Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 07:35 AM

Default Elk rut timeline

Hello.

I wanted to see what you guys have experienced as far as hunting elk during the rut. My understanding is that September 18th is roughly the peak of the rut, and September 12 is the start. But in my experience I've killed all my archery elk (only 2) on the morning of September 12... And they seem to be in the full swing of things, they are bugling and responding to my calls ect. So I wanted to check with some experienced elk hunters as what you have experienced and when you have had the best "luck".

Thanks

Ryan
Old 03-27-2017, 07:38 AM

Depends on the area IMHO, sometimes when the elk I hunt are screaming other areas they are silent.

I have dates I like to be out though, that I feel have the highest chance of success. The past four years I have been fortunate to arrow an elk. It took me several years to figure them out however.

LC
Old 03-27-2017, 08:36 AM

I agree with Lefty. I believe it all depends on the area. The weather will also play a role in the rut activity I have found.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Banned

In Rocky area I noticed they don't talk as much as Edson area only bull I've called in here came in silent I've always found aug.25-September 20 best time
Old 03-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Banned

I have bugled them in and shot them 7am on August 15th opening day, and bugled them in and shot them 5 pm October 31st closing day ,

looking back at cancelled tags over 30 seasons, most consistent kill dates are Sept 21 and 22nd , they account for 13 kills those two days,

Many variables tho , weather plays a huge role, wind and rain can shut down rut activity for weeks, predators ( specially goombahs ) charging around the bush on ATVs and on foot blowing their little boy elk hunter bugles indiscriminately can shut down rutting bulls, elk get educated real quick on excessive hootchie moma type calls and other over abused elk noise makers,

Disturbance can modify rut dates, seismic activity, helicopters and motorized vehicle and industrial activity can modify or change local elk rut behaviour,

Elk can be silent for many days, then one cool frosty morning there is several of them echoing thru the valley,,

When they are hot, they are suicidal, I have bugled in and killed a big bull, one of several within a few hundred meters being vocal, immediately after shooting the first good one with a rifle ,
So I commenced bugling and got replies and challenges for the next 40 minutes,,just playing with them I could have killed set least 2 more bulls within 50 yards

An anxious Bull elk will even bugle a challenge to squeaky brakes on a pic up truck when they are hot to rut,

Had one do it about 18 years ago, bugled in reply to my squeeling brake pads, was only stopping from a slow crawl into my elk zone , where I parked and commenced my elk hike each morning, so I stepped out of the truck gave a long challenging bugle and had an immediate response , called back again, back and forth for about 15 minutes, when I shot the 6x6 bull in the chest point blank with my .338 Win, he died 9 paces from my rifle muzzle, about 200 yards from my truck,,,

It's all about the timing ! too bad the hunter doesn't control it,
Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 PM

In Alberta most cows are bread between Sept 20-25, the bulls can be vocal and actively looking anywhere from last half of August to end of October.. I have heard bulls bugle every month of the year..

Jim...
Old 03-27-2017, 03:26 PM

Last year bulls where I hunt were bugling from Aug 25 through until Nov 10th. In 2009 I killed a bugling bull on Oct 31st right after he bred a cow. I find that where I hunt the rut usually starts getting good Sept 17 with the peak around Sept 22-25 and then tails off from there
Old 03-27-2017, 07:52 PM

Mid September where I hunt is vocal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 09:35 PM

That is an awesome cam pic 6mm!!

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:18 AM

Us old timers have always followed the rule " Elk rut in September, Moose in October and deer in November" Trying to pick rut days is silly. When a bull elk has a dozen girl friends back in the deep timber why advertise to your buddies.
Keep your mouth shut and keep the girls happy.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:33 AM
Banned

I have to agree with big grey wolf I don't even look at deer during sep and oct pass on lots I hunt elk sept and oct I don't care to hunt moose really
Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 AM

Another good way to predict the rut is to watch facebook and the text line. When the hero pictures of the squeakers your buddies are killing show up you know its time to get out LOL!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
Another good way to predict the rut is to watch facebook and the text line. When the hero pictures of the squeakers your buddies are killing show up you know its time to get out LOL!

No kidding!! How daft can one be.. Oh I know just check out social media..
Old 03-28-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm rem View Post

Pics like this get my blood flowing already for elk season.
Want to try to have a meeting with this guy this season.

