Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 08:27 PM

Default Letter of Intention

Has anyone been sent one of these “letters of intention” when renewing your PAL ? If so, what is their intention by sending these out ?
Old 09-30-2018, 02:43 PM

We re-newed our RPALs this year well before our birthdays, had no issues at all. I didn't know they sent out letters.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:08 PM

If you are renewing your RPAL and you have restricted firearms registered to you, you’ll get the infamous letter.

Some guys seem to get lucky by including a range membership with their renewal paperwork, and mailing in their renewal in. I tried this and still got the infamous letter, apparently my attachment got lost......

If you are renewing electronically, there is zero means to provide attachments so you wait for the infamous letter, then send it in, so give yourself lotsa wiggle room with your renewal.

Some internet hero’s are going off about the over reach by the CFO in these matters, but let’s face it, who’s got that much time and resources to fight it, I sure as hell don’t.(I’m sure that’s the govt rationelle)

Just send in your membership info, and wait.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-30-2018, 04:11 PM

Because I know they will ask...I call the CFC and give them the info over the phone to add to my RPAL info...saves the hassle of not getting the card, and waiting aimlessly to receive a renewed RPAL.

LC
Old 09-30-2018, 04:19 PM

I forgot to add my range membership - got the friggin’ infamous letter both regular post AND registered post, both sent on the same bloddy day!!
Cat
Old 09-30-2018, 06:07 PM

Default Cfo

On my last on line RPAL renewal I emailed a copy of my range membership to the address on the web site cfp-pcaf@rcmp-grc.gc.ca;
I showed the RPAL ConfirmationTransaction number in the subject line and in the email stated. "Attached please find a copy of my 2018 Range Membership to be used for the renewal of my Firearms License."

I received the following email the next day.

Thank you for contacting our office.

We have forwarded your correspondence to the appropriate department for
their follow up.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us by
e-mail or call our office at 1-800-731-4000. Thank you.

Regards,"

I received my renewal in under 4 weeks.

Phil
Old 10-01-2018, 08:15 AM

We did ours about 6 months before expiry, on their suggestion. I forgot to send my range membership so I got a letter about that. I asked the wife this morning and she said for a RPAL you have to answer what your intentions are target shooting, competition, collecting, we printed the forms off the web site and sent in early, no hassles.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 AM

When i re did mine they put a hold on my RPAL because I didn’t have any restricted guns registered in my name. When I called to inquire they pretty much called me a lier. I had to explain to them that I just haven’t found anything I wanted yet.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:32 AM

That's funny silver. In Canada they know you own a handgun before you do, literally.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:26 AM

Default Rpal

Another interesting thing I mentioned to my wife the other day on RPAL. I counted up the number of locks I open before I can fire my first shot from my 357 mag at the range. It is a total of "9 locks", our Handgun Laws are way to loose in Canada, we need way more restrictions!! from the Feds so Toronto and Montreal can feel Safe.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:41 AM

My reason for an RPAL, despite no intentions of owning a restricted firearm, was that I sometimes store firearms with a family member and know how to access their restricted firearms in doing so. So, to legally store mine there, I need an RPAL. I faced no objections.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Another interesting thing I mentioned to my wife the other day on RPAL. I counted up the number of locks I open before I can fire my first shot from my 357 mag at the range. It is a total of "9 locks", our Handgun Laws are way to loose in Canada, we need way more restrictions!! from the Feds so Toronto and Montreal can feel Safe.
Why so many locks? I unlock my safe, take my restricteds out, trigger lock them, case, lock and away I go. 9 is insane, not sure if you're counting door locks and car locks in there but even so...
Old 10-02-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
Why so many locks? I unlock my safe, take my restricteds out, trigger lock them, case, lock and away I go. 9 is insane, not sure if you're counting door locks and car locks in there but even so...
Reminded me of this for some reason.

https://youtu.be/Kv3kcnI72Ec