Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2018, 01:42 PM

Nothing like a 10 mg gummie (thc) washed down with a double dark rum & coke around 7 pm, lucky if I can make the 9:00 news and sleep like a baby pain free all night and wake up refreshed.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:02 PM

The US border should be another interesting scenario, may be legal in some states, but, is still a federal felony down there, which falls under zero tolerance for admission. Fly to the Caribbean or Mexico and stop in the US, that is a felony. US Customs hasn't said exactly what altogether, they are going to do yet, where Canadians are concerned, and the new laws up here. Guaranteed, that you'd best not be taking anything with you when you leave the country.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
The US border should be another interesting scenario, may be legal in some states, but, is still a federal felony down there, which falls under zero tolerance for admission. Fly to the Caribbean or Mexico and stop in the US, that is a felony. US Customs hasn't said exactly what altogether, they are going to do yet, where Canadians are concerned, and the new laws up here. Guaranteed, that you'd best not be taking anything with you when you leave the country.
You can't be stupid at the border for sure, but with a number of states legalizing, that may be changing too. I don't think they refuse visitors from Amsterdam. But, for sure it is a moving target.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Banned

Since I started using medically I have lost 15 pounds and I can drink milk again without getting heartburn and bad gas. My sleep patterns are very consistent when I use after getting home and my skin is better.
I don’t really use that much, I would say an average of three huge lung fulls per night but it is also an average of about 24% THC and about 12% CBD. I have noticed other things have changed too! After using one time my attention and focus are increased significantly for the next 24 hrs I think possibly because I slept so well. The nights I don’t use or fall asleep early you can usually catch me posting here at about 3:00am. At this point I can’t use because I have to work in the morning and don’t want to be impaired.
I have also found if I don’t use within a 24 hour time period my injury comes creeping back up fairly strong.
As it stands now I wake up in pain most every morning regardless of wether I used the night before. Getting old sucks! I used to go through a Costco size bottle of ibuprofen a month and now that is down to about 1/4 as I still use it while working.
Overall I think it is a very successful treatment and I feel normal again for the most part. I’m not as grouchy from pain and I am more willing to do things and be more social because I don’t hurt. It really is remarkable how well it works for pian and very quickly to boot. Before I started using my injury would drop me to my knees instantly and last for a full day. When this happens now that pain is reduced to a fraction within ten minutes and the main injury of pain is almost gone within about 1.5 hours. This is not something I am proud of nor do I enjoy bragging about my use. I think it is me saying in my own way I’m not in pain and I’m actually happy to be alive today. 😊
Old 09-11-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
could you tell me if this true?
“Using marijuana occasionally can impair your short-term memory as well as your ability to form new memories while high. But the effect is temporary, and memory function returns to normal after you sober up.”
It's more or less true, but the degree is minimal. It's not like you black out or anything.

The subtler details get lost, but the major happenings are remembered.

More or less the same as alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I never tried drugs in my life
You're a rare individual to never have tried caffeine, nicotine, or Alcohol.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
As a non-user, I would hope that any restrictions are not more severe than alcohol. I would actually be in favor of more acceptance for public use as I do not really see a downside to folks smoking it in public as long as they follow the same courtesy that a tobacco smoker would to minimize 2nd hand smoke to non-smokers.
NO down side to smoking in public??
How is there anything courteous to smoking it in public.
One spark up within 100m of me and I can smell it.
I find it repulsive and have a big issue with any use that causes someone to have to smell it.
I find it ironic that there's argument to letting it be smoked in public yet you can't drink a beer in public. Last I smelt... beer does give off a repulsive odor that others have to breath in.
Same applies to cigarettes for that matter.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
I find it repulsive and have a big issue with any use that causes someone to have to smell it.
I find it ironic that there's argument to letting it be smoked in public yet you can't drink a beer in public. Last I smelt... beer does give off a repulsive odor that others have to breath in.
My wife shares your opinion as well. She has never even tried it before.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
The stench it gives off makes me want to puke. I could care less if anyone uses it but with the lunatic progressive city council we have here in Calgary wanting to make pot smoking parks is just insanity.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:18 PM

So I got to wonderin...if the liberals lose the next federal election to whoever will they repeal the legalization if they are fundamentally against it? I think they may be too busy pushing the cash wheelbarrow.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Banned

Everything you need to know about CBD oil

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317221.php
Old 09-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Interesting times ahead for sure, and a little scary.

I'm concerned with impaired drivers and the Police's ability to detect level of impairment. EPS is purchasing those Dräger machines even though they are relatively unproven and are known to have problems in the cold. Problem is they are only a positive or negative test, not an actual impairment test like they are trying to sell it as. If I had a puff two weeks ago I'm going to test positive with that test, so now what? Do I get an impaired charge even though I'm not? Will it be up to the officers discretion? That would be truly frightening if that's the case.

