Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 AM

Default 3D Ideas!...

Since we are hosting a shoot on Jun 28/29 in Parkland North of Spruce grove (Poster to follow)

I posted a thread earlier asking what you wannted to see for 3D....

I have a few questions of myfellow hunters. While I am an avid 3D'er and shoot a tricked up rig etc i am still a bowhunter at heart. I love the competition of 3D put also want to see it grow and in order to do that we need to encourage bowhunters to attend shoots. loking for ways to do this!..

I have a few questions to ask!.... and am looking for honets feedback!...

As a bowhunter coming to a 3D shoot with your hunting rig....

Do you feel welcome?
Are you uncomfortable when you see the "big shots" with the $3000 dollar rig and having to compete against them,
Is competition something you look for or do you like to just compete with your buddies.

What I was thinking is having a shoot where we have the "Rec" class and the "Comp" class. The comp class would have a slightly higher entry fee so that we can make a cash pot. Would this be a good idea and help make people more comfortable to attend. The rec and comp classes would be open to anybody and the Rec class would still have medals etc based on score.

I would also have the Rec class the option from shooting from either the Rec class or comp class stake so that they can pick their level of challenge. The rec class stake may be a shot where you got a few branches to play with that would be unsuitable for "sanctioned" events.

One thing I do when placing targets is think of realistic hunting type shots where score zones are representative of real life angles and distances. Losing arrows is not dun for anyone!... or making a heart shot that is a five because target was placed improperly!...

Also rec class would be allowed to use range finders but no binos!....Shoot it like you were hunting it!..... Rec class and comp clas shooters would be on seperate courses.

Your thoughts and feedback are welcome. I want to see our shoot attendance explode!.... and have everyone bring their kids and families and have lots of fun!...

I have lots of ideas for novelty shoots as well especially for the kids and a few things up my sleeve for the adults as well.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:46 PM

Default 3D Shoot

The idea of having a rec class and competition class is a good one. The 3D shoots I attended in Ontario had the same principal. There was a hunter class and comp class. The hunter class had some restrictions like stabilizer length, no scopes and stuff like that. It's nice to compete with people that have similar rigs. I have never been in an event that allowed range finders though. That is a new one for me. I think half the challenge of 3D shoots is guessing yardage but it does go hand in hand with the hunter style them of the class.IMHO. I don't know many bowhunters who don't use a rangefinder anymore.

Another thing that was fun at the 3D shoots I attended are the exotic targets that you can get. Always shooting at deer, bear, coyotes gets a little repetitive. African targets are fun and you can get some pretty weird ones now, I think I saw a full life size target of an alien from the movies. Anyway good luck at your tourney. Where will it be held? I'd like to get back into shootin 3D!!

Whitey
Old 03-12-2008, 01:07 PM

It will be held at parkland Bowbenders Range, just south of Villeneuve airport on Range Road 271 (Pioneer Road)

You can go west from villeneuve turn south on RR 271 and go 1/2 mile and it will be on right through a white gate.

Or you can go north off of highway 16 on RR 271 and go north and 1/2 mile before airport (You will see it in distance when you break over hill) turn left through gate.

There will be signs!....

We will sort a few details and get poster done very soon!...
Old 03-12-2008, 02:01 PM

When I went in my first tourney years ago (prior to 3D), they set up a "fun div." in which score meant nothing. This was for beginners and those just coming out to see if they liked archery. The neat thing they did was make scores hidden behind each target. So sometimes you got more points for missing the target than if you hit the 10 spot. Not sure how well it would work on 3D targets but I enjoyed myself and even won the class Got me hooked and I didn't worry about the pressure from the "great shooters". I have been to some since and found it a little more competitive & very long for my liking. Sounds like your shoot will be fun, too bad it's not close to Calgary or I'd give it a try. Good luck to you and let us know how it turns out (with pics).
Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 PM

We've had a hunter class for some time now.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:09 PM

I have never shot 3D before but would like to start going to some shoots. It would be alittle intimidating having to shoot against the pro's. I like the idea of a hunter class. I am up in Spruce Grove lots so I will try and make it to the shoot.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 PM

havent shot 3d yet but would like to try it out, dont know if id be too keen on just jumping in with the big guys but think it would be a blast to go shoot a hunter or rec course
Old 03-13-2008, 01:18 AM

We are hosting a archery tourney in Chauvin Alberta
April 19th and 20th

Saturday will be like a normal 3D competition
Sunday is a Fun shoot rangefinders will be allowed on sunday and the scores will mean nothing just go out and have fun.

Registration is 8:30-9:30
shotgun Start at 10:15 am

If you are interested call Travis 780-842-8017

Sorry nekred for hijacking your post

I will be at yours for sure if I am not in the fields working and I will be shooting my reg 3D rig

Cya there
Trav
Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 AM

All sanctioning bodies in Canada already have a Hunter Class. Shots are from nearer stakes and there are limits on stabs, fletching, and sights.

Also, I hunt with binos, so why can't we use them in your proposed r"rec or hunter round?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:18 AM

Wookie:

I thought to try something different and speed things up!....Don't want the rangefinding, then the bino-ing then the shooting!...

and because it is our shoot and we want to!

Plus I am feeling nostalgiac and wanted a return to the good old days when you had to know where to shoot an animal.....

I have been over this ground many times. I use binos when hunting to identify an animal, not for shooting it. I don't look at a real deer for rings to find the heart!.... If animal is in bow range, legal, and I decide it is go time... It is time for shooting not looking!...

That being said I may change my mind depending on feedback!....

I am very familiar with the Hunter class it is a good idea but who promotes it? Plus the equipmentlimitations are a bit more restrictive than I will be for the Rec Class!....

