Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Those are some incredible bucks!!!
Old 12-11-2018, 06:37 PM

Day 2 tagged out on 4 bucks , no gaggers though seen around 50 deer today and I nice bull moose ,, will try again in a few years for sure ,
Could have held out for a bigger than the 3 pointers we shot but meat was the goal,
Old 12-12-2018, 10:31 AM

We got our cow moose - all thanks to dend (username). He found one bedded down and gave us a call then guided us in to her.
We saw lots of deer, including three large whitetailed bucks herded up together.
It seems to happen way more than it should - people with moose tags see the deer and people with deer tags see the moose. We could have filled 4-6 deer tags with bucks but missed the moose by minutes several times.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:09 PM

Angry

Just returned from rifle season 3 and had a great time. The organization is spot on. Thanks to all those involved in putting on these hunts. I was wondering if anyone heard of an Accidental rifle discharge at the checkin station.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitizer View Post
Just returned from rifle season 3 and had a great time. The organization is spot on. Thanks to all those involved in putting on these hunts. I was wondering if anyone heard of an Accidental rifle discharge at the checkin station.
Did someone do a check station pop?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:09 PM

Default RF #3 totals

The end is near!

RF#3

Deer 55/320
Moose 28/109
Elk 2/10

S
Old 12-12-2018, 07:20 PM

Sounds like a successful hunt for managing numbers. Holy smokes thats a lot of Moose taken.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:36 PM

That IS a lot of moose. There better be one left, maybe a calf or yearling instead of a big old cow. I’ll be there in the AM with the 3 and 5 year old in tow. Hardest part should be fitting it in the Jeep with the car seats. I’m to stubborn/stupid to take the truck.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:42 PM

Hey Shed.... for the deer, is that 55 Bucks and 320 does? It seemed so many people we chasing anything with horn, thought that would have been higher than 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
The end is near!

RF#3

Deer 55/320
Moose 28/109
Elk 2/10

S
Old 12-12-2018, 08:09 PM

Think it’s the last hunt count followed by totals
Old 12-12-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Hey Shed.... for the deer, is that 55 Bucks and 320 does? It seemed so many people we chasing anything with horn, thought that would have been higher than 55
That's 55 this hunt 320 total deer taken
Old 12-12-2018, 08:16 PM

Is it just me, or does 55 not seem like alot?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:24 PM
Banned

Its pretty low
Not worth the time going to wainwright
Should stay home
Old 12-12-2018, 08:25 PM

55 is low considering all other hunts were higher,,!
A lot of people I spoke to were looking for bigge head gear and passing on the smaller bucks until the last day ,, never works out that way I guess ,
Old 12-12-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
That IS a lot of moose. There better be one left, maybe a calf or yearling instead of a big old cow. I’ll be there in the AM with the 3 and 5 year old in tow. Hardest part should be fitting it in the Jeep with the car seats. I’m to stubborn/stupid to take the truck.
That’s a lot of moose , seen a couple groups with the cow and calf in the back ,
Not great country for a pretty Jeep if your going into rough bush for moose,
Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
That’s a lot of moose , seen a couple groups with the cow and calf in the back ,
Not great country for a pretty Jeep if your going into rough bush for moose,
That’s why I want the Jeep instead of the truck. It goes where I point it, I’ve got chains, winch, lockers etc. The trucks got nothing but a set of chains and it’s diesel so it hasn’t sneaked up on anything. Every time I take the truck to wainwright I wreck something. The only thing it’s got going for it is a moose fits in the back very easily.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:08 AM

Total harvest numbers almost always go down as we get into the later season but antlerless harvests normally go up.

The animals have been pressured, the tame ones are in someone's garage now and the hunter turnout is a lot lower.

We had over 120ish deer hunters in PW/RF#1 and this morning there was 68/160 deer hunters for the first day of RF#4 (we also only had 58 deer hunters yesterday).

S
Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Did someone do a check station pop?

It was a fellow from one of the First Nation groups from Saskatchewan. Was unloading his gun after driving around and a round went off right in the parking lot. It took out a tail light on one of the CO’s trucks. MP’s and CO’s came out real quick and hauled him off.

That situation aside, on the last day of our hunt this said group of 30 First Nations fellows showed up as a group (from SK not AB) and let loose. One truck had 4 animals in the back by the end of the day and every other one had at least one. I personally have an issue with out of province First Nations coming and having a free for all. Just my personal opinion. That’s just one of many groups. The biologist said if that keeps up the hunt will be done in 5 years and no more tags issued to AB residents for Wainwright.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Banned

Those guys are ruining it for the rest of us. Nothing new I guess
Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyAlberta View Post
It was a fellow from one of the First Nation groups from Saskatchewan. Was unloading his gun after driving around and a round went off right in the parking lot. It took out a tail light on one of the CO’s trucks. MP’s and CO’s came out real quick and hauled him off.

That situation aside, on the last day of our hunt this said group of 30 First Nations fellows showed up as a group (from SK not AB) and let loose. One truck had 4 animals in the back by the end of the day and every other one had at least one. I personally have an issue with out of province First Nations coming and having a free for all. Just my personal opinion. That’s just one of many groups. The biologist said if that keeps up the hunt will be done in 5 years and no more tags issued to AB residents for Wainwright.
JC
Old 12-13-2018, 10:49 AM
Banned

Do these unlicensed hunters have PAL's? Hunter training certificates?
Because they could be putting the safety of properly licensed hunters at risk.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:

This is a safety issue. Most are lacking PAL’s and hunter education which includes gun safety. Draw tags control numbers, numbers of controlled hunters dictate safety. Uncontrolled number of natives showing up is unsafe.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:05 AM

IMO perhaps our minister needs to hear what's been happening out there. Sounds pretty discouraging for all the guys that burned priority points for this hunt. I'd hate to see this hunt cease to exist for Albertans due to these circumstances. As well the safety issue of uncontrolled hunter #'s is an issue...

Shannon Phillips
aep.minister@gov.ab.ca
(780)427-2391
Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 PM

If it is a public land hunt, trust Shannon to shut down access to licenced trained hunters. Vote the NDP clowns out or we will lose this one too.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
If it is a public land hunt, trust Shannon to shut down access to licenced trained hunters. Vote the NDP clowns out or we will lose this one too.
I am guessing that its the Feds that have a say in who hunts in Camp Wainwright? Same Feds that allowed a hunt in Jasper National Park not long ago.
kidd
Old 12-13-2018, 01:11 PM

Change the dynamic make more of the area walk in and go to a pack out model. Go back to mandatory vehicle checks for insurance and registration to get on the base. Add a daily user fee to cover costs for range patrol as their salty comes from the military.

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 12-13-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

I saw a similar story to this where someone claimed almost an identical story where 30 moose were taken yet the numbers posted by shed crazy make this story literally impossible.

There werent 30 moose shot by all hunters let alone one large group of first nations.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:34 PM

I heard it was 30 moose in one truck
Old 12-13-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
Its pretty low
Not worth the time going to wainwright
Should stay home
It's a tough call. We could have shot 3 or 4 good bucks and another 2 or 3 small antlered bucks. Plus a bunch of does. We didn't have deer tags. They are there but you need luck as well as time / effort.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:50 PM
Banned

If there is no control over the potential number of hunters, and no requirements to have the needed qualifications, eventually someone's going to get killed.
Alberta's special season hunts seems to concentrate the untrained and unethical.

That bullet could have easily ended up in someone's head rather than the range patrol truck.
And then what? What was this unlicensed person doing there?