Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-12-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
The pot calling the kettle black?
Now you sound like the OP.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:10 PM
Banned

So, all the landowners down in Texas charge people to hunt hogs on their land. How do you know this? From what i’ve Heard, many landowners there pay big bucks for professionals to help them with their hog problems......kind of like exterminators for rats and insects.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
And you ma'am are the reason I am leaving this forum. It is a bunch of pompous bums who would rather belittle people than actually help them. I don't think I have ever received any positive comments or helpful advice. Always hear the same crap.

If you plant a carrot, you get a carrot.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
For some reason I don’t believe you’ve ever fixed a fence in your life unless you messed it up yourself.

Personally I’m in favour of paid access. Since it’s not legal how do you feel about paying a 4 hr minimum @ $200 per hr to get your game out of my field or $800 surcharge for the map on where the upside harrows might of gotten lost?
How bout if I pay you $1400/week camping fees to set up my wall tent or RV on your land,and you say”guests at my exclusive seasonal campground have permission to hunt here.” 😜
Old 12-12-2018, 11:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
So, all the landowners down in Texas charge people to hunt hogs on their land. How do you know this? From what i’ve Heard, many landowners there pay big bucks for professionals to help them with their hog problems......kind of like exterminators for rats and insects.
Not all. On the facebook groups there are a lot of ranchers and their responses were negative. They were saying many people would either abuse their right to hunt hogs and hunt deer and turkeys as well, or shooting their cows. There was a big story about someone shooting a cow near a feeder thinking it was hogzilla. They were saying that "hunters" who hunt hogs do more damage than good, and there is no way to actually eradicate the problem. All in all, they were saying hogs are a very serious issue as and that hunters are not doing much to stop these hogs as the hunters think they are. A lot of them were saying they do not want people to come for free because it costs them to feed the hogs and it is a very big liability if someone was to get hurt or do somethign stupid.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:27 AM

I do kinda agree with Gloszz. In the last 10 years, my dad has only allowed 2 groups on his land. One group took my hunting a lot over a 5 year period, and the other one shoots pigeons to train his dogs in retrieval. Pigeons are a pest here, so that's fine.

That being said, the last hunter outside of those 2 groups we let on created a mess in the dirt that took over a full day to clean up. If machines had to be rented, it would have cost about $4k to fix...

So, there are days where I think that a rental is a good idea...
Old 12-13-2018, 06:01 AM
Banned

Don't understand why you think I'm belittling you. Impressive credentials. You must be I high demand?

I also don't understand why you would let a Texas farmer that charges access bother you?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
How bout if I pay you $1400/week camping fees to set up my wall tent or RV on your land,and you say”guests at my exclusive seasonal campground have permission to hunt here.” 😜
Heck 1400 a week I got a skid shack you can use. 1450 I'll move out of the house.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I do kinda agree with Gloszz. In the last 10 years, my dad has only allowed 2 groups on his land. One group took my hunting a lot over a 5 year period, and the other one shoots pigeons to train his dogs in retrieval. Pigeons are a pest here, so that's fine.

That being said, the last hunter outside of those 2 groups we let on created a mess in the dirt that took over a full day to clean up. If machines had to be rented, it would have cost about $4k to fix...

So, there are days where I think that a rental is a good idea...
Just wondering what on earth did they do???
Old 12-13-2018, 06:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If some good ol'boys said hundred bucks for a wk-end of shooting pigs

I'm in but if the price was crazy I tell 'em no thanks.....meh

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-13-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
If some good ol'boys said hundred bucks for a wk-end of shooting pigs

I'm in but if the price was crazy I tell 'em no thanks.....meh
The place we go charges $100 a night for the use of his cabin(sleeps 8, running water and power) the hogs are no charge, whack as many as you can, anytime day or night.

There isn’t anything wrong with paid access, farmers can pay landowners for access to farm, but no one can be charged to hunt. Hookers charge for access, parking lots charge for access, landlords charge for access, about the only people who can’t charge for the use of millions of dollars worth of property are landowners that allow hunting. It seems ridiculous to me.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-13-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Leases to hunt quail and deer can be upwards of $30k a season depending on what type of population on the land.

Its no secret Texas has become mostly paid hunting, alot of pointing dog championships have been cancelled or moved out of the state because clubs couldnt afford to pay the lease or landowners leased the land.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
The place we go charges $100 a night for the use of his cabin(sleeps 8, running water and power) the hogs are no charge, whack as many as you can, anytime day or night.

There isn’t anything wrong with paid access, farmers can pay landowners for access to farm, but no one can be charged to hunt. Hookers charge for access, parking lots charge for access, landlords charge for access, about the only people who can’t charge for the use of millions of dollars worth of property are landowners that allow hunting. It seems ridiculous to me.
The only possible explanation that I can come up with that makes access for hunting different, is that the hunters are hunting for animals that belong to the public. Some people would stretch that to imply that the landowner would be profiting from selling public property. It is a stretch, but it is an argument that I have heard mentioned.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post

That is a tough call, on one side it would close alot of land, which would increase pressure everywhere else. People who are hard up probably wouldnt participate as much if at all so there would be lost revenue on licenses which in turn means less revenue for habitat, enforcement, etc.

However on the other side it could improve habitat. Famer joe wants to charge $X amount of dollars a year because his neighbor does, however Joe doesnt have the population or trophy animals his neighbor does. So Joe may put out feeders, put in some cover, maybe change some farming practices in favor of grooming his land for growing large deer, or supporting upland birds.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:59 AM

I am all for it....would alleviate a lot of issues we face today and wean out the wannabe”s
Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Wondering the same thing, That would amount to a couple days work with a D6
Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Wondering the same thing, That would amount to a couple days work with a D6
A coworker drove over a swath of hay and the farmer wanted $1,000 for damages. Not always, but it seems these damages are sometimes exaggerated.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I am all for it....would alleviate a lot of issues we face today and wean out the wannabe”s
By wannabe’s do you mean young hunters who barely have enough money to put gas in their truck to get to a place where they can hunt?

This pay to play thing would not work out as nicely as some of you may think, be careful what you wish for.

Land will essentially go to the highest bidder, and who has all the money? That’s right, the OUTFITTERS, lol.

A network of guides out scouting year round will have the animals scoped out before season, a few grand in American funds to the land owner and all of a sudden you’re left with “the next best” land to put some money down on.

If it comes to pay to play access, outfitters will be able to charge $8kus per hunt for a chance to hunt prime Hunting ground with exclusive rights, half of that could potentially go directly to the land owner. If a land owner has the room to set up multiple stands for multiple hunters you could be looking at easily a $10k us or more payout from an outfitter, are you willing to buck up to compete with that?

I’m in the outfitting business and I can see this happening if we were to go to bay to play. $1500 or even $3000 is chump change to come up with for an outfitter if they are allowed to purchase exclusive rights. Not too many “hardcore” resident hunters will want to part with the kind of money it will take to compete with the outfitters.

That’s just my take on the subject.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Not really instead you would be promoting the buy a score crowd
Old 12-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Banned

it might make landowners care more about wildlife if they can make a couple grand off it
Old 12-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
it might make landowners care more about wildlife if they can make a couple grand off it
And less about hunters with shallow pockets.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:19 AM

would not care how much money I was offered my land my rules its for my family and I . lots of land for sale take a step and buy a 1/4 or two really getting sick of the crying about how bad land owners are for not giving permission
Old 12-13-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
By wannabe’s do you mean young hunters who barely have enough money to put gas in their truck to get to a place where they can hunt?

This pay to play thing would not work out as nicely as some of you may think, be careful what you wish for.

Land will essentially go to the highest bidder, and who has all the money? That’s right, the OUTFITTERS, lol.

A network of guides out scouting year round will have the animals scoped out before season, a few grand in American funds to the land owner and all of a sudden you’re left with “the next best” land to put some money down on.

If it comes to pay to play access, outfitters will be able to charge $8kus per hunt for a chance to hunt prime Hunting ground with exclusive rights, half of that could potentially go directly to the land owner. If a land owner has the room to set up multiple stands for multiple hunters you could be looking at easily a $10k us or more payout from an outfitter, are you willing to buck up to compete with that?

I’m in the outfitting business and I can see this happening if we were to go to bay to play. $1500 or even $3000 is chump change to come up with for an outfitter if they are allowed to purchase exclusive rights. Not too many “hardcore” resident hunters will want to part with the kind of money it will take to compete with the outfitters.

That’s just my take on the subject.
In New Mexico, the elk allocations are given to the landowners to use or sell. The outfitter that I hunted with, had all of the tags for over a million acres. He told me that he paid from $1000 to $3000 per allocation,which was added to the cost of a hunt.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
would not care how much money I was offered my land my rules its for my family and I . lots of land for sale take a step and buy a 1/4 or two really getting sick of the crying about how bad land owners are for not giving permission
I completely agree with it being your land your rules. Every landowner has the right to refuse and I don’t look down on them for it at all. No hunter is entitled to access to private land

My personal issue with paid access has nothing to do with landowners but instead the negative impact it has on hunting through greed among hunters and outfitters.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
They were told foot access only on a certain field. They protested that they wouldn't get stuck as they had a big jacked up truck with really big tires. They were told that it was too soft for the truck and it was foot access or nothing. They said they agreed.

Well, go out to the field a few days later to find ruts almost a foot deep cut all over the field. The field had recently been subsoiled and it was wet. As dad generally found that there's a few really crops that grow really short, but produce well, that really messed things up. These crops generally grew around 8" tall. Makes a real mess for combining when you have ruts like that throwing the combine or swather around. All it takes is one little twist in the level to bury a header in the dirt and possibly break something. And before someone says something about auto header height, we didn't have that on that combine, and still don't. It was all manual control.

We spent over a day with tractors with front end loaders to push all the ruts closed and level the dirt off properly. I think it took 5-6 years before you couldn't see where the ruts were left in the field due to the crops being not as good, IE shorter and thinner.

Doesn't take long with tractors that are billed out at $125 an hour to rack up $4k. Remember, we had 2 of them out there...
Old 12-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
And less about hunters with shallow pockets.
hey, i can only support what directly benefits me the most.

i'll pay for access, i would have control over who goes in (farmers and hunters) and all the other little things that have screwed my hunts over the years.

i would expect a lot more if i was paying. i would want to see a wildlife plan including bedding, food, water, shelter, trail access, permanent blind locations. i would also want to see penalties in place for breaking the agreement.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post

Yeah I'm getting sick and tired of all the crying also people need to get over it no is no .
Old 12-13-2018, 01:02 PM

I can say for a fact being from the States that leasing or renting hunting rights is working form the south USA to the north fast. I am kinda against it for a few reasons, 1- The big money with the deep pockets always wins. 2- it limits others the opportunity to hunt it and in my area now neighbors are leasing and cutting me and locals out for that cash.I have 250 acres of my own property so i dont need to lease or try as some do to get access to hunting.
But my close neighbors, farmers are cashing in. 45 acres leases for 1700 .00 American for a year. more land more money.
I never thought it would come our way, But has and willing to bet it will work its way up to you. get prepared.....
Old 12-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
hey, i can only support what directly benefits me the most.

i'll pay for access, i would have control over who goes in (farmers and hunters) and all the other little things that have screwed my hunts over the years.

i would expect a lot more if i was paying. i would want to see a wildlife plan including bedding, food, water, shelter, trail access, permanent blind locations. i would also want to see penalties in place for breaking the agreement.
All things an outfitter would easily pay for, considering its part of his livelihood.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
All things an outfitter would easily pay for, considering its part of his livelihood.
Especially since he would just increase the price of his hunts to cover the extra cost.