The Rec class will be the unsanctioned part.... the Comp class will be the sanctioned part!... as per the FCA rules.

The two groups will not be on same course at same time.

Anyways I really appreciate the feedback, and seeing that there is an intimidation factor is preventing some people from wanting to come to shoots We will be definitely doing a recreational class! I hope to see you all out at our shoot and Trav's shoot as well!....

More details will follow in a new post with our shoot poster. We want to get the details worked out. Thanks keep letting me know what you think because I want to have a shoot with excellent attendance and get us all out there doing what we love!.... shooting our bows, shooting the bull, and laughing....ALOT
Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM

So the rec and comp classes are not on the same courses at the same time. Comp Shooter A gets his buddy to shoot rec class with a rangfinder. Between rounds the get together and comp shooter A now has the yardages for every target. now you got a problem.

Rangefinders have no place in 3D. Learn how to judge yardages.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:51 PM

Comp class shoots the courses first before the rec class gets on them just an organisation thing!.... Rec class also shoots from different stakes!....

3 courses...

and let them talk.... when we move pegs for 3rd course on Sunday!... it will be funny!....

You look at 3D as a target sport and many see it as a simulation of bowhunting. Range finders are very common today in bow hunting!...

so we will call rec class "Bowhunting Simulation" and Comp Class 3D then range finders not in 3D....

Trevor I agree with You Range estimation is a fundamental part of 3D. But times are changing.

I opposed binos being allowed for 3D because it would take away from hunting aspect
I promoted proper target placement to make kill zone representative of the shot
I opposed when long stabilisers were added to BHR....

Becuase I felt that we were going from bowhunting to target archery.....

Now the change is for one shoot to try and bring the grassroots of hunting back to 3D......just to see if it works!...

Anyways last year before our hunting shoot I opposed range finders and a penalty being awarded for using them. It was brought to my attention how many people use them and at the shoot I was shown where a good quality rangefinder made a difference!..... I was also reminded that I carry one when hunting. So we allowed range finders since I was being hypocritical....

Anyways for competitive 3D I agree range estimation without a range finder is an important part of it. Along with binos, and long stabilisers!....

It is a trial and see what works. maybe this may be the new face of 3d... no sorry Bowhunting Simulation!....
Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 PM

You better come up with your own line of anatomically correct targets then with no scoring rings.

I agree that we need some new blood in 3D, I just think your approach is off the deep end.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM

Not anatomically correctjust placed so that it would approximate a relaistic hunting shot.

I do not like the scrape the side on a quartering away shot to get a 10 that would be a wound in real life...

I love the mackenzie quartering away deer shot if it is used properly for a quartering away tree stand shot... Not placed broadside at 50 yards so that you cannot see the rings a back and high!....

As for what end of I am off on that is what feedback is for. It may be the deep end but i have had some affirmitive responses as well.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Not anatomically correctjust placed so that it would approximate a relaistic hunting shot.

I do not like the scrape the side on a quartering away shot to get a 10 that would be a wound in real life...

I love the mackenzie quartering away deer shot if it is used properly for a quartering away tree stand shot... Not placed broadside at 50 yards so that you cannot see the rings a back and high!....

As for what end of I am off on that is what feedback is for. It may be the deep end but i have had some affirmitive responses as well.
Oh Al, you are definatly off the deep end!

Just yankin you're chain, you know, constructive critisism, devil's advocate etc.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM

I know they told me archery was a serious sport!....

I am proving that all wrong!....

You got me you................
Old 03-13-2008, 08:01 PM

hey nekred
i went to the parkland shoot last year and had a great time ..
the kids were asking if the same guy is running your catering they thought it was cool that they could try different kind of burger they had elk and buffalo ,,they guy running it was a pretty nice guy and if i may add the steak dinner was unbelivable let me know if he is doing it again this year and if so you can count on the 5 of us showing up
Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 PM

Default 3D shoot

i agree that you need exotic targets to shoot at. for there fun and new and if few people have seen them, then no one knows where the 10 ring is. one more thing is it helps if there in different enviroments eg. across a creek bed or in a bog or swamp.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 AM

Grandslamer, thanks for the feedback!....

It sure is nice to hear good things!.... Our concession/catering/steak dude will be back this year,

I have run the shoot in past years.... This year brought in some new blood... I will be there just in the background more!.... helping out!

We were talking last night and we decided that rangefinders would not be used for rec class, based on feedback we have recieved and with our personal preference. But what we will do is keep all "rec" shots to less than 40 yards and most of these will be less than 35. But if people want challenge they are welcome to try the orange stake which is max 50!...

poster will be up soon now that we hammered out the details!....
Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 AM

Good job Al. I think your club made the right decision.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 PM

If you need some help setting up Nekred, be sure to ask. I am going to try and make your shoot and will play in the 'fun' class if you have it. You can throw me in with the rookies if you get any. Unless the rules have seriously changed I know my way around a 3D course pretty well, and I can be trusted not to frighten the newbies off.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Thanks, I definitely welcome your help...

Pm on its way!...
Old 03-16-2008, 02:44 PM

Nekred,

You can sign me and the girlfriend up.... we'll be there....
Old 03-16-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
We are hosting a archery tourney in Chauvin Alberta
April 19th and 20th

Saturday will be like a normal 3D competition
Sunday is a Fun shoot rangefinders will be allowed on sunday and the scores will mean nothing just go out and have fun.

Registration is 8:30-9:30
shotgun Start at 10:15 am

If you are interested call Travis 780-842-8017

Sorry nekred for hijacking your post

I will be at yours for sure if I am not in the fields working and I will be shooting my reg 3D rig

Cya there
Trav
Chauvin, where the heck is that?
Old 03-16-2008, 04:15 PM

Just looked myself...

So Where is Chauvin?