Lots of unknowns in the workplace as well, can a company say they won't hire smokers? Would that not be a violation of your chartered rights? Obviously I'm all for people at work being stone cold sober no matter what tickles your fancy when your not working but a simple positive/negative test isn't going to mean much.

We have known this is coming for how many years now? And yet nobody seems prepared. I have a friend in a union that does THC impairment tests (Sylvia) can that test not be used by law enforcement? Seems superior to a simple yes/no test, especially if it's impairment they are looking for.

And then you will have the entitled smoker that will fire up anywhere "cause it's his right" and "because it's legal" even if not legal to smoke in public, even though it's in poor taste, discretion has allways been the name of the game.

Interesting and scary times ahead for sure

Even in the article they call it an impairment test, which it CLEARLY is not
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...is-not-perfect
Old 09-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FQ2 View Post
Everything you need to know about CBD oil

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317221.php
That stuff is a godsend.

I know someone with crones and she used to take between 4 & 8 Percocet's a day, now she's on the CBD Oil and mostly pain free, and Perc free.

I've used it occasionally for pain, and that stuff is better than anything a pharmacist has ever given me.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Interesting times ahead for sure, and a little scary.

I'm concerned with impaired drivers and the Police's ability to detect level of impairment. EPS is purchasing those Dräger machines even though they are relatively unproven and are known to have problems in the cold. Problem is they are only a positive or negative test, not an actual impairment test like they are trying to sell it as. If I had a puff two weeks ago I'm going to test positive with that test, so now what? Do I get an impaired charge even though I'm not? Will it be up to the officers discretion? That would be truly frightening if that's the case.

Lots of unknowns in the workplace as well, can a company say they won't hire smokers? Would that not be a violation of your chartered rights? Obviously I'm all for people at work being stone cold sober no matter what tickles your fancy when your not working but a simple positive/negative test isn't going to mean much.

We have known this is coming for how many years now? And yet nobody seems prepared. I have a friend in a union that does THC impairment tests (Sylvia) can that test not be used by law enforcement? Seems superior to a simple yes/no test, especially if it's impairment they are looking for.

And then you will have the entitled smoker that will fire up anywhere "cause it's his right" and "because it's legal" even if not legal to smoke in public, even though it's in poor taste, discretion has allways been the name of the game.

Interesting and scary times ahead for sure

Even in the article they call it an impairment test, which it CLEARLY is not
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...is-not-perfect
Initial screening would be like the alert testers they use for alcohol. Seems it would be grounds to administer a blood test to test for recent consumption or grounds to demand a roadside test. Seems like quite few companies will be using blood test for post incident or in the event of a pre-employment failure of a urinalysis. I don't foresee an influx of new smokers personally with it being legalized. It's been readily available for many years and those who smoke will continue to do so as will those who drink. The roads being more "unsafe" will likely not happen IMO any more than usual.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:14 PM

One thing you can be sure of is their will be several long and drawn out Charter challenges to the new impaired laws. As well as on the employment law side of things, to be sure someone is already lined up to be poster boy or girl for the first case.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:24 PM

The police officer I work with at my school feels they are well prepared for roadside detection. Didn't give specifics, but felt they would be ahead of the curve.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:42 PM

I wonder why driving stoned was never brought up in the past?
I can remember back as far as around 1975 groups of tokers at bush parties smoking and driving all the time nobody really paid attention to them.
Now that its going to be legal its a concern, if somebody would have started a roadside test 40 years ago it would be perfected by now.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:47 PM

I dont think the government went far enough. Should have legalized all drugs. #1 cause of violent crime is the illegal drug trade. Also gives dealers a reason to get people hooked as they know they'll be that persons sole provider. It's a nice step in the right direction, but one of the best ways to reduce the current rural crime epidemic would be to legalize drugs and allow safe consumption sites in the cities.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-12-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I wonder why driving stoned was never brought up in the past?
I can remember back as far as around 1975 groups of tokers at bush parties smoking and driving all the time nobody really paid attention to them.
Now that its going to be legal its a concern, if somebody would have started a roadside test 40 years ago it would be perfected by now.

Its always been an issue. There's a reason it's called impaired driving, not drunk driving.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Its always been an issue. There's a reason it's called impaired driving, not drunk driving.
I'll rephrase has anyone ever heard of anybody convicted for driving under the influence of cannabis ? I never have although I haven't known too many smokers since the 80's.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Regarding cannibis and the workplace

I don't use. Tried when a teen (about 100 years ago) and didn't like it.

