Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 04:04 PM

they come and go....the strongest survive....the market will make sure of that
Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 AM

Their website sucked, service wasn't good, and way too expensive. The selection was also not very good. I think everyone knew it wasn't competing.

I was there a while ago and they sold a lot of stuff. Not many quality items left. But you can buy things in the states and ship it over + duties for the same price as the "sales price" at WWS right now.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:53 AM

Holy Hanna, I leave the country for a month, depriving them of my regular purchases income, and they go under?????

I will miss them. Bought most of my stuff from them. And Bass Pro bought Cabelas, so the latter will be gone soon... so now I get the choice of ONE big store, 60 miles away. Oh goody.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Holy Hanna, I leave the country for a month, depriving them of my regular purchases income, and they go under?????

I will miss them. Bought most of my stuff from them. And Bass Pro bought Cabelas, so the latter will be gone soon... so now I get the choice of ONE big store, 60 miles away. Oh goody.

I think Bass Pro is keeping the Cabelas stores and name. Giving customers the illusion that they have options.

Just like Sobeys and Safeway(and so many other large companies).
Old 10-05-2017, 11:50 AM

Was in there yesterday....talked with some of the guys....they say don't buy anything....not really a sale yet. They also say the agro other side of the business is losing all the money....WSS was making money.....they just wanna liquidate all stock to keep the other side of the business open....wierd. lots of stock from other stores will be heading to Calgary as it's WSS main store. Told me other goodies....but they all say they have....or have been offered other jobs....

Still tons of stock all over WSS.....still all the good stuff only 10% off......im waiting.....

Sounds like the fishing hole will be my new go to after they close the doors!!! Everyone always says good things about them....so goodie

Happy
Old 10-05-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
They also say the agro other side of the business is losing all the money....WSS was making money.....they just wanna liquidate all stock to keep the other side of the business open....wierd. lots of stock from other stores will be heading to Calgary as it's WSS main store.
Doesn't make sense. They wouldn't sell a winner to save a loser. Likely WSS made money but an insignificant amount compared to the whole company.

Restructuring and focusing would be a logical business model to follow.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-05-2017, 07:53 PM

Yea.....unless the "losing" side of the business is much larger....and the UFA is.......dont make much sense either way....i think bass pro and cabelas made the desicion for them....when WSS opened....i don't even think either one was around.....
Old 10-06-2017, 12:43 AM

Making money isnt enough. They need to make a certain percent of the investment they put in. If you only make 1 dollar for every 100 dollars of investment, you will close down still.

Also, UP TO 40% off now.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:29 AM

The UFA financials are available on their website, no reason to post hearsay.

WSS wasn't losing them money but they weren't really making money either. Too much competition(especially since Cabelas moved into a bunch of the cities WSS are in, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon to name the ones I know of) and a poor economy, not as many people spending lots of money on this stuff like they used to.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:27 PM

I was there today. Pricing is staring to get more like a sale. Still not there yet. But how long are you willing to wait?
Old 10-07-2017, 08:30 PM

November
Old 12-10-2017, 11:41 PM

I was in there 2 weekends ago and bought a bunch of fishing lures that I thought were on for a decent price. Then bought 2 scope lens caps. The next day we went to another store and the regular price was exactly 30% cheaper. But I did notice the price of the ruger 10/22 I bought from them a couple months ago was about $50 cheaper