Mary Brown 42 22.11%
KFC 48 25.26%
Popeye 36 18.95%
A & W 7 3.68%
Other 57 30.00%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2019, 12:07 PM

Default Chicken

We have Charlie Biggs, down here, it’s Ok if it’s right out of the fryer.
In Lethbridge Mary Browns is good.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyvdH View Post
Amen brother.. KFC is only good for a internal cleansing.......
Same here. Every time I ate it, it.....uh....'did something' to my insides, and I spent a lotta time running to the privy.

Dean2 might disagree with me because he mentioned different locations, but I found them all the same.

My favorite - HOME MADE with Mary Brown running a close second.

Never cared much for any of the others.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:28 PM

Here’s the thing about MBs and KFC. They’re always hit or miss. KFC has definitely changed the recipe since I was a kid. Not nearly as good.
I’ve been to Seoul fried chicken, small pieces but it was good, not outstanding though.
Everyone I have ever talked to that went to Northern Fried Chicken says it’s the best.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Same here. Every time I ate it, it.....uh....'did something' to my insides, and I spent a lotta time running to the privy.

Dean2 might disagree with me because he mentioned different locations, but I found them all the same.

My favorite - HOME MADE with Mary Brown running a close second.

Never cared much for any of the others.
Would not disagree with you. I have an iron gut, a week after getting food poisoning bad enough to throw up three times in less than an hour after eating Earl's 4 pepper chicken dish, I went to the doctor cause I still wasn't feeling right. He said the count was still high enough it should have had me laid up in bed and that it would have killed a lot of people at those levels. He had no idea what it would have been just after eating the food. Have not eaten at Earl's since.

Doesn't surprise me that many people have bad reactions to a lot of KFC's chicken, just never had that issue myself. I rate them strictly on taste and quality/quantity.

Recently tried Ong Hanoi Fried Chicken in St Albert. Owned by the same guys that have Jack's Burger Shack. VERY limited menu but pretty darn good chicken if you like that style and flavour profile.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am blown away by how many votes KFC has received.
No kidding, the last time I tried that garbage it squirted grease everywhere and was dripping off the piece. Tried giving the rest to my dog and he wouldn't even eat it, he NEVER passes on people food. Pretty bad when a dog won't even eat it. Absolutely DISGUSTING!

As mentioned Seoul Fried is delicious as is Coco fried in Kensington shopping center on 127 st & 132 ave in E-town.

I'll have to try northern on 124'th. A little off topic but there is a GREAT all you can eat Sushi joint on 124'th as well called Watari, right where 124'th turns into Jasper Ave. Haven't left that place yet without going into a food coma
Old 01-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I had Mary Brown's once and thought it was overpriced trash. Maybe I got a bad batch.

There's a place in central Edmonton called "Ralph's Convenience Store", and they have no joke some of the best fried chicken I've ever eaten.

Popyes isn't bad either.
Not a bad batch. It just isn’t good. I go there for big Mary chicken sandwich and tater poutine. Those are good

Fried chicken.... not so much.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
No kidding, the last time I tried that garbage it squirted grease everywhere and was dripping off the piece. Tried giving the rest to my dog and he wouldn't even eat it, he NEVER passes on people food. Pretty bad when a dog won't even eat it. Absolutely DISGUSTING!

As mentioned Seoul Fried is delicious as is Coco fried in Kensington shopping center on 127 st & 132 ave in E-town.

I'll have to try northern on 124'th. A little off topic but there is a GREAT all you can eat Sushi joint on 124'th as well called Watari, right where 124'th turns into Jasper Ave. Haven't left that place yet without going into a food coma
I’m hitting it up. Thanks for the tip
Old 01-14-2019, 03:36 PM

Another vote for Northern Chicken....fantastic with a great crunch and 3 different levels of heat, add a side of their doritos mac and cheese and a cold draft or a whiskey and a great night out...even my wife chose it for her birthday dinner...and they deliver via skip the dishes

10704 124 St, Edmonton
Old 01-14-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
KFC varies greatly by location the best I've had was in Yuma huge pieces, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, biscuits with honey and tasty gravy the worst is in Lloyd the sea gulls won't eat it.
I agree that taste varies,but never so bad the gulls couldn't eat it lol. Mary Brown use to be the best but they changed their recipe years ago. I like Kentucky Yuckky now and then. Hard to beat baked chicken with savory spiced stuffing.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
Another vote for Northern Chicken....fantastic with a great crunch and 3 different levels of heat, add a side of their doritos mac and cheese and a cold draft or a whiskey and a great night out...even my wife chose it for her birthday dinner...and they deliver via skip the dishes

10704 124 St, Edmonton
Bingo! That is a dang good meal right there. Did you try any of the crazy hot ones?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:34 PM

Default Home Made

We do our own from the Barefoot Contessa recipe. Buttermilk marinated. AWESOME!!! I sure am surprised at the KFC percentage...haven't had good luck there at all.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The best I ever had was Cheff Otto mDaniels chicken, when I worked with him.
Fantastic chicken it was. I’d be willing to bet that as lot of type chicken that folks think is so good is actually frozen chicken tossed in the oven or air fryer
We have Charlie Biggs, down here, it’s Ok if it’s right out of the fryer.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The best I ever had was Cheff Otto mDaniels chicken, when I worked with him.
Fantastic chicken it was. I’d be willing to bet that as lot of type chicken that folks think is so good is actually frozen chicken tossed in the oven or fryer
Had lunch with Otto in March. Asked him to make me Fried Chicken. It was tasty,But I still prefer the chicken that Bence Antal makes
Old 05-28-2019, 07:44 AM

I have only tried Mary Browns twice, in Fort Mac.. Not impressed. Prefer AW or even KFC. Not all stores are good or bad. Just sayin.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler1 View Post
I have only tried Mary Browns twice, in Fort Mac.. Not impressed. Prefer AW or even KFC. Not all stores are good or bad. Just sayin.
No matter whether it is KFC, or Mary Browns asking for your chicken well done, or extra crispy produces a much better result. Having it flash dipped in the hot oil for a few minutes before you eat it makes a huge difference. A big part of what led to the decline in chicken flavour/crispness is leaving them sitting in a warming oven for far too long, rather than cooking fresh to order. It is our own fault for never wanting to wait for anything.

Try it the next time you order chicken at you favourite store, you will be surprised at how much it improves the product.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:14 AM

I like KFC alright, maybe two times a year, though I'm a bit of a weirdo in how I consume it.
I dump the bucket on cooling racks, pick out the back pieces and eat those, then when the rest are cooled off I throw them back in the paper towel lined bucket and put it in the fridge for cool chicken snacks and lunch.

Now I have to get some on Wednesday for my first Kentucky duck of the year.....
Old 05-28-2019, 09:20 AM

KFC varies by location Lloyd has the worst anywhere hands down skimpy greasy, tasteless coated chicken with watery gravy and wood chip fries.
The kids insisted on KFC for a birthday ended up throwing most of it out if a 10 year old won't eat it, it has to be bad. 7-11 is a better choice in Lloyd