Elkster
Old 03-29-2017, 01:42 AM

Not even bear season yet. Dang.
Sept 23rd peak rut everywhere in the world. By that meaning most # of females inseminated.IMG_1991.jpg

Old 03-29-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
I have bugled them in and shot them 7am on August 15th opening day, and bugled them in and shot them 5 pm October 31st closing day ,

looking back at cancelled tags over 30 seasons, most consistent kill dates are Sept 21 and 22nd , they account for 13 kills those two days,

Many variables tho , weather plays a huge role, wind and rain can shut down rut activity for weeks, predators ( specially goombahs ) charging around the bush on ATVs and on foot blowing their little boy elk hunter bugles indiscriminately can shut down rutting bulls, elk get educated real quick on excessive hootchie moma type calls and other over abused elk noise makers,

Disturbance can modify rut dates, seismic activity, helicopters and motorized vehicle and industrial activity can modify or change local elk rut behaviour,

Elk can be silent for many days, then one cool frosty morning there is several of them echoing thru the valley,,

When they are hot, they are suicidal, I have bugled in and killed a big bull, one of several within a few hundred meters being vocal, immediately after shooting the first good one with a rifle ,
So I commenced bugling and got replies and challenges for the next 40 minutes,,just playing with them I could have killed set least 2 more bulls within 50 yards

An anxious Bull elk will even bugle a challenge to squeaky brakes on a pic up truck when they are hot to rut,

Had one do it about 18 years ago, bugled in reply to my squeeling brake pads, was only stopping from a slow crawl into my elk zone , where I parked and commenced my elk hike each morning, so I stepped out of the truck gave a long challenging bugle and had an immediate response , called back again, back and forth for about 15 minutes, when I shot the 6x6 bull in the chest point blank with my .338 Win, he died 9 paces from my rifle muzzle, about 200 yards from my truck,,,

It's all about the timing ! too bad the hunter doesn't control it,
No guff....I once called in a rutting whitetail with (what I thought) was a subdued fart....take that Will Primo!
Old 03-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
No guff....I once called in a rutting whitetail with (what I thought) was a subdued fart....take that Will Primo!
That's why I hunt alone, my buddy used to let loose with subdued farts all the time,, he killed a lot if deer, but ge couldn't find an elk,

but he stunk like a road killed picked egg , mixed with skunk pix ,

I wouldn't allow him in my elk camp, never will, most others wont either
He Buys elk tag every season But never got close to an elk in 30 years buying elk tags,,,
Old 03-30-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
That's why I hunt alone, my buddy used to let loose with subdued farts all the time,, he killed a lot if deer, but ge couldn't find an elk,

but he stunk like a road killed picked egg , mixed with skunk pix ,

I wouldn't allow him in my elk camp, never will, most others wont either
He Buys elk tag every season But never got close to an elk in 30 years buying elk tags,,,
Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 PM

25weeks after easter, 10days either side of the fall solstice... Every bit in between open and close. finding the "hardcore" tv rut is more of a guess then anything and unless your out there for 3-4 weeks you never know for any given area/elk. But I agree with whats been said lots the baffoons with the hoochie mommas shut them up real quick and becomes a quiet rut.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedical View Post
25weeks after easter, 10days either side of the fall solstice... Every bit in between open and close. finding the "hardcore" tv rut is more of a guess then anything and unless your out there for 3-4 weeks you never know for any given area/elk. But I agree with whats been said lots the baffoons with the hoochie mommas shut them up real quick and becomes a quiet rut.
Man your post is hilarious. Made my day. I have seen so many people bugling from running quads and sqwakin on those hoochies. I love it.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Banned

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but if most of you say that the rut is in September, yet most of the zones I am looking at open November... What is one to do? Call them in with a cow or lost calf mew?
Old 12-11-2017, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but if most of you say that the rut is in September, yet most of the zones I am looking at open November... What is one to do? Call them in with a cow or lost calf mew?
There are lots of areas that open general mid part of September. Not all zones open general season November 1

LC
Old 12-11-2017, 05:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm rem View Post

Larry, Larry, LARRY check out the hottie!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 AM

I've had elk bugling from aug25 - miiddle of November.
Weather has nothing to do with it, they are going to rut no matter what.
It was +30 at the beginning of September this year and I had bulls going nuts for my bow hunting clients. The month of sept is the time to be in the bush chasing elk.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
I've had elk bugling from aug25 - miiddle of November.
Weather has nothing to do with it, they are going to rut no matter what.
It was +30 at the beginning of September this year and I had bulls going nuts for my bow hunting clients. The month of sept is the time to be in the bush chasing elk.
I totally agree with this. Elk rut the same time every year. Yes bugling can shut down, doesn't mean they aren't rutting though.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
As I understand it, in november, you are mostly hunting the food and the sanctuary areas. Bulls aren't too interested in cows. Just have to find them and intercept. Hopefully its cold enough they are out eating during the day.

Cows will be on the best food available. Bulls will be on the best food available where nobody will bother them. Get a bit tired of getting chased around for the past 2 months.