my fingers hurt i am convinced they are creating a stronger flu with there vaccines,
Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 PM

We need some good cold weather to kill this bug.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Well this week the flu has kept 10 out of our 15 employes home.
Some have been sick for over a week .
Anyone else have it ?
YYC has it bad. My son, wife and I had it but Im over it now. Air Canada has lots of people down and out for the count.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 AM

It's probably not the flu I got, but since boxing day until like 5 days ago, I've been sick everyday with an uncontrollable dry cough. I gotta say, I've never been sick for this long ever in my life. Although I was an idiot for not going to the doctors because it didn't felt "that bad". As soon as I took some antibiotics, I got better immediately. Flu season is upon us, and I read somewhere a couple weeks ago about how this year's vaccine was a poor match. Wash your hands everyone
Old 01-22-2015, 11:12 AM

All the guys in work who got the flu shot Are pretty sick... Me not at all and hope it stays that way!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
It's probably not the flu I got, but since boxing day until like 5 days ago, I've been sick everyday with an uncontrollable dry cough. I gotta say, I've never been sick for this long ever in my life. Although I was an idiot for not going to the doctors because it didn't felt "that bad". As soon as I took some antibiotics, I got better immediately. Flu season is upon us, and I read somewhere a couple weeks ago about how this year's vaccine was a poor match. Wash your hands everyone
I had that same cough, feels like it's going then bang coughing all over again, this lasted 3 to for weeks for me...
Friggin chest was sore from hackin all day...
Old 01-22-2015, 12:23 PM

Default Flu

I had/ have it, it's weird though. I don't feel that bad overall just occasionally have excruciating stomachs pains, they go all th way through me and actually make my back sore too. At first I thought it was my back acting up, it woke me up at night and I couldn't believe the pain. Everything seems ok now so I think ill live
Old 01-22-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJoe View Post
YYC has it bad. My son, wife and I had it but Im over it now. Air Canada has lots of people down and out for the count.
That doesn't surprise me working in spaces where a lot of people are , with lots of koodies floating around.

Havn't been sick for a few years now and I never get a flu shot, it helps that I'm outside a lot and there are only 3 people working in my office.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
All the guys in work who got the flu shot Are pretty sick... Me not at all and hope it stays that way!
Same here.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:45 PM

Hi all, I have had this flu for over a month can't quit coughing, the penicillin didn't work
Old 01-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Banned

Had it at Christmas time. Keeps the old immune system in tip top shape. Kids are worse disease vectors than rats.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Hi all, I have had this flu for over a month can't quit coughing, the penicillin didn't work
Flu is a virus. It can't be cured by an antibiotic like penicillin.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:43 PM

The flu shot isn't for the "flu" where you are coughing and have an upset stomach or whatever. It helps to protect against or lessen the effects influenza which usually requires a hospital stay and can lead to pneumonia.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
Flu is a virus. It can't be cured by an antibiotic like penicillin.
My thoughts ^ exactly!

Why would a doctor prescribe penicillin for the flu

Mac
Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 PM

Yah, I had it as well. Not a fun time. I had the fever, body aches and no energy the first week. Then the 2nd week had the sinus and chest congestion and headaches. Then coughing. Then I was ok for about a week. Then this past week I got hit with a bad stomach flu, and again no energy. Coming around today though. Hopefully I'll be good for awhile now.

The wife of course things it's a "man cold". She someone managed to avoid all of this.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc gbear View Post
Yah, I had it as well. Not a fun time. I had the fever, body aches and no energy the first week. Then the 2nd week had the sinus and chest congestion and headaches. Then coughing. Then I was ok for about a week. Then this past week I got hit with a bad stomach flu, and again no energy. Coming around today though. Hopefully I'll be good for awhile now.

The wife of course things it's a "man cold". She someone managed to avoid all of this.
X2....except the wife part. Lol..that would mean I am bisexual.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonlady View Post
X2....except the wife part. Lol..that would mean I am bisexual.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I had/ have it, it's weird though. I don't feel that bad overall just occasionally have excruciating stomachs pains, they go all th way through me and actually make my back sore too. At first I thought it was my back acting up, it woke me up at night and I couldn't believe the pain. Everything seems ok now so I think ill live
Same thing for me. Stomach pains that I haven't had since I was a kid. Almost doubles me over at times. Energy levels are down but that is cause I am not eating a lot. This one has been on and off me since New Years. Very long nasty one this time.