Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Stabilizers?

What are you using on your hunting bow? I am looking for a new one for mine.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:17 PM

I don't use anything, never been a problem. Lighter bow to carry in the bush.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
I don't use anything, never been a problem. Lighter bow to carry in the bush.
X2 I'm putting up 1.5 inch groups at 30 yards through a Wisker Bisquit. I'm gonna pass on a stablelizer until someone shows me that I can do 1" groups at 50 yards with one.

Tree
Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 AM

Default 11.5" Doinker Carbon Elite

Of all the Stabilizers I have used I like this one the best. I had it on my Tribute and now it is on my Guardian. Yes it add's weight but it is long enough I can use it lean lean against a Tree and never have to worry about it falling over in the field. It also makes my bpow deadly silent. They are not cheap but in my opinion they are worth the money. As for tightening my groups it helps but I could not tell you it will make you shoot smaller groups.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 AM

I use the Vibracheck.. I was unsure of them as well until I saw this. It really shows the amount of dampening in slow mo. I doubt the short ones (under 12") make any difference in accuracy but they do make your bow quieter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdSFK...eature=related
Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 PM

The best thing I ever did to shrink my groups was to use a stabalizer. It doubled my comfortable shooting range. If you haven't tried one, do it. There is a reason all those guys you see on T.V. shooting all those big deer use one (IMHO).
Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 PM

The best stabalizer is the one that fits your bow the best for the way you shoot. You need to almost go in and try a bunch and see what works best with your setup. All depends on what you have on your bow already and how its balanced. Go to the CAC and ask to try them all out. You can try them all out and shoot some groups with each....you'll know which one feels the best by the time you shoot 3-6 arrows with each one.....easily the best thing to do...
Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranky View Post
The best thing I ever did to shrink my groups was to use a stabalizer. It doubled my comfortable shooting range. If you haven't tried one, do it. There is a reason all those guys you see on T.V. shooting all those big deer use one (IMHO).
Explain please.

If someone can prove to me that a stablizer will improving my chances in a hunting situation, I'd love to hear it. I can see how if you are into shooting 3Ds a60 yards it may help, but when I can do 1.5" groups at 30+ yards with my hunting unit that spends a great deal of time belly crawling with me and stalking through some dense stuff, I'm not gonna toss an extra $85 on my bow just to look cool. My quiver is probably gonna come off it this year too. Simple is better, and thats why my wife loves me.

Tree
Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Explain please.

If someone can prove to me that a stablizer will improving my chances in a hunting situation, I'd love to hear it. I can see how if you are into shooting 3Ds a60 yards it may help, but when I can do 1.5" groups at 30+ yards with my hunting unit that spends a great deal of time belly crawling with me and stalking through some dense stuff, I'm not gonna toss an extra $85 on my bow just to look cool. My quiver is probably gonna come off it this year too. Simple is better, and thats why my wife loves me.

Tree
I am just curious as to why you think removing the quiver simplfies your situation? Where are you going to put your arrows while belly crawling through dense stuff.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
I am just curious as to why you think removing the quiver simplfies your situation? Where are you going to put your arrows while belly crawling through dense stuff.
Part of the problem with my bow/quiver set up, is that my nocks sit about 3" lower than the wheel on the bottem of my bow. It has and does bug the crap of me. I'm looking into getting a custom made over the sholder sort of thing made. I just want my bow to be my bow, not an arrow holder. I'm all about KISS, Keep It Simple (because I'm) Stupid!

I just don't like 'em on my bow. Maybe I'll get a snappy Robin Hood hat made up at the same time!

Tree
Old 02-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Understood - I caution you that when you don't have your arrows as part of your bow, the temptation exists to dump 'extra' items you are carrying during the last part of the stock / crawl .... I just would hate to see you run out of arrows. I know second shots are few and far between but you just should be prepared.

I am all for KISS as well, I have enough to think about and do while bow hunting already. I just think the best place for arrows is with your bow IMO.

Last edited by BigRackLover; 02-15-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:40 PM

In many situations that stabilizer might not be that big of a benefit when hunting. But there is a reason most target shooters use them. They do help stabilize your sight picture quicker and steady your aim (heavy is indeed steady). I know even in a slight wind the stabilizer helps my aim and when hunting the prairies for mule dee, antelope etc it can help in making a good shot.

Given perfect, calm conditions your likely not going to see a benefit but when things aren't perfect a stabilizer will definately be an asset.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:11 AM

Kevin explains the reasoning very well. I have a vibrachek on mine, plus some PSE NV's to add some more mass.

I don't have a bow quiver right now but I'm shopping for a 2 piece for mine right now. BigRackLover has an excellent point about stripping kit on belly stocks. I have had 2 occasions where I could have used a 2nd arrow. Once, I couldn't see my arrows hanging behind me and I kept grabbing the wrong (same) one, and once I had stripped gear on a stalk and my pack was 40 or 50 yds behind me.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
In many situations that stabilizer might not be that big of a benefit when hunting. But there is a reason most target shooters use them. They do help stabilize your sight picture quicker and steady your aim (heavy is indeed steady). I know even in a slight wind the stabilizer helps my aim and when hunting the prairies for mule dee, antelope etc it can help in making a good shot.

