Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2023, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Well I had the Rangers going all the way. That Trouba hit on Meier was old school hockey for 2 seconds. Rangers had zero chemistry but on paper all the talent one could ask for. Another donation to the office hockey pool.
Yup they looked good on paper but then so did the Flamers, team chemistry is everything.
When Trouba is on the ice everyone has to keep their head up, look down in your feet for the puck for 1 second and boom the truck hit's you, his shoulder hit him high but Meiers was also bent over a bit, no doubt the department of player safety will be looking at it.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
That hit was big, neither a fan of either team but it’s a dangerous hit and should be suspended. Trouba a repeat offender on that style of hit
if you come wheelin in across blue line you better keep your head up and have a look. I'd have Trouba on my team any day.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
if you come wheelin in across blue line you better keep your head up and have a look. I'd have Trouba on my team any day.
No doubt! How many times have you heard to keep your head up? ESPECIALLY when your coming across the oppositions blue line. I coach Pee-Wee hockey and we drill that into those kids heads constantly..

Scott Stevens made a career out of handing out "reminders"

On the SportsNet 4K feed this morning on NHL in 30, they showed highlights from game 7 of the subway series, a quick mention of a couple other Eastern Conference teams and the last 15 min was ALL about the Leaves.. Not ONE mention of the other Canadian team still in it or any of the Western Conference teams still in.

And yet they just cant figure out why we hate the Leaves, TSN, SportsNet and CBC, at least why me and everyone I know hates them.

GO PANTHERS!!!

Here's hopin The Panthers can send em packin, good riddance!
Old 05-02-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
110% agree. The game of hockey includes body checking and that check was text-book (led with shoulder, elbow down, feet grounded, target had possession of puck, it was 2-strides and boom). Player getting hit has to be equally accountable, keep your head-up.

I didn't see any reaction from the NJD bench refs didn't even review play so I would suggest the majority would also agree.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
110% agree. The game of hockey includes body checking and that check was text-book (led with shoulder, elbow down, feet grounded, target had possession of puck, it was 2-strides and boom). Player getting hit has to be equally accountable, keep your head-up.

I didn't see any reaction from the NJD bench refs didn't even review play so I would suggest the majority would also agree.
Some feel "hitting too hard" should be a penalty and "hitting really hard" worthy of a suspension.
Old 05-02-2023, 02:07 PM

Love my Oilers & Skinny but Seattle & New Jersey are on a mission and their goaltending is dynamite
Old 05-02-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
No doubt! How many times have you heard to keep your head up? ESPECIALLY when your coming across the oppositions blue line. I coach Pee-Wee hockey and we drill that into those kids heads constantly..

Scott Stevens made a career out of handing out "reminders"

On the SportsNet 4K feed this morning on NHL in 30, they showed highlights from game 7 of the subway series, a quick mention of a couple other Eastern Conference teams and the last 15 min was ALL about the Leaves.. Not ONE mention of the other Canadian team still in it or any of the Western Conference teams still in.

And yet they just cant figure out why we hate the Leaves, TSN, SportsNet and CBC, at least why me and everyone I know hates them.

GO PANTHERS!!!

Here's hopin The Panthers can send em packin, good riddance!
>>
Man, that guy was a hunter and all had to be wary. Ask Lindros and who else was it, Paul Kariya? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C57NpdhJkUU
I agree one has to keep your head up yet some players were always looking for that "train tracks' hit.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
That hit was big, neither a fan of either team but it’s a dangerous hit and should be suspended. Trouba a repeat offender on that style of hit

Incorrect. Big hit but textbook.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:56 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Never liked Lindros so when Stevens freight trained him I was over the top!

Neutral zone beware, luv the big hits!

Keep them coming boy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-02-2023, 05:19 PM

Florida ain’t gonna win from the box, that’s for sure.

Edit: Leafs power play looks pretty solid there.

Last edited by fishnguy; 05-02-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:46 PM

Samsonov is coming up with some big saves there! But eventually they’ll score if Leafs continue to be dominated like that.

Florida seems to be doing the same thing they did with Boston - take the puck away (or back) and go create a scoring chance.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Never liked Lindros so when Stevens freight trained him I was over the top!

Neutral zone beware, luv the big hits!

Keep them coming boy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about the Stevens' hit on Kariya that pretty well ended his career? He was never the same after that.

Mind you, there were no concussion protocol back then, as most of us old timers know.

Stevens would be great on any team that didn't him.

Hockey is hockey...nature of the beast...
Old 05-02-2023, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
How about the Stevens' hit on Kariya that pretty well ended his career?
This is correct.

Lindros took some biggies. Kasparaitis knocked him out once good as well. But he himself delivered some doozies too. Had it coming sort of thing.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:37 PM

That was nice goal by Toronto. 2-2.

Edit: Yep, take the puck, create a scoring chance and, in this case, score. 3-2.

Last edited by fishnguy; 05-02-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:46 PM

And the leafs drop game 1

Old 05-02-2023, 07:47 PM

^ That was a good game though. I am expecting Florida to move on to the next round. Bob had a good game there in the net. Hope he sticks to to it.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:47 PM

And the Kraken exploded for 4 in the 1st against Dallas up 4 - 2

Old 05-02-2023, 08:48 PM

Man I get sick of listening to Craig Simpson. Dudes gag worthy and as vanilla blah as they come. Rather listen to cats mating.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:50 PM

Go Panthers go!! I always enjoy watching the Leafs lose....and it's even more gratifying in front of their fans! A sweep would be the icing on the cake but I think Tarantah might win a game or two.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:09 PM

1st game back in a spell. Pavelski- 4 goals and it's tied at 4. Crazy
Old 05-02-2023, 10:48 PM

^ Crazy how things work out. Not watching the game, but I thought Dallas was done when I saw 4-2 in the third.

When I was watching the Leafs being beat by Florida on ESPN earlier, during the intermission the dudes were discussing how Pavelski is going to be a difference maker in this game. They probably cannot get full of themselves now over the prediction, lol.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:59 PM

Guess Joe couldn't win it for them. Seattle again folks.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:00 PM

^ Haha. True. Got to watch the last five or so minutes. I think Seattle can pull it off.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:09 PM

I think they can pull it off as well. They're a good team on a roll with a hot-rock solid goaltender in Grubauer. Kraken in 6. Love the playoffs!
Old 05-03-2023, 12:24 AM

^ I’d have to agree on all counts. We will see how it plays out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Freaking Vassilevsly, man. I really thought he would pull it together, man. Quite disappointing. And I am not even an “anti-Leafs” guy. Haven’t watched today’s game, but watching the previous one, I just knew the Leafs were going to score in the OT ones they get the pack. Lame, man. And I thought Tampa did very well last game: good speed (especially given the age they have on the other guys), excellent possession, good chances; staying out of the box would help, but what are you gonna do. If only the guy could stop the puck. I would not discount them yet, but…
Quote:
Where they are now is mostly on Vassilevski, imo.
A few days ago, as partially quoted above, I commented on Tampa and particularly Vasilevskiy being almost solely responsible for their loss to Toronto. While this is still true, in my opinion, I listened to his interview and read a few things since (I can now spell his name correctly, lol). Well, the guy is a machine. His record when facing elimination up until the last game was 5-1 with 1 shutout and .944 save percentage, 1.6 gaa. He also played 217 games in the regular season in the past 4 seasons, as well 77 more in playoffs in the same period of time (I believe he started every game for Tampa in the playoffs in the past… who knows how many years). That’s extremely impressive, likely far away from any other active goaltender, and especially given his record over that span of time, including 2 Cups, Conn Smythe, Vezina (was Vezina before that? Regardless, he was a finalist for it for 4 or 5 straight seasons).

In the interview, he didn’t say much, but the idea was that after the first 35 or so games this past season his body didn't agree with him anymore and a few small injuries came back all at the same time, but he kept pushing himself and here we are. He said he thought he was a workhorse and could play as many games as he wanted forever, basically, and for the first time in his career he realized that this might not be the case and he should listen to his body more often and, more importantly, pay attention and take care. The guy is 28 (?), so hopefully this was something for him to learn from and move on to a better season and post next time around.

Not really sure what the point of the post is… Perhaps, it is easy to “coach” (whatever it is we are doing here sometimes beyond cheering and otherwise) from a somewhat comfortable couch without immediately taking other factors into consideration. Something like that. I knew all those things about the guy (exact stats aside), but I never considered it in my recent “assessment”.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>
Man, that guy was a hunter and all had to be wary.
Totally, you could see him floating around his own end just looking for that perfect opportunity. Like a shark looking for prey. It was a thing of beauty as long as he wasn't laying out someone off your team, then he should be kicked out of the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
How about the Stevens' hit on Kariya that pretty well ended his career? He was never the same after that.
I think there's a laundry list somewhere of people that weren't the same after one of his legendary hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
And the leafs drop game 1
WHOOOO!!! GO PANTHERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post
Go Panthers go!! I always enjoy watching the Leafs lose....and it's even more gratifying in front of their fans! A sweep would be the icing on the cake but I think Tarantah might win a game or two.
I think they will bounce back and be just fine (I REALLY hope I'm wrong) Just callin em as I see em..

As funny as it sounds game 2 is a must win for Toranna, they cant go back to The Sunshine State down 0-2, that could put them in BIG trouble, REAL quick. So of coarse that's what I'm hoping for. GO PANTHERS!!!

Quote:
I think Seattle can pull it off.
The Kraken have this series, but it will take them 7 games to do it.

Oilers in 6

Kraken in 7

Carolina in 5

And Leaves in 6 (cause they just cant win a game 7, EVER) And I've never wanted to be more wrong, and I really, REALLY hope I am! GO PANTHERS!!!

What's with all the rumbling about Calgary's owner wanting out now? Heard he want out wholesale? Could it be just because of the bidding going on in Ottawa him just saying "I'll sell too for the right price" or is there something more sinister to it? I legit hope it not something more, with that arena deal that can fall apart with The Flames owner that wouldn't be good for the Flames long term survival, not good..

Last edited by does it ALL outdoors; 05-03-2023 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:43 AM

^ I think it will be Florida in 6, haha. I don’t think Leafs have it together and Florida is more… “motivated”.

Last edited by fishnguy; 05-03-2023 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:58 PM

Devils with one shot on goal in the entire first period of game 1. Hurricanes had 10 and 2 goals.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:37 PM

3 shots in a row off the goal post on Carolina power play, lol.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Good win for Vegas

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...