Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-12-2018, 08:06 AM

Default Gorka Membrane suit

Gents, a more in-depth review of the Russian Gorka Membrane suit rated for -25 to -5C, available from Rus-Mil.com. I discovered these in my search for reasonably priced, but practical hunting outfits. Took a gamble and ordered some from Russia, and was pleasantly surprised. If anybody is looking for detailed photos, pm me and I can e-mail any specific details to you.

Overall description:
A combination outfit consisting out of bib style pants with jacket and removable hood. My review sets came in the “Snowstorm” and MU-Blur patterns (personal selection when I ordered).

Material and patterns:
A multitude of camo patterns are available, ranging from ATACs, to various Snow patterns. Standard fixed colors olive or black are also available. All patterns look excellent, with good printing. The clothing has an internal membrane, a soft exterior, and is fleece lined. Given the plethora of colours available in the snow boarding scene, the jackets would not look out of place in a casual context. Both the pants and jacket has internal insulation that will suffice “as is” probably down to -15.

Functionality & detail:
Very good. The details are well though out.
The removable hood have both size and position adjusters. My review sets both came with the face mask, and it was of equally high quality. I can recommend adding it.
The jacket has enough pockets, some with zippers, some with buttons. Knitted cuffs keeps the heat in. A good storm flap protects the zippers. The jacket also have several internal adjusters to customize fit/air space. No loose “water bottle” style internal pockets. Zippered pockets for stuff you want to keep secure.
Bib pants have enough pockets, and the lower leg section includes an integral boot cuff, and a foot strap/stirrup to simplify donning boots. So riding up of pants here! Insulation is adjusted for this purpose, so you may need insulated boots in extreme conditions. Pants also have adjusters to tune the fit on the legs and come with sturdy suspenders. No pinch points or potential pressure points when wearing a pack.

Comfort & Fit:
Very, very comfortable to wear due to the fleece finish. Fit is athletic, with the bib pants fitting slightly smaller than noted, and the jacket slightly larger to allow for additional layers. Fit favors a V body shape. Lengthwise it fits true to the upper dimension noted on the sizing charts. When properly adjusted, the set-up is temperature wise easily comparible to a two-piece snowmobile suit, and comes very close to a one-piece suit.

Workmanship:
Excellent. Stitching is good, and the clothing looks excellent. The site photos do not do the set justice.

Cost:
Very reasonable. US$120 for a set. Even including the shipping costs, it compares very well with any locally available clothing. For the features you receive it is hard (read that as impossible) to beat the value.

Shipping & service:
It ships from Russia, and can take 3-5 weeks to arrive. “Long” compared to North American vendors, but again, the value justifies the wait. Service and communications were good and fast – e-mail responses were typically within 4-6 hours.

Unknowns:
Membrane “waterproofness”. Given the construction and temperature rating, this would not be a system that I will use where I expect to be rained on. It will be too hot to wear comfortably. So the membrane was evaluated for windproof characteristics instead.

Verdict:
A very well priced, high quality product that can be used for a multitude of outdoor activities. It would make a great hunting outfit due to the soft finish. The set will be hot when used for high exertion activities, so expect to “de-layer”. It also comes in a lower temperature rating (-40 to -5C), which I’ll review once I receive it.
The -25 to -5C version will, with a proper mid layer, cover most Canadian winter activities. Blind/stand style hunting activities may warrant the colder version, but given the functionality of the system, you’d better have a lighter option to get to your location!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:58 AM

Interesting, is there a website to have a look? Oops, just noticed you mentioned the site
Old 12-12-2018, 09:08 AM

I have a Gorka-3M.......have been using hard for the past 7 years - love it.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:48 AM

I'm very interested in this! How quiet are they to walk in? That price seems pretty good to me.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:16 PM

Very quiet. Almost a velvet finish, just more durable. Similar to the stealth style jackets.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:51 AM

Update: I received a set of the -40 to -5C clothing, with face mask and gloves. Shipping took 3 weeks this time around, and it is new manufacture – i.e. late 2018.
Generally it duplicates the lighter set in terms of fit and functionality. Excellent attention to detail again. The bib fits well – and again I must stress that you need to fit it properly. It is NOT the typical North American sizing where an M is actually a European L or XL. The sizing is accurate.
Both the bib and jacket have added insulation. The jacket is cut slightly larger to allow for additional base layers if needed, and can be adjusted if wearing alone. Gloves and mask are the same quality.
I tested the suit out in our current weather. -29C, or -40C with the wind. Absolutely no issue once all the adjustment cords were done up/tightened.
Value for money: Superb. I challenge any local vendor to beat the quality, functionality, and available patterns for this cost.
I’ve now imported four sets for myself and friends with zero issues (touch wood…). Service of the vendor was excellent, with good communications.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:16 AM

How quiet is this stuff? Would it be quiet enough for bowhunting?
Old 02-06-2019, 04:32 PM

Are these new or military surplus?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-06-2019, 05:14 PM

Default Here is a site

https://rus-mil.com/shop/clothes/mem...r/#magnific/0/
Looks a bit like a Sitka pattern.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 PM

Interesting
Old 02-06-2019, 09:25 PM

Soft on outside, brand new stuff. Bowhunting? No issues when sitting in a stand. Walk and stalk- you will make more noise with your feet...
And at the price I will simply buy different patterns if needed. Two suits are a big parcel. Shipping was around $40. No duties or taxes so far on anything.