Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-24-2023, 06:18 PM

Default Alberta Wildfire Areal Pictures.

So a wildfire started somewhere SE of our hunting camp couple weeks ago, located East of Reno, AB. Same travelled NW and missed our hunting camp by about 3 miles.

There is a powerline that splits WMU 544/523, and we take turns applying for our Bull Moose draws, which are coming up soon. My guess is the fire crossed the powerline within our hunting area.

Most of us are 6 hours away from our camp, so have no idea if our moose hunting area has been directly/indirectly affected.

I am aware of how things regrow after a wildfire, so don't want to get into a discussion about that.

Some of us are planning a trip up there in early July which is the earliest most can get up there. But the draw will be before that, and we are not sure yet to go ahead with our priorities...or "999" for a year.

So, any info before the draw would be appreciated.

Hence this thread.

Is there any site which would show after the fact aerial pics of this particular fire?

I have checked but my Google capabilities are somewhat lame, and found nothing.

Thanx in advance...
Old 05-24-2023, 06:36 PM

Fire season has just begun, so if this one missed the area the next one might not.
WDF
Old 05-24-2023, 08:15 PM

From having the miss fortune of drawing a moose tag in B.C. during a bad fire season I would apply 999 this year if I was you

What I experienced was the moose were displaced and didn’t behave as normal. I also found pressure increased do to hunters having their normal spots burned caused them to push into anywhere that was unaffected by fire. Some areas were also closed to access because of the fire limiting access further

The following year when my father and brother drew the same area it was much better after things settled

Your choice but regardless of present conditions that would impact its far from over yet
Old 05-24-2023, 09:39 PM

Just make sure you punch in the correct date.
https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentin...howDates=false

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-25-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Just make sure you punch in the correct date.
https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentin...howDates=false
Thank you, and the 3 other fine members that have sent me PMs with the information I needed.

Once I figure out how to navigate these sites (I am a tad computer illiterate), should be able to determine where the fire went through near our camp.

Then I suppose our group will have to make a decision in regards the 2023 Bull Moose Draw.

Again, TYVM all!...
Old 05-25-2023, 09:38 AM

If you have any bowhunters in your group, you can potentially take advantage of the overlap of the overlap of the Archery Moose (over-the-counter) tag and the general whitetail season in 523, from September 17 to September 23.

That way the rifle hunters can pursue deer while the archers pursue moose, and you can 999 your moose tag for next year.

(This is based on the dates from last years' regulations - you'll need to check this years' to be 100% certain).
Old 05-25-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
If you have any bowhunters in your group, you can potentially take advantage of the overlap of the overlap of the Archery Moose (over-the-counter) tag and the general whitetail season in 523, from September 17 to September 23.

That way the rifle hunters can pursue deer while the archers pursue moose, and you can 999 your moose tag for next year.

(This is based on the dates from last years' regulations - you'll need to check this years' to be 100% certain).
Thank You. One of our guys is a bowhunter. Will keep that into consideration...
Old 05-25-2023, 07:21 PM

As posted earlier, the Sentinel Hub imagery is your best bet. Regardless what it shows, I wouldn’t let the fire deter me from applying if I was due to get drawn.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:24 AM

Burn area are amazing ungulate magnet. It depends on how hot it burnt, I've seen burnt area rebounding with new growth and wildlife within weeks. Personally I would go, even if the game is not in the burn yet, just hunt around it.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
Burn area are amazing ungulate magnet. It depends on how hot it burnt, I've seen burnt area rebounding with new growth and wildlife within weeks. Personally I would go, even if the game is not in the burn yet, just hunt around it.
Large scale fire bad small burns good. If the burn results in a tangled mess they are also a negative. Burns make it easier to see game for most hunters though

Mature mixed forest is far more valuable and takes much longer to develop

There is a number of burns in the area I hunt and they are basically dead zones compared to the bush. But every road hunter cruses them or guys set up and glass them. Definitely high pressure points

I have shot far more game out of mature timber than burns, cut lines, cut blocks or any form of large openings combined. I think outside of Alpine and prairie I could count how many animals on one hand

But I hear hunters get excited about burns all the time so your opinion is not alone
Old 05-26-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Large scale fire bad small burns good. If the burn results in a tangled mess they are also a negative. Burns make it easier to see game for most hunters though

Mature mixed forest is far more valuable and takes much longer to develop

There is a number of burns in the area I hunt and they are basically dead zones compared to the bush. But every road hunter cruses them or guys set up and glass them. Definitely high pressure points

I have shot far more game out of mature timber than burns, cut lines, cut blocks or any form of large openings combined. I think outside of Alpine and prairie I could count how many animals on one hand

But I hear hunters get excited about burns all the time so your opinion is not alone
That's what I meant by it depend how hot it burnt, if it burnt too hot, the ground can't regenerate for years. I've been hunting a very large burn for 10 yrs, we started hunting it 2 months after it burnt and it's been an amazing area since year 1, we see tons of game, there's a fair amount of deer and elk in there now, before the fire it was only bear and moose.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
That's what I meant by it depend how hot it burnt, if it burnt too hot, the ground can't regenerate for years. I've been hunting a very large burn for 10 yrs, we started hunting it 2 months after it burnt and it's been an amazing area since year 1, we see tons of game, there's a fair amount of deer and elk in there now, before the fire it was only bear and moose.
Like I said easier to see plays a roll
Old 05-29-2023, 04:12 PM

I know of a couple families that lost barns and other structures and livestock but saved their homes in the Harmon Valley area. So sad.

The Wildfire Alberta app shows an outline of the fire area from this fire. This one covers a large perimeter area...120 000 hectares last update I seen...labelled as Fire # SWF-068-2023.

Best of luck to you !!
Old 05-29-2023, 04:56 PM

FYI, Just heard with the strong winds, the fire has flared up again a few miles east and another spot south of the Harmon Valley Fire Hall.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
FYI, Just heard with the strong winds, the fire has flared up again a few miles east and another spot south of the Harmon Valley Fire Hall.
Damn! Not good for us.

Travelling there tomorrow on another issue...will check things out first hand.
Man it has been a rough one so far up there...

I also know some folks that lost everything, and many that lost outbuildings/machinery but the firefighters were able to save the dwelling house.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:50 PM

Just not good at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Damn! Not good for us.

Travelling there tomorrow on another issue...will check things out first hand.
Man it has been a rough one so far up there...

I also know some folks that lost everything, and many that lost outbuildings/machinery but the firefighters were able to save the dwelling house.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:32 AM

Just returned from hunting camp. After dealing with another issue, we were able to explore as much as we could on the areas we hunt. Unfortunately, we could not use ATVs.

Looks like the "Hot" area was Northeast of our hunting grounds. Lots of old and dirty bush in that area. The areas closer to where we hunt were affected, but many were at the fringe of the fire line, so not as "hot". Green grass is already about 1 foot tall in those areas.

Seen two elk, several mule and whitetail deer feeding in the low density burns. Few mule deer bedding down in the new vegetation. Didn't see any moose.

When we were near the power line, ATCO had several crews replacing the large power poles. Fire went through the line, and it is now all green.

When ran into another crew operating green vehicles with emergency red lights. Turns out it was a crew for the US Forest Services from Montana. We had a very good and productive conversation with their manager, and an Alberta Forestry supervisor. They pretty well confirmed what I have described earlier in this post. I thanked the US firefighters for their assistance to Alberta, and of course our guys for doing an excellent job!

We have a couple of guys lined up with the appropriate priorities for the bull moose draw, and a decision was made to go for it.

Thanx for all the other info provided...
Old 06-02-2023, 09:08 AM

Aerial
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 06-02-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Aerial
Hey thanx for the vocabulary lesson...very much appreciated and duly noted!...
Old 06-03-2023, 12:16 PM

^ You're welcome buddy
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker