Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2016, 09:23 PM

Default Budget (ish) pistol.

Hey all, am looking for a relatively inexpensive pistol for when my restricted license finally comes in. Was thinking .22 but now am leaning towards a 9mm. Not sure why other than it seems like a more "real" pistol. haha
Anyway, just looking for thoughts and opinions and even ideas.
Not stuck on 9mm, would still consider .22 but nothing bigger than a 9mm for sure.
2 guns that caught my eye are the Bersa Thunder 9 Pro and IWI Jericho 941.
Thanks!

Schian
Old 01-09-2016, 09:26 PM

Take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm
Great pistol
Affordable

Old 01-09-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder/FX View Post
Great pistol
Affordable
x2, you can get the range pack for a good used price. Go with the 9mm then down the road if you want to try IPSC or something you are set for production division.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:46 PM

I second the S&W M&P but also look at the Norinco pistols in .22 and 9mm
Old 01-09-2016, 09:47 PM

You should consider a GSG 1911-22. They seem well built and look just like a big bore 1911. They can be had for under $500
Old 01-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfinck View Post
You should consider a GSG 1911-22. They seem well built and look just like a big bore 1911. They can be had for under $500
Was definitely looking at these. Any experience with these? Fit and finish, accuracy and everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
I second the S&W M&P but also look at the Norinco pistols in .22 and 9mm
I was looking at these as well but I did some research on these and while I'm not too concerned with the look/finish exactly as it will be my first handgun I did read a few reviews where some guys had issues with accuracy and would have to move the sites as far as they go to one side just to get it on paper.
But still considering these.

As for the M&P 9, I'll definitely look at it but I was hoping to stay around the $500-$600 mark at most.

Keep all the info coming guys.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Was definitely looking at these. Any experience with these? Fit and finish, accuracy and everything?

I was looking at these as well but I did some research on these and while I'm not too concerned with the look/finish exactly as it will be my first handgun I did read a few reviews where some guys had issues with accuracy and would have to move the sites as far as they go to one side just to get it on paper.
But still considering these.

As for the M&P 9, I'll definitely look at it but I was hoping to stay around the $500-$600 mark at most.

Keep all the info coming guys.
You should be able to find an M&P for $600. 22s are fun but since handguns are only allowed at certified ranges you might as well get something you can eventually shoot matches and competition with. (9mm minimum) It gets boring pretty quick shooting a 22 at the range by yourself.

Whats that? Not interested in competition... that's what I said about 7 handguns ago lol

Here is one for example http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...detech-holster

Last edited by Skytop B; 01-09-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
You should be able to find an M&P for $600. 22s are fun but since handguns are only allowed at certified ranges you might as well get something you can eventually shoot matches and competition with. (9mm minimum) It gets boring pretty quick shooting a 22 at the range by yourself.

Whats that? Not interested in competition... that's what I said about 7 handguns ago lol
Haha, oh I am definitely interested in competition.
Just don't think I could afford it or have time for it. Trying to get into archery comps a little bit too, not to mention just having my first child 4 weeks ago. But who knows, maybe one day!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:47 AM

I always have a .22 in my collection. A good cheap option is a TT33, surplus 7.62x25 is cheap to shoot though sometimes the supply gets sketchy so I buy by the crate.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:45 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

I am very much enjoying my Browning Buckmark I recently purchased. It sends a lot more pills down range than my Kimber or Sig. For a fraction of the price.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:17 AM

Default inexpensive handguns

Before I even finished reading you post I was thinking iwi jericho or bersa thunder if you want 9mm nori co if you want a 22. I have a jericho 941 and love it. I also have two norinco woodsmens that the kids love to shoot without breaking the bank. That being said, I saw the bersa thunder on cgn and for the price it's a nice looking gun that I spend some time thinking I should buy one.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:00 AM

Default Pistol

Pretty hard to beat a tt-33 for price and ammo cost if you just want to practice your skills and enjoy shooting. I have Glocks and revolvers, but still love my tokarev.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:19 AM

Get a tokarev tt-33. Doesn't get much more budget than that! Cheap ammo (as long as your range allows it) and they are awesome fun to shoot!
Old 01-10-2016, 11:21 AM

There's a beretta 92 for sale on cgns for 500. Can't go wrong with that. Looks cool , shoots good ( we'll my first pistol did anyway same gun ), and has the side benefit of being a good companion while watching lethal weapon and die hard
Old 01-10-2016, 11:34 AM

Can't be more budget then TT.
Right now tradeex has 5000 rounds plus a gun for $999.
Second best thing is the Norinco knock-offs. for $300-500 you can get a chinese made copy of 1911, or CZ, or whatever else.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Banned

I've had my GSG 1911 for three years now.
About 15000 rounds through it...no hassles. Like all rimfires it can be ammo picky but once you find what it like it will go round after round without a misfire if you clean it on a regular basis.
One thing I would advise (eventually) is a ZR Industries kit https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/...imate-package/ The barrel on the GSG/SIG .22 is well made, but their is a bit of slop when the slide returns to battery because the supplied alignment cone is a smidge to small. So the slide doesn't sit exactly the same way it returns to battery, making for sighting inaccuracies.
The custom alignment cone solves this.
Groups at 15m went from 2.5 to 3" to half that with the new cone.
For the buck it's a lot of fun as .22 is way cheaper to plink with the 9mm.
And of course in Canada we are not allowed to defend ourselves so the 9mm is pointless in that regards....take that comment as you will
Old 01-10-2016, 12:15 PM