Given perfect, calm conditions your likely not going to see a benefit but when things aren't perfect a stabilizer will definately be an asset.
one thing that I have found also is that certain stabilizers will actually quiet your bows vibrations and noise down. To me that is a big factor as to why i use a stab on my hunting bow
Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 PM

Default Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Explain please.

Tree
I'm not sure when we sarted measureing archery groups in inches? When I got into bowhunting 35 years ago we shot games. I haven't been to the lanes for a long time. Have things changed that much? Anyway, before I started using a stabalizer I shot 210 - 220 at 20 yards. After installing a stabalizer I shot 295 - 298 at 20 yards, 220- 230 at 40 yards. I use a Saunders stabalizer, total length is 8.5". (not sure if you can buy them anymore). It is far less encumbersome when stalking than my quiver.

If you have the time to pracitce, and you really want to keep things simple, shoot a recurve or long bow. Nothing will get in your way when you are crawling on your belly toward that buck of a life time.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:34 AM

I no longer use one and have shot 2 Robin hoods at 30 yards without......for me, the extra weight of one was unecessary. Biggest difference for me accuracy wise, was switching to a single sight pin.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Kranky, i have a Saunders torque tamer in the hunting room . I used it when i first started shooting. Ya its long, but my gosh, what a great tool for its intended use. I replaced it with smaller stabilizers over the years, but its the only one that has stuck around that isnt being used. Ive loaned it out a couple times to guys to help them remedy issues with torqing etc, worked everytime. No, you cant buy them anymore, your 100% right there, so if you have one, KEEP IT. Wendell down at Bow Island wanted that stabilizer something fierce, but i just couldnt get rid of it. He said they are near collectors items, and about the only stabilizer hes ever seen do that good of a job as a training aid, or to help with issues.

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:59 AM

Torque Tamers -

Here ya go...

http://www.sausa.com/pp5.html
Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Wow.... They are still around. I did not know that. Great stabilizers. I have the 10 inch, and boy does it work well. If anyone out there has issues with torquing give one of these babys a try, they do work.

keepa strain on er.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
but when I can do 1.5" groups at 30+ yards with my hunting unit
Dang if you can do that consistentlyyou should shoot 3D and target competitions.... if you used a stabiliser you would be gaining world records!...

I love the guys that claim to be able to hit a Tim Horton's cup lid at 70 yards every time!....
Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I love the guys that claim to be able to hit a Tim Horton's cup lid at 70 yards every time!....
Obviously you haven't bought the box of coffee yet, that'll give an 6"x6" square
Old 02-19-2008, 10:05 AM

Posted by TreeGuy
Part of the problem with my bow/quiver set up, is that my nocks sit about 3" lower than the wheel on the bottem of my bow. It has and does bug the crap of me.

How about installing your bow quiver reversed, meaning install the broadhead cup on the bottom and the shaft grip up top.
Chuck Wagon
Old 02-20-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
How about installing your bow quiver reversed, meaning install the broadhead cup on the bottom and the shaft grip up top.
Chuck Wagon
Yeah, I thought about it and will give it a try. It's probably someting I'm going to have to live with as every different quiver I've tried is an even bigger pain. We'll see. Thanks.

Tree
Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Dang if you can do that consistentlyyou should shoot 3D and target competitions.... if you used a stabiliser you would be gaining world records!
I have very little interest in competitions or ranges for some strange reason. Maybe at some point I'll try it and maybe like it. Just not now. Also, I wouldn't hold my breath on any records.

Quote:
Nek, I made no such claims. I only said that I can do 1.5" groups consistantly to about 30 yards that's all, and I said it because I can. If that sounded like bragging then I apologize because I was not. No offence ment.

Tree
Old 02-21-2008, 06:38 AM

Don't worry Tree, NR is just jealous

I wouldn't take up 3D for the competition, take it up for the social aspect. Camping and exchanging hunting stories, it can make for a great weekend with friends.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
but when I can do 1.5" groups at 30+
Just want to point out the contradiction. This is the statement my tongue in cheek post was referring too. No offense meant..... just being a smart elbow!...
Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM

I was unfair to Tree.... Sorry Dude!....

being way too picky!....
Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 PM

I'd hate to think what would have happened if we were talking about putting stabilizers on our.............PECKERS!

Tree
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 AM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Limbsaver, probably about the best stabilizer on the market today.

It has individual modules so can increase the length or decrease it.

Stabilizers will help your groupings tremendously especially in hunting situations. It is paramount that a bowhunter has a forgiving bow while hunting because if your a worth a lick you should know that form becomes compromised in the field.

A hunting stabilizer doesn't need to be 12" long. IMO 6" is sufficient for hunting. Target shooting is a whole different realm.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:31 PM

i have one of the new limbsavers one's that you can build to desired lengths and i think its great! they wont make you hit the bullseye every time but they sure do help stabilize the pin on your target