Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-03-2016, 10:39 PM

Default Least expensive restricted range membership?

Where in the Calgary region has the least expensive membership (or 'associate membership) that will satisfy the powers that be? I'm looking for bare minimum as I've not been out shooting restricteds for some time, just looking to appease the paperwork bogeyman.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:28 PM

I believe Calgary Shooting Center is under a $100.00 a year. Last year I looked into not renewing my full membership and it was $75 or so.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:41 PM

I'm aware of them, though I'm curious of some of the clubs in smaller towns near Calgary where their rent is much lower. It could be a good thread to keep going for people throughout the province.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:05 AM
Banned

There's only 2 places in Calgary that sell associate memberships.

CSC & TSE

When I first bought mine, it was $50. That was just before CSC even existed.

Last time I inquired about renewing it @ TSE (~2yrs ago), it had gone up to $60 which was the same price as CSC.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:46 AM

Crowsnest Mountain Gun club is 40.00 or 45.00 for a full membership.
Sparwood(B.C) is 40.00 for a full membership.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:02 AM
Banned

Check out Brooks. It's a little bit of a drive but not horrible. I'm not sure if they do restricted there.
If that's not an option, Medicine Hat Rifle and Revolver club is great. It's $100 a year, family is included, enclosed pistol bays, 25, 50, and 100 yard rifle and then a separate 200-300 yard range. It makes a good little day trip should you want to go shooting.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Banned

If the lowest price is your driver, than why bother getting a range membership at all?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=172764
Old 06-04-2016, 08:29 AM

We do associate memberships for $15 per year in Elkford. Fernie and Sparwood are the same. We are all restricted compliant clubs.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:55 AM

It's a little far from Calgary but bashaw pistol club is $30 for the year. You can get you member card from Bashaw sports
Old 06-04-2016, 10:00 AM

A membership in a BC club range has the added benefit of enabling a dual province LTATT.

Many BC ranges are also very relaxed and scenic.
They are often mixed discipline clubs that offer restricted, rifle, shotgun, clays and archery at one range, and often have campgrounds, and nearby lakes, fishing, hiking and biking.
Many are BCWF affiliated, and include ATV insurance (for hunting & fishing).
They are just far enough to discourage city riff raff.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:57 PM

Join AHEIA. 30 bucks a year and meets the requirements.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Join AHEIA. 30 bucks a year and meets the requirements.
How do you go about this? I must have missed it on the website. This will work out easier for me soon.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Banned

My restricted membership is at the Claresholm gun club. I shoot there in the winter. Membership is 45 or you can pay 5 when you show up.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:08 PM

I'll be calling the Provincial CFO to see what the hold up on my renewal is, when I called the CFC they said it had been approved on their end and forwarded to the Ab CFO, I'm just speculating that this might be what's delaying things. Thanks for the variety of suggestions and PM's gentlemen.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:08 AM

Calgary shooting center is $100 and you dont get a discount on range time. But their $600 package will pay for itself if you go once a month
Old 12-11-2017, 12:40 AM

The winner was AHEIA, as $30 a year to meet the CFO's arbitrary range requirement was and is the name of the game. That's nearly 1/3 of the cost of the in-town 'associate memberships' that get you jack squat aside from the paperwork check mark. The AHEIA membership actually has benefits to both yourself and the hunting community.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The winner was AHEIA, as $30 a year to meet the CFO's arbitrary range requirement was and is the name of the game. That's nearly 1/3 of the cost of the in-town 'associate memberships' that get you jack squat aside from the paperwork check mark. The AHEIA membership actually has benefits to both yourself and the hunting community.
Caber, I was looking at their webpage and I did not see anywhere on it that says you can go and shoot hand guns there...maybe Iam missing something but I just want to clarify if it is indeed going to appease the powers that be for owning handguns..help please?
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 AM

AHEIA has a handgun and rifle range at "camp Caroline" it's in use a lot by groups using it so difficult to access. Buying a membership with this good organization is a good idea anyway and it "ticks all the boxes."
Old 12-11-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I'll be calling the Provincial CFO to see what the hold up on my renewal is, when I called the CFC they said it had been approved on their end and forwarded to the Ab CFO, I'm just speculating that this might be what's delaying things. Thanks for the variety of suggestions and PM's gentlemen.
I called the CFC last week about my first time RPAL and they said applications have been backlogged 5-6 weeks before they will even start to process them because they are so overwhelmed with the volume from hunting season.

While not relevant to a renewal, she also said when I asked, that she thought the 28 day waiting period begins with processing. She was very helpful, but not what I wanted to hear.

Thanks for starting this thread, I will be looking for an inexpensive range in the new year.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
AHEIA has a handgun and rifle range at "camp Caroline" it's in use a lot by groups using it so difficult to access. Buying a membership with this good organization is a good idea anyway and it "ticks all the boxes."
Thanks for the info, I will be letting my son know, he is in Cochrane and he can't seem to find a place that does not either break his bank account or is even taking new members..it seems to be getting tougher to hand down firearms as those of us get to old for them anymore...I don't want to sell, as there is some sentimental value
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-11-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Caber, I was looking at their webpage and I did not see anywhere on it that says you can go and shoot hand guns there...maybe Iam missing something but I just want to clarify if it is indeed going to appease the powers that be for owning handguns..help please?
Zip
The thread was 1.5 years old and got bumped by a newbie member, my AHEIA membership did satisfy the CFO’s membership requirement as I’ve been renewed for 1.45 years or something to that effect . For the price I signed up for a few years.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:23 AM

Rocky Gun Club is still $150.00 a year. There is 600m rifle, 100m rifle bay, Archery range and 3D trail, several pistol and multi-gun bays. Our shotgun has a trap setup with electric Promatic thrower. (Members have to take a free safety orientation on the trap machine before using/gaining access to it). and we just approved a $30K shotgun budget for next year to get a proper 5-stand setup built. I know this is not what you are asking but people need to realize that gun clubs need revenue to survive and prosper. We are hosting more and more shooting events to promote the shooting sports in a safe and responsible manner. Get out and get some use out of those handguns!!! We also have a new 3-gun committee planning some safety classes and shooting matches for next year as well.

Last edited by Skytop B; 12-11-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:02 AM

Last I heard was the associate memberships at the Blindman Valley Gun Club (Rimbey) were $50.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

The winner was AHEIA, at $30/year to meet the CFO's arbitrary range requirement was and is the name of the game. That's nearly 1/3 of the cost of the in-town 'associate memberships' that get you jack squat aside from the paperwork check mark. The AHEIA membership actually has benefits to both yourself and the hunting community.
Thanks for the reply, I was unaware that the AHEIA membership included an "associate mebership" for restricted firearms...

If I had of, I wouldn't have bought one from TSE. I was already an AHEIA member, to gain the beneifts at the Calgary Firearms Center.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:15 PM

I didn't know AHEIA offered associate memberships, I'm certainly inclined to go that way as well. They are a great organization to support as well,
Old 10-07-2019, 08:50 AM

Bumping up. Looking to purchase a new membership. Suggestions ?
Old 10-07-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
Bumping up. Looking to purchase a new membership. Suggestions ?
AHEIA $30 per year and you can buy membership online.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:10 AM

Default choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
Last I heard was the associate memberships at the Blindman Valley Gun Club (Rimbey) were $50.
Love this range, have used it many times as a guest...FS
Old 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM

Just wondering after joining does AHEIA send proof of membership in the mail or is it online.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:15 PM

So from what I understand from this post an AHEIA membership for $30 will satisfy the requirements as a range membership for long term transport permit for restricted firearms?