However, I've been asking consultants (etc) all summer what is going to happen: no change from the present.
Pop positive & you are down the road (or not hired).
Old 09-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
I don't use. Tried when a teen (about 100 years ago) and didn't like it.

However, I've been asking consultants (etc) all summer what is going to happen: no change from the present.
Pop positive & you are down the road (or not hired).
This is exactly what I wanted to here. It will speed the transition up faster lol
Old 09-12-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
One thing you can be sure of is their will be several long and drawn out Charter challenges to the new impaired laws. As well as on the employment law side of things, to be sure someone is already lined up to be poster boy or girl for the first case.
With Corona, and other large companies investing in the industry you better believe both sides will be well funded. Interesting times we live in.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 PM

I have been using CBD and THC for well over a year. I have Fibromyalgia as well as torn tendons in both rotators and a hip that should be fixed. I am not 100% sure as the CBD is working anymore because for the last few month I have very little day pain. I guess I could quit the CBD and see if the pain comes back. NOT!

Most of my pain comes at night when I try to sleep and even though I am not pain free the THC does take the edge off. The clinic that helped me get my prescription told me that the THC will make me high and I should not drive or operate equipment. No big deal as I am retired and not required to drive early.

When I get up in the morning I do not feel high in any way. I usually get up after about 3 hours to have a pee. At that time I feel slightly high and have to take care when going down stairs. I also have to take extra care when aiming at the toilet.

The surgeon who was ready to repair my hip has allowed me to cancel two dates because I told him I was feeling pretty good. He says that quality of life is most important and if I am able to have good quality surgery can be put off.

The only negative I see with this stuff is that it costs quite a bit. I have no plans to smoke or vape but if the recreational stuff has something that is cheaper to help me get through the night I am interested.

Medical or recreational it is a choice. I would advise that one does his/her own research and not make a decision based only on politics or opinion of others.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
The stench it gives off makes me want to puke. I could care less if anyone uses it but with the lunatic progressive city council we have here in Calgary wanting to make pot smoking parks is just insanity.
In Vancouver, you can't go a few hundred feet without passing through a stinky cloud.

The MJ laws are tending towards a hybrid of of Alchohol and Tobacco policies.

In the case of public consumption, I'd prefer to see it treated like alcohol.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I'll rephrase has anyone ever heard of anybody convicted for driving under the influence of cannabis ? I never have although I haven't known too many smokers since the 80's.
Was weed even tested for prior to the last few years?
Old 09-12-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Well... I have no problem personally with a couple guys enjoying some beers in the park. I do feel there should be bylaws limiting public intoxication though as that can result in violent and disrespectful behavior.

We all have different tolerances for different behaviors. I hate cigarette smoking and have never been a smoker, but I want smokers to have the freedom to suck on a cig. This is how I feel about pot as well.

My neighbors smoke pot all the time, I smell it every now and then and could care less. They also never complain when I am making noise in my garage in the evenings or my dogs bark at squirrels.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:58 AM

Kids under 18 won't be able to go into a pot store with an adult or guardian, but can go into a liquor store. WTF.
Just wait, after all bylaws are in place in a couple years. You won't be able to smoke pot or cigs in your own back yard, what about the people that don't smoke in the house ? This country is going to pot.

The courts will be so clogged up in a few months with impaired cases , even a murder trial will have to be put on hold and then time will elapse and the charges will have to be dropped.

Can hardly wait to see the selfies that JT will post of himself smoking a cigar sized joint.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Well... I have no problem personally with a couple guys enjoying some beers in the park. I do feel there should be bylaws limiting public intoxication though as that can result in violent and disrespectful behavior.

We all have different tolerances for different behaviors. I hate cigarette smoking and have never been a smoker, but I want smokers to have the freedom to suck on a cig. This is how I feel about pot as well.

My neighbors smoke pot all the time, I smell it every now and then and could care less. They also never complain when I am making noise in my garage in the evenings or my dogs bark at squirrels.
Matt, you sound like a pretty balanced guy. Glad to have you around here. Keep posting in all areas. Balance is good.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Matt, you sound like a pretty balanced guy. Glad to have you around here. Keep posting in all areas. Balance is good.
Thanks man.

Lots of really knowledgeable, generous and funny folks posting on AO and the passionate ones make for some interesting reading!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:53 AM

Dont care about legalizing it. What I do care about is a accurate way to measure it, similar to a breathalyzer. Will they have the grounds for a saliva test if deemed intoxicated, but no alcohol in system.

Marijuana is the same as alcohol if used responsibly it will be fine. It's not some miracle drug that many are claiming.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk