Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 09:01 AM

Default RPAL what's the point?

A couple of years back I sat a course and passed the joke-test for an RPAL. By the end of the course the instructor convinced me that there was really no point in getting the restricted permit, with the regulations being so strict as to be absurd. Joining a gun club, only using the firearm on a range, never use it off of a range no matter how safe the area..... etc.

I have a wooded quarter section with several very safe shooting sites. Why should I not be able to carry a restricted weapon, once I have an RPAL, on my own property, or someone else's property, following all the usual safe firearm practices, and have to worry that some passing motorist is going to call out the swat team on me? I don't shoot a lot, but I like old guns, and I was thinking of buying one or two antique army handguns, like maybe a Webley or a Luger, but I would want to shoot them on my own place. Is that an unrealistic wish, or maybe did I take the course instructor too literally and he was just spouting the PC (Police Correct) version that he was obliged to?
Old 12-09-2017, 09:07 AM

Old 12-09-2017, 09:20 AM

You can be much happier over on the Ryerson U website.

Just say'n.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-09-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Just say'n.
Means what?
Old 12-09-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Just say'n.
OMG Dick, I snorted my morning tea all over my ToughBook with that comment.
The guy is prolly a transplant from the Beaver site who ran out of bait for the guys there.
Rob
Old 12-09-2017, 09:58 AM

The only reason you can’t do this is because the gubbermint told you that you can’t. There is no public safety benefit
Old 12-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

All resurrected gun owners are criminals that's why!!
Old 12-09-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
The only reason you can’t do this is because the gubbermint told you that you can’t. There is no public safety benefit
Exactly!
Old 12-09-2017, 11:13 AM

if you want a old gun buy a certified antique webley that is nitro proofed in 455 or 45acp

then you can carry it and shoot it where ever you can use a non restricted gun
no questions asked and no laws broken, simple

just have a antique letter with you, and no one can do anything about it

the only issue is the price tag on such a handgun, expect to spend 2000 to 2500 for a good one, lots for sale on the EE on gun nutz
Old 12-09-2017, 11:16 AM

I love a classic four post troll, 'why can't I break the law with my restricted fire arm...'

Ryerson, that's a good one too....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-09-2017, 01:24 PM

Default Seriously

Quote:

Just say'n.
And this is the problem with AO these days. Real friendly.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Banned

Why don't you just apply to turn one of those safe shooting sites into a CFO certified range and then you can quit bitchin'.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
And this is the problem with AO these days. Real friendly.
The OP created a stupid thread and got an appropriate response for doing so. If he wants to shoot a handgun on his own 1/4 of land then take the course get a hand gun, shut your mouth and carry on with whatever you want to do. He knows the law and has his own choices to make. He got the correct response.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:26 PM

Default Lol

You ever read what you write? Seriously, did you read something I didn't in the OP's post? Was he ignorant or trying to be an Internet tough guy?
That's the thing about forums I guess, brings out the best in folks.
Complete douche response to an attempt at a discussion. Next time he can PM you and run his ideas for a thread by you before posting.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:39 PM

Default Hmmm

Thanks for the welcome chaps! Sorry, but no trolling was meant. I see Dick's in Calgary, but then that's where they thrive.

I believe that most gun laws are ill written and pointless wherever they are. An AR15 is restricted in Canada but a T97 isn't. Where is the logic behind that?. You can legally fit a ten round pistol mag to a Chiappa M1 9mm in a country that says a 5 shot capacity is the maximum in a long gun. Where is the logic?. And the US is not much better: it's legal to put a long butt stock on a Rossi Ranch Hand here, but south of the border that would be a SBR and would get you time in a federal pen and no more gun ownership ever.

So, the apparent restrictions on hand gun use WITH a valid RPAL really do not surprise me. Someone wrote that I know the law, but I guess I really don't, and I wonder now how many Canadian gun owners do. If my question spoke the unspeakable just delete this thread, it won't hurt my feelings. But, I did think the IQ here might be just a leetle bit higher......
Old 12-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
You ever read what you write? Seriously, did you read something I didn't in the OP's post? Was he ignorant or trying to be an Internet tough guy?
Complete douche response to an attempt at a discussion. Next time he can PM you and run his ideas for a thread by you before posting.
I tend to side on those who think he's trolling.
What responsible gun owner doesn't wish he could shoot a handgun on his property if it were safe to do so...or hunt with an AR?
What responsible gun owner doesn't know it's illegal?
He's just trying to get an argument going.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
Thanks for the welcome chaps! Sorry, but no trolling was meant. I see Dick's in Calgary, but then that's where they thrive.

I believe that most gun laws are ill written and pointless wherever they are. An AR15 is restricted in Canada but a T97 isn't. Where is the logic behind that?. You can legally fit a ten round pistol mag to a Chiappa M1 9mm in a country that says a 5 shot capacity is the maximum in a long gun. Where is the logic?. And the US is not much better: it's legal to put a long butt stock on a Rossi Ranch Hand here, but south of the border that would be a SBR and would get you time in a federal pen and no more gun ownership ever.

So, the apparent restrictions on hand gun use WITH a valid RPAL really do not surprise me. Someone wrote that I know the law, but I guess I really don't, and I wonder now how many Canadian gun owners do. If my question spoke the unspeakable just delete this thread, it won't hurt my feelings. But, I did think the IQ here might be just a leetle bit higher......
To begin, NO, Dick284 does NOT reside in Calgary. And how should that matter anyways? You are presenting questions that none of us can reply to because they are in the hands of politicians. Truly speaking, and as far as I'm concerned you appear to be trolling and should go away pronto. 4 posts, and this is how you begin?
Old 12-09-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
A couple of years back I sat a course and passed the joke-test for an RPAL. By the end of the course the instructor convinced me that there was really no point in getting the restricted permit, with the regulations being so strict as to be absurd. Joining a gun club, only using the firearm on a range, never use it off of a range no matter how safe the area..... etc.

I have a wooded quarter section with several very safe shooting sites. Why should I not be able to carry a restricted weapon, once I have an RPAL, on my own property, or someone else's property, following all the usual safe firearm practices, and have to worry that some passing motorist is going to call out the swat team on me? I don't shoot a lot, but I like old guns, and I was thinking of buying one or two antique army handguns, like maybe a Webley or a Luger, but I would want to shoot them on my own place. Is that an unrealistic wish, or maybe did I take the course instructor too literally and he was just spouting the PC (Police Correct) version that he was obliged to?
I believe that you are allowed to carry a antique, and that they don't fall under the same rules of restricted, so if that is the case, go ahead and make your purchase!
Old 12-09-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
To begin, NO, Dick284 does NOT reside in Calgary. And how should that matter anyways? You are presenting questions that none of us can reply to because they are in the hands of politicians. Truly speaking, and as far as I'm concerned you appear to be trolling and should go away pronto. 4 posts, and this is how you begin?
Strange, I thought that they were OUR politicians. Politicians respond to pressure, and ignore people who stick their heads in the sand. But I believe you are right, Mr. Git, and that I should git myself. No future here.

PS. Thank you morinj, that does sound like good solution, is news to me as of today, and was the kind of informed repky I was hoping for.

Last edited by Jack Russell; 12-09-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Strange, I thought that they were OUR politicians. Politicians respond to pressure, and ignore people who stick their heads in the sand. But I believe you are right, Mr. Git, and that I should git myself. No future here.

PS. Thank you morinj, that does sound like good solution, is news to me as of today, and was the kind of informed repky I was hoping for.
Gun owners are not the majority in Canada and politicians will do whatever it takes too get re-elected.
This is nothing new, the fight has been going on for many years.
Cat
Old 12-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:

you have the PAL,and now are considering an upgrade?

What will it cost to upgrade to the restricted license?
Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
you have the PAL,and now are considering an upgrade?

What will it cost to upgrade to the restricted license?
Well, I already paid for the course but never sent in the paperwork. You fellows don't seem to believe me, but before taking the course I had thought that getting the RPAL would allow me to shoot a handgun in a safe location on my own place. When I found out that that it would not, then I thought to myself, what really is the point of an RPAL? Hence this thread, which seems to have brought the wild bores a roarin' out of their slumber. Not my intention, but it's too late now!
Old 12-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default get your rpal

For what it's worth i took a PAL course with two new people to the firearms world,i said the same thing too them as your instructor said and the instructor did indicate the extra steps that will have to be observed .. Post number #20 sums up how it is,most don't like it but we are a minority without benefits.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Well if gun owners wrote the laws they might make more sense. Unfortunately they are written by politicians who know nothing about guns in response to the overwhelming numbers of the public and the squeaky wheel anti gun lobby who also know nothing about guns but want all those evil weapons that they think are killing all the people banned and taken away.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
For what it's worth i took a PAL course with two new people to the firearms world,i said the same thing too them as your instructor said and the instructor did indicate the extra steps that will have to be observed .. Post number #20 sums up how it is,most don't like it but we are a minority without benefits.
Thanks purgatory. I think I got the answers I wanted now, from a couple of replies here and an informative PM.

I am still not quite sure how I set off the shipstorm, but then I have never been accused of being too sharp, so I think I shall just try to move on. Still don't get the Ryerson thing........
Old 12-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

Just say'n.
Welcome wagon is on duty.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I tend to side on those who think he's trolling.
What responsible gun owner doesn't wish he could shoot a handgun on his property if it were safe to do so...or hunt with an AR?
What responsible gun owner doesn't know it's illegal?
He's just trying to get an argument going.
It worked. Full curl has his panties bunched
Old 12-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your absolutely right, yours was that type of response. Maybe he should Pm someone as a lot of the responses he got were similar to mine, which would not have even happened if you hadn’t mouthed off about Dick284 proving your part of the problem. Please be reminded about proper etiquette and name calling in the forums, maybe ride a shorter horse, your riding kinda high on the one you got😭😢🤧
Old 12-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks purgatory. I think I got the answers I wanted now, from a couple of replies here and an informative PM.

I am still not quite sure how I set off the shipstorm, but then I have never been accused of being too sharp, so I think I shall just try to move on. Still don't get the Ryerson thing........
I didn’t get the ryerson thing either btw.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I didn’t get the ryerson thing either btw.
If you are familiar with the biggest supporters of gun control in Canada, you would know that Wendy Cukier teaches there.