Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 08:43 AM

Default Wmu 326 doe and buck season open....

Just checking out some new areas to explore and I see that some of the upper 300's like 326 have doe and buck open season right now.

But 2016 harvest report shows a 25% success rate... could there be enough white tails that they don't care if you take a doe early season or is this a wild good chase they've set up?
Old 09-25-2018, 08:54 AM

Well they used to allow the supplemental whitetail tag in that area but the population is far less than it used to be, over hunting, predators and winters have really hurt the population. Sure you can probably find a deer if you know what you’re doing and you aren’t being picky but that population is way down.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:44 PM

Oh, I see what you mean. I have driven through the area, it seems really thick with trees too.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:20 PM

lots of road hunters and lots of wolves in 326
Old 09-27-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
Oh, I see what you mean. I have driven through the area, it seems really thick with trees too.
Thick with trees ? Not trying to be a smart ***** but since they clearcut the crap out of it , thick with trees is one thing it isnt . It's a disgrace the way it got blitzed .
Old 09-27-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Thick with trees ? Not trying to be a smart ***** but since they clearcut the crap out of it , thick with trees is one thing it isnt . It's a disgrace the way it got blitzed .
Yeah no kidding about 6-8 years ago I had a nice cut line that I like to watch, did well that fall, that winter we had a harsh winter, both sides of the cut line were clear cut. I don’t think I’ve shot a deer out there since, I have a hard time shooting deer in areas where I feel they should be left alone. Tons of wolves there, haven’t made it out there last year or this year but for several years I heard wolves every single time I was out, they always stayed a little too far away or in the bush, I don’t know what they’re eating there other than horses or moose (although that population isn’t what it used to be either)
Old 09-27-2018, 09:41 AM

I've spent a decent amount of time in 326. Never had much luck for deer out that way the last few years. Lots of predators.