Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2023, 03:51 PM

The fireworks are back on for Calgary, everyone can relax now, disaster averted.

https://twitter.com/KirkLubimov/stat...Y6757Tt_g&s=19

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-25-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, well actually there's no other way to take it. That is the most lame excuse for being in support of a virtuous, racially grandstanding move if there ever was one.
You care about the environment so you're ok with them cancelling a long standing tradition based on misguided concerns of colonialism and racism?
Puhhlease.
No, I’m just okay with them canceling them, I don’t really give a rat’s arse about the colonialism and racism, I think that’s silly. While I realize that may be the unwarranted reason, I’m just choosing to be okay with the decision for another reason that’s all. If other places cancel then for other reasons, such as fire risk, I’ll be okay with that too, but in those cases I’ll have two reasons to support it. Like I said, first world problems. We can agree to disagree. No worries.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So how does a fireworks display in a city, have a negative effect on wildlife? Are you also against shooting ranges and target shooting?
Heck no, but that’s an apples to oranges comparison. I’d have also thought Calgary itself and immediate surroundings had wildlife. Maybe I’m wrong.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
Heck no, but that’s an apples to oranges comparison. I’d have also thought Calgary itself and immediate surroundings had wildlife. Maybe I’m wrong.
Sure Calgary has coyotes and nuisance deer , in the city, and birds at the airport that cause issues, and if fireworks would make them go away, it would make many people happy, but fireworks haven't driven them away yet. The fact is, that the city noise, vehicles, aircraft, fireworks, and thunder and lighting, don't seem to drive the wildlife away.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:54 PM

What’ll really get people’s britches in a knot is realizing that tax dollars paid for the virtuous/woke thought of cancelling them in the first place. Someone should ask notley what she thinks about it.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:53 PM

Who got sent to band camp?

Tullfan
Old 05-25-2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
Who got sent to band camp?

Tullfan
Swede went to the penalty box. Not banned.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
What’ll really get people’s britches in a knot is realizing that tax dollars paid for the virtuous/woke thought of cancelling them in the first place. Someone should ask notley what she thinks about it.
There are always going to be people happy/unhappy with how tax dollars are spent. Some will love dropping 150 grand on some oooing and aagghing, some will hate it. No matter what, britches get in knots. It’s a personal narrative thing pretty much.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:07 AM

Remembrance Day will be next, maybe not right away but it’s coming
Old 05-26-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
The argument against that comes from some dog owners whose mutts go bonkers , there's always somebody to offend.

Grizz
Well then, me thinks they should be mailing out some hurt feelings forms.
So what happens to Globalfest? Is it OK cause it has different countries and not just Canada? What a crock. Better get the earth size dump truck, cause the wheelbarrow ain't gonna be big enough to take care of all the sheet that goes on. SAD SAD SAD
Old 05-26-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Remembrance Day will be next, maybe not right away but it’s coming
I'd love to say you're wrong, but I don't think you are.

Our Prime idiot has already found more important things than the national ceremony to attend twice, since taking office. And neither of those things had anything to do with Canada.

They just keep chipping away at our societal fabric, hoping to turn us into God knows what.
Glad to see Calgary residents show the wackadoodles where the line is.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I'd love to say you're wrong, but I don't think you are.

Our Prime idiot has already found more important things than the national ceremony to attend twice, since taking office. And neither of those things had anything to do with Canada.

They just keep chipping away at our societal fabric, hoping to turn us into God knows what.
Glad to see Calgary residents show the wackadoodles where the line is.
In the old days you had to be a veteran to join the legion, now they'll take anybody. I think that's destroyed some of the relevance to the members and the general public has forgotten a lot. Even Pearl harbor tries to be non judgmental.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-26-2023, 04:18 PM

I mean I don't doubt there are some pandering butt-hurts in town councils all over looking for any way to be offended and looking to mirror Trudeau's empty virtue signaling .... but, if you look into ACTUAL discussions amongst many cities and jurisdictions, the cancelation of fireworks was (has been) related to the FIRE DANGER these fireworks may cause.

I personally would be understanding if this was the case as it would be justified.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
if you look into ACTUAL discussions amongst many cities and jurisdictions, the cancelation of fireworks was (has been) related to the FIRE DANGER these fireworks may cause.

I personally would be understanding if this was the case as it would be justified.
Absolutely, that would be a reasonable justification in the minds of most.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:53 AM

Alberta is suffering through the biggest forest fires in our history. Fireworks can start more fires, why the hell do we need to shoot gun powder into the air and risk loss of more forest.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I mean I don't doubt there are some pandering butt-hurts in town councils all over looking for any way to be offended and looking to mirror Trudeau's empty virtue signaling .... but, if you look into ACTUAL discussions amongst many cities and jurisdictions, the cancelation of fireworks was (has been) related to the FIRE DANGER these fireworks may cause.

This is what I thought was the reason until I read the articles.

There's was pushback from both First Nations/Indigenous as well as Chinese communities that they were used as one of the reasons for this decision without actually consulting with them that this was what they wanted. Now that they've had the pushback from these communities maybe they'll be more mindful moving forward of attempting to monopolize different groups for their own hollow virtue signaling.

All that said, cancelling fireworks isn't cancelling Canada Day in itself, that's a bit of an over reaction.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:51 PM

Wow, have I got a chuckle for ya. I've been in the tractor waaaayyyy too long!!! For some stupid reason I thought it was next week and was because of the fire bans. Good golly.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Alberta is suffering through the biggest forest fires in our history. Fireworks can start more fires, why the hell do we need to shoot gun powder into the air and risk loss of more forest.
Inside a city. They have firefighters.

Risk is minimal, had they given risk of fires as a reason this thread probably wouldn't have been started. They don't care about fires starting, just hurt feelings.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Inside a city. They have firefighters.

Risk is minimal, had they given risk of fires as a reason this thread probably wouldn't have been started. They don't care about fires starting, just hurt feelings.
It's all about virtue signaling.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's all about virtue signaling.
Exactly.

A really good article on the subject:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/can...ar-weve-fallen

Ironically some of, if not the most, patriotic events I have ever attended were the protests downtown during the trucker convoy.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:21 PM

Default Oh boy!

Quote:
Exactly.

A really good article on the subject:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/can...ar-weve-fallen

Ironically some of, if not the most, patriotic events I have ever attended were the protests downtown during the trucker convoy.
You better be careful admitting you were part of the protests!
The government will have you charged with domestic terrorism and they may freeze your bank accounts.
Not to mention you might get Doxed and canceled by the media if they catch wind of it.
This is what we have to look forward to for many years to come.
We have much further to fall and we will.