You can pick up a ruger SR9 for $579 or less, love mine, just gotta fit your hand right. Never had a malfunction

Don't discount norinco pistols, I have a 1911 (.45ACP, which you don't really want) but it runs amazing as well, no problems. You can find them in 9mm too, which I may buy some day.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:19 PM

ive had a norinco np22 in 9mm, sig 226 clone. can get them for around $300-350 shipped used. great pistols and nice and cheap price wise. depending on your budget, I'd recommend that for sure. if you can swing 500-600, M&P range kit or if you're lucky enough to find a glock 17 then thats a good way to go too.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:03 PM

Don't cheap out too much, look for a good mid range platform for your budget. I had an M&P 9, good for the money but I really prefer my Sigs (obviously a different price bracket). I also think you are on the right track with the Jericho, lots of value for the money and I'd pick it over the M&P actually. Or, save up your sheckels and buy yourself a Sig P226 and don't look back. Was my first auto, and a dozen Sigs later I'm still convinced I picked right. And don't think you'll have just one, it doesn't seem to work that way...I started with Sigs, got 1 revolver just to have one....and now I just call it inventory.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-10-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:54 PM

I have a Ruger SR9 and S&W M&P both in 9mm. Love shooting both of them and they were very affordable.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:58 PM

I have many pistols including the gsg, m&p 9mm, and sig. If you only plan on owning one, 9mm is the right choice, due to its ballistics and wide variety of ammo. 9mm rounds are supposedly accurate to 50 feet, where as anything, above is only accurate to 25. I really enjoy my m&p 9, however my go to pistol would be my sig p226 in .40 cal. From my experience, If you can find a p226 in 9mm second hand, hop on it before I do. You can usually determine how often a pistol has been fired by how hard/easy it is to pull back the slide. My m&p9 is great, however I already had a issue with my recoil spring (that I was able to fix myself), and my gsg .22 actually blew up in a young fellas hand that I didn't even know, (without injury), while I was passing it around, to let people test. I also purchased the .22 conversion kit for my p226, at a cost of $250 and despite what people say about .22 conversion kits, it operates terrific. You would not regret a m&p 9 more a sig, however the sig is a life time pistol!! Happy shooting!!!
Old 01-10-2016, 03:05 PM

One of the CZ models... they are one of the most popular pistols in IPSC for a good solid reason.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by therookie View Post

I've had a norinco np22 in 9mm, sig 226 clone. can get them for around $300-350 shipped used.

great pistols and nice and cheap price wise. depending on your budget, I'd recommend that for sure...
x2

Norinco "clone" pistols are exceptional value for the money...
Old 01-10-2016, 03:36 PM

Find a norinco copy of the colt woodsman. (I think its called an M93?)
Probably the least expensive pistol you can buy, and being a .22, inexpensive to shoot as well.
And, as was mentioned several times already, the tokarev tt-33. I think milarm usually has a few in stock.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Don't cheap out too much, look for a good mid range platform for your budget. I had an M&P 9, good for the money but I really prefer my Sigs (obviously a different price bracket). I also think you are on the right track with the Jericho, lots of value for the money and I'd pick it over the M&P actually. Or, save up your sheckels and buy yourself a Sig P226 and don't look back. Was my first auto, and a dozen Sigs later I'm still convinced I picked right. And don't think you'll have just one, it doesn't seem to work that way...I started with Sigs, got 1 revolver just to have one....and now I just call it inventory.

Very jealous.
A friend of mine (former military) got the sig p226 refurbished from P&D and he loves it.
If i could find a deal on one I think that would be my choice.....guess i better start saving the pennies...or nickels I guess.

Thanks for the input guys.

Has anyone tried the Jericho or Bersa Thunder 9???
Schian
Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post

Very jealous.
A friend of mine (former military) got the sig p226 refurbished from P&D and he loves it.
If i could find a deal on one I think that would be my choice.....guess i better start saving the pennies...or nickels I guess.

Thanks for the input guys.

Has anyone tried the Jericho or Bersa Thunder 9???
Schian
I've put a couple hundred rounds through the Jericho, no experience with the Bersa. The Jericho is good value for the dollar and very reliable in my experience. Still prefer the P226, but if you can't get one of those, Jericho would probably be my choice....or a Beretta 92 if you can find a nice used one. A bit heavy, but a good gun.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-10-2016, 08:46 PM

I had a Ruger P89 in 9 mm that worked well. It was relatively large (works best in larger hands), was built like a tank and accurate. Don't remember why I sold it.......
Old 01-10-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder/FX View Post
Great pistol
Affordable
Great ergonomics as well.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I've put a couple hundred rounds through the Jericho, no experience with the Bersa. The Jericho is good value for the dollar and very reliable in my experience. Still prefer the P226, but if you can't get one of those, Jericho would probably be my choice....or a Beretta 92 if you can find a nice used one. A bit heavy, but a good gun.
Which model Jericho was it?

Schian
Old 01-11-2016, 06:14 AM
Banned

I have an M&P9 I will sell for $600. PM me if you are interested..