Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-05-2019, 08:35 AM

Question Alford lake youth hunter education camp

My son and his buddy are enrolled in this camp this summer and we are very excited. I’m just wondering if anyone has had some experience and can offer any insight or ideas to make this a better experience.
Thank you and advance.
Heretohunt
Old 07-05-2019, 09:01 AM

All I can say is that it is a great camp. You can volunteer to be a chaperone. My kids did the camp 6 years ago. All instructors and camp personnel were just great. They end up with hunting licence and junior PAL.
Enjoy!
Old 07-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Banned

Based on my sons experience last year your kid will love the camp. My son and his friend were the only ones from the edmonton area during the week they went.

If there was a suggestion it would be to send your kid with a friend but it would be too late to do so at this point.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:49 AM

how old do the kids have to be to enroll?
Old 07-05-2019, 09:52 AM

My son did it when he was 12( 21 now) along with a friend. Myself and the other dad chaperoned a cabin each for the week. I have nothing but great things to say. The week was awesome for the boys, great people run and teach the camp. And chaperoning a group was a cool experience. The food they serve was top notch. Adult night on the skeet range was over the top fun.

Chaperone if you can so you can experience it with your son. I was able to take the firearms course along with the kids
Old 07-05-2019, 09:58 AM

Awesome thanks for posting ..I have a grandson who maybe interested...
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:27 AM

My two sons went there as well great place good times all the way
Old 07-05-2019, 10:31 AM

My son and his buddy are both 12 years old. I was just wondering what kind of activities they could expect? Are they a bit younger than average? Boys and girls typically there?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:36 AM

I used to volunteer at the camp to do sessions on camp cooking (of all things),
Kids enjoy the heck out of it, as do the volunteers.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Thanks for this info. My son is 11, and this looks like the perfect course for him next year (as he will be 12 and he is excited to hunt for the first time).

I might have to volunteer as well. Looks like a great cause.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
My son and his buddy are both 12 years old. I was just wondering what kind of activities they could expect? Are they a bit younger than average? Boys and girls typically there?
Back then, 12 to 16 yr olds were average. One cabin of girls to 6 of boys when we went. Aprox 50/50 class and outdoor time during the day when we went. During the evenings there is generally something to do for the kids after supper. They do push study time so we would have our cabins turn in a bit early and go over the days "school stuff", then the boys could goof around a bit before the call of lights out. They run a tight ship and expect rules and timelines to be met and followed but they are very good about it, not in your face military style.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Back then, 12 to 16 yr olds were average. One cabin of girls to 6 of boys when we went. Aprox 50/50 class and outdoor time during the day when we went. During the evenings there is generally something to do for the kids after supper. They do push study time so we would have our cabins turn in a bit early and go over the days "school stuff", then the boys could goof around a bit before the call of lights out. They run a tight ship and expect rules and timelines to be met and followed but they are very good about it, not in your face military style.
True and they will also send kids home it necessary. There’s not much stupidity that goes on
Old 07-05-2019, 01:02 PM

Went with my sons class a few weeks ago. Take extra 12ga Shells and you may get extended range time. We got to shoot an extra 150 rounds. They only supply 5 shots/ person.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:18 PM

I did this camp in Grade 5
Our entire class did this, it was our class trip in grade 5 and all got our hunter education course.
Not sure they still do this in our local school or not, that was 25 years ago or more now.
Fantastic time I had.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:38 PM

We did a wildlife ID session which was neat, Built a signal fire, Built little fires, had range time on 12ga, .223 and .22 cal. Archery. Did a compass exercise is the bush. They keep you pretty busy, a little time in the mornings and evenings for your own thing thats about it.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Went with my sons class a few weeks ago. Take extra 12ga Shells and you may get extended range time. We got to shoot an extra 150 rounds. They only supply 5 shots/ person.
Things have changed. When we had adult night on the range, we went through boxes and boxes of shells at the camps cost. Tried all the stations and different shotguns.

Even got to plink a few gongs with the .223 when the boys had rifle practice.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:51 PM

I went with my Leslieville grade 6 class in about 1985 and then I chaperoned both of my daughter's a few years ago. It was great both times. The girls even caught a couple of trout from a canoe.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Default 11 year olds

My son and his buddy both took it when they were 11 years old as they would both turn 12 before the season. Awesome experience for them. Highly recommended.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:33 PM

My grand daughter did this camp last week. She came over the day she got home to tell me all about it. She was absolutely lit up with excitement.
Like someone mentioned they shot a 223 rifle, a 22 and a 28 gauge shotgun. Archery and outdoor skills stuff as well. At the end of it she came away with her Wildlife Cert and her Junior PAL. On top of that she won a couple of draws and got a beautiful Browning skinning knife and a bore snake. Hats off to all of the people from AHEIA and the volunteers who made it possible.
What an amazing experience.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:46 PM

My son did the camp about 8 years ago. I think it should be mandatory for all new hunters as they learn so much more than just doing hunters Ed online.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:45 PM

It sounds super cool. The boys are headed there tomorrow. Any last minute tips? What to bring or expect? Swim suit?
Old 07-06-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
It sounds super cool. The boys are headed there tomorrow. Any last minute tips? What to bring or expect? Swim suit?
The lake is pretty cold. Most of the kids that tried it this year jumped in and then got out shivering. I'd say swim suit not required.

Hat, sunscreen, insect repellant. Pocket knife. At least 3 changes of clothes. Warm jacket and a rain jacket. It can rain a lot and the evenings get pretty cool. Mainly just go with a good attitude and have fun.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:25 PM

I’ve helped out there for years doing events in the fall but never during summer camp. Facility is solid, area is beautiful, one can fish and shoot all day. About my only contact with summer camp is my wife had a student that went, won/earned a guided elk hunt here in Alberta.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:43 AM

My son just completed the camp. He went alone but got three great cabin mates and their grandpa. He loved it. He had a great time and is very proud of the marks he got.
When I asked how he would rate the camp he said 9/10.
This was his second sleep away camp this summer, first was an Outward Bound camp which cost 2x as much. He had a way better time at Aheia.

And he's jacked to go hunting this fall.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:22 PM

I'm thinking because the age for youth game bird hunter's was lowered to 10 this year maybe the camp will start accommodating younger kids.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets