Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 10:05 AM

Default Alberta residents using Outfitters

Does anyone know if Alberta residents can still buy a hunt from Alberta Outfitters.

Last edited by roper1; 03-30-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:37 AM

Perfect timing for your question as I started making inquiries regarding this yesterday

For 2023 yes but for 2024 it’s unknown if it will still be an option

I am looking into options for a pronghorn hunt for my brother(BC resident)and I for 2024 with Alberta possibly being an option. The above is the response from an Alberta outfitter gave me regarding guiding Alberta residents. He mentioned that there is rumors that there will be some kind of option for residents but nothing official

We would prefer to keep our money in Canada ourselves but may have to go south if rules exclude Alberta residents from going on a guided hunt under an allocated tag

I could respect laws preventing residents buying allocated outfitter tags for DIY hunts but if hiring an outfitter it should be completely legal

Right now I am starting to research non draw options in the US just in case
Old 03-25-2023, 10:46 AM

Yes just talking with an Outfitter also I thought it was only for 2 years but it sounds like it's in operation again this year good news.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:39 PM

Said screw it and pulled the pin on a September pronghorn hunt for my brother and I
Old 03-25-2023, 04:17 PM

Nice, I'm due to draw next year, My fourth and last hunt.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Nice, I'm due to draw next year, My fourth and last hunt.
This was because my brother and I decided to do a hunt together in memory of our mother passing or I would have just waited to be drawn. Pronghorn was our choice because it was an affordable hunt we could do together for a species we don’t normally hunt. My brother wanted to stay in North America and wanted to be able to bring the meat home

I am a long ways off for a rifle draw and a few years from archery so it’s something I will have to wait a while for to go DIY. So it seemed like our best option considering we can cover a fair number of other species hosting each other in BC and Alberta if we choose

Should be a good time
Old 03-30-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
This was because my brother and I decided to do a hunt together in memory of our mother passing or I would have just waited to be drawn. Pronghorn was our choice because it was an affordable hunt we could do together for a species we don’t normally hunt. My brother wanted to stay in North America and wanted to be able to bring the meat home

I am a long ways off for a rifle draw and a few years from archery so it’s something I will have to wait a while for to go DIY. So it seemed like our best option considering we can cover a fair number of other species hosting each other in BC and Alberta if we choose

Should be a good time
If you can, keep us informed.

Im priority 19. I have never shot one.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:57 AM

Just to make sure I'm understanding what I'm reading so as a Alberta resident we can purchase a hunt thru an outfitter rather than waiting the many years to get drawn?
Old 03-30-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
Just to make sure I'm understanding what I'm reading so as a Alberta resident we can purchase a hunt thru an outfitter rather than waiting the many years to get drawn?
Presently yes

I actually found the old rules strange compared to other areas

Why should it matter if it’s a resident or a non resident hunting with an outfitter using the allocation? Really the number of Allocations doesn’t change so no harm to conservation
Old 03-30-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Will do
Old 03-30-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Presently yes

I actually found the old rules strange compared to other areas

Why should it matter if it’s a resident or a non resident hunting with an outfitter using the allocation? Really the number of Allocations doesn’t change so no harm to conservation
Before all this covid started, there are different allocations non-resident alien for anyone outside of Canada ,non-resident Canadian for anyone outside of Alberta and residence not sure what they're doing now as the last 2 years Outfitters could sell allocations to Alberta residence,
Old 03-30-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Before all this covid started, there are different allocations non-resident alien for anyone outside of Canada ,non-resident Canadian for anyone outside of Alberta and residence not sure what they're doing now as the last 2 years Outfitters could sell allocations to Alberta residence,
Maybe I miss understood the past rules but I thought you couldn’t use the outfitters allocation in the past if you were a resident but could hire a outfitter if you drew a tag

I got the same impression from the 2 outfits I spoke to when I was first inquiring about booking for 2024

I am no expert on this so I could be wrong
Old 03-30-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Maybe I miss understood the past rules but I thought you couldn’t use the outfitters allocation in the past if you were a resident but could hire a outfitter if you drew a tag

I got the same impression from the 2 outfits I spoke to when I was first inquiring about booking for 2024

You are correct
Old 03-30-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Yes that's how it used to be but the last 3 years they're letting Outfitters sell their tags to residents
Old 03-30-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:

I’m sure you could draw on a 19. I drew just a few years ago on a lot less.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:36 PM

Outfitter Allocations were created to bring in money from OUTSIDE of Alberta.

This was the number one reason.

It is simply wrong for these allocations to be used by residents.
I get what happened with Covid and will hold my tongue as I do for much else with that "pandemic".

The pandemic is over. The use of these allocations by residents must also end.

Number one reason, abuse by residents if this Covid concession continues.
Buy an allocation and use it year after year after year.
Hunt Pronghorns every year, pay the gov a couple hundred bucks.
Hunt Antlered Mule deer every year, same price.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-30-2023, 05:54 PM

WB I’m sure if I was using an outfitter it would cost significantly more than a few hundred bucks. So it’s fair for an American to come up here and hunt pronghorn every year but any resident has to wait approximately 13 years? I say if you can afford an outfitter and want to go I don’t see anything wrong with it as the allocation and tag are going to be used anyhow, it might as be a Albertan.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’m sure you could draw on a 19. I drew just a few years ago on a lot less.
Oh for sure

It's just that I know nothing about pronghorns or where to go or what to do.

Hiring a guide seems like a smart thing for me.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:12 PM

^ You are good people. I am sure there are a dozen or more guys from south of the province who would be willing to help and gladly so.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Outfitter Allocations were created to bring in money from OUTSIDE of Alberta.

This was the number one reason.

It is simply wrong for these allocations to be used by residents.
I get what happened with Covid and will hold my tongue as I do for much else with that "pandemic".

The pandemic is over. The use of these allocations by residents must also end.

Number one reason, abuse by residents if this Covid concession continues.
Buy an allocation and use it year after year after year.
Hunt Pronghorns every year, pay the gov a couple hundred bucks.
Hunt Antlered Mule deer every year, same price.
You are entitled to your opinion. Between my brother(BC resident) and I we will be investing 12k into Alberta rather than taking it south of the border.

A lot more the a couple hundred bucks

I don’t agree with residents just buying the allocation but if it’s pay for the full service resident, non resident or non resident alien should not matter

Yes I would prefer to do this hunt DIY as I have every hunt in my life but that was not an option. My brother has zero priority and would likely never have enough priority for us to share a pronghorn hunt in Canada before we are crippled old men

Don’t care if you like it or not as this hunt is for my brother and I to share in memory of our mother that past. Of all the things that are important about this hunt your opinion of it is not one of them
Old 03-30-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Oh for sure

It's just that I know nothing about pronghorns or where to go or what to do.

Hiring a guide seems like a smart thing for me.
I don’t know too much about Antelope but I’d be willing to help you out next year. This year I’m helping someone get their first Antelope.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
i don’t know too much about antelope but i’d be willing to help you out next year. This year i’m helping someone get their first antelope.
👍👍👍
Old 03-30-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
WB I’m sure if I was using an outfitter it would cost significantly more than a few hundred bucks. So it’s fair for an American to come up here and hunt pronghorn every year but any resident has to wait approximately 13 years? I say if you can afford an outfitter and want to go I don’t see anything wrong with it as the allocation and tag are going to be used anyhow, it might as be a Albertan.
If a resident has to wait 13 years for a tag (any tag) then the number of outfitter allocations (no matter who uses it) and nonresident licenses for that animal in that wmu should be reduced to a number just slightly above zero.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
If a resident has to wait 13 years for a tag (any tag) then the number of outfitter allocations (no matter who uses it) and nonresident licenses for that animal in that wmu should be reduced to a number just slightly above zero.
This is my thinking exactly have had a few heated discussions with a couple of my Outfitter buddies on this very subject
Old 03-31-2023, 07:43 AM

By allowing residents to purchase tags from outfitters, they are leading the way for hunting for the wealthy to take over. It basically establishes a two tier system for resident hunting. Selling a tag to a resident brings no money into the province, and provides no additional revenue to local Alberta businesses. But with the opportunity to make more profit, the outfitters will be pushing for even more allocations.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
By allowing residents to purchase tags from outfitters, they are leading the way for hunting for the wealthy to take over. It basically establishes a two tier system for resident hunting. Selling a tag to a resident brings no money into the province, and provides no additional revenue to local Alberta businesses. But with the opportunity to make more profit, the outfitters will be pushing for even more allocations.
I don't see this as a permanent thing they did it to help the Outfitters out during covid, I do not see a ton of Alberta residents paying for hunts. technically the Outfitters do not have to sell them tags if they don't want to I would not want resident Hunters coming into my outfitting area after I sold them a tag I don't see it as a big issue.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I don't see this as a permanent thing they did it to help the Outfitters out during covid, I do not see a ton of Alberta residents paying for hunts. technically the Outfitters do not have to sell them tags if they don't want to I would not want resident Hunters coming into my outfitting area after I sold them a tag I don't see it as a big issue.
Covid is over, yet this remains. If they can flip a tag for a profit, it creates a new market, so you can be sure that some outfitters will try and cash in on the new opportunity to make a profit, by pushing for more allocations. And there are wealthy people that will buy the tags if they can.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If it’s just purchasing a tag I get it but if it is hiring the guide well getting the tag it should not matter because it is still investing into the economy.

So you would rather an Alberta resident take their money to the US than hiring an outfitter in Alberta?

In the situation of my brother and I it’s 6k from him as a BC resident and another 6k from me not including tax. If it was not for present rules we would be taking our money to Wyoming or Montana. If it was not possible for both of us to hunt in Alberta neither of us would be booking the hunt

We could have paid less in the US but preferred to support a Canadian outfitter when the species is available here

We encourage everyone to buy local and invest in Alberta businesses any other time

What other provinces ban residents from hunting with an outfitter under their allocation?
Old 03-31-2023, 08:09 AM

I can also tell you both outfitters would not sell just a tag to a resident. As soon as I opened the conversation mentioning I was an Alberta resident they made that clear

Both mentioned they were contacted by residents inquiring about this since the law changes and were in opposition to it. The one outfitter went on about a 20min rant on how he was opposed to just allocations being sold to residents without hiring the outfitter

Kinda bad for their business
Old 03-31-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I can also tell you both outfitters would not sell just a tag to a resident. As soon as I opened the conversation mentioning I was an Alberta resident they made that clear

Both mentioned they were contacted by residents inquiring about this since the law changes and were in opposition to it. The one outfitter went on about a 20min rant on how he was opposed to just allocations being sold to residents without hiring the outfitter

Kinda bad for their business
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the rule was changed for Alberta residents to buy just a tag they have to use the Outfitters services with the tag