Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-09-2023, 02:08 PM

Default Youth Turkey Hunt

Based off current draw stats I have enough points to draw my Turkey tag for May 2024. My son turns 10 April 2024 and I’m 99% sure he can buy a partner license at 10 and shoot the turkey.

From everyone who’s done this hunt is it feasible to put a 10 year old on a turkey in 5-7 days of hunting? He can hike and shoots a 410 right now so I know if he can get it done it’s just getting him the opportunity. I’m planning on picking up a youth model 20 gauge for him to shoot.

I guess the overall question is am I biting off more than I can chew with a 10 year old? I’ve never hunted turkeys before. He’s been on deer, bear, moose and elk hunts with me. So he knows it can be tough slugging.
Old 04-09-2023, 03:27 PM

Go to bc for a weekend and buy over the counter tags don’t worry about the draw.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Go to bc for a weekend and buy over the counter tags don’t worry about the draw.

Yeah logistically that makes sense. But I have 15 or 16 years into the draw. The man who convinced me to start applying for this draw passed away a few years ago. He had shot a couple and loved the turkey hunt. My son coming of age and being able to fill this tag means a lot to me.

Last edited by THEBUGLER; 04-09-2023 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:25 AM

He will be fine, learn to call, scout for permission and it should be a fantastic hunt.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:32 AM

Honestly your the only one who can answer that, my oldest at 10 would out walk and hike my hunting partners my middle 10 year old wouldn't make it 100 yards lol, each kid is different.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:19 PM

If u get drawn. Gimme a PM. Me and a good buddy are teachers and we take kids hunting all the time.

We’ll get you on a bird.

Make sure he is safe safe safe safe…… muzzle control and all other safety stuff

One error… and we walk.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-11-2023, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
If u get drawn. Gimme a PM. Me and a good buddy are teachers and we take kids hunting all the time.

We’ll get you on a bird.

One error… and we walk.
One error and you walk…? I would hope that a teacher that takes kids hunting all the time would have some patience and use a mistake as a learning opportunity. That’s a lot of pressure on a child and first time hunter, knowing that if they make one mistake their mentor will abandon them.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:40 PM

I completely disagree. Once is to many. I teach the pal course, my 14 year old nephew had a muzzle control issue deer hunting. Opening day was done drove past a 140 wt 80 yards from the fence were we had permission. Drove him home and his season was done. Started over at the range with acts prove and field walking with a empty gun. Kids make mistakes yes thats life. With firearms there is no room for mistakes. Want to tell a critically wounded persons family or dead persons widow. Well it was only the 2nd, 3rd, fourth time he pointed the muzzle at him...
Just my 2 cents
Old 04-12-2023, 04:53 AM

One time is to manny. As for what gun my son when 12 partnered on my tag that was the earliest age then, 870 wing master 12 gage turkey load.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:21 AM

Smile says it all. A friend was a big part in helping make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

We’ll get you on a bird.

One error… and we walk.
I get that. I have to be in muzzle control of the gun with him at all times. We’ve worked on lots of safe gun handling. But I would still pack the gun until it was time to set up. I plan on using sticks or a field pod for him to shoot off of.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post

Smile says it all. A friend was a big part in helping make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So freaking awesome!
Old 04-12-2023, 09:32 AM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBUGLER View Post
I get that. I have to be in muzzle control of the gun with him at all times. We’ve worked on lots of safe gun handling. But I would still pack the gun until it was time to set up. I plan on using sticks or a field pod for him to shoot off of.
I appreciate your understanding.

Over the years I’m certain that I’ve used up a few of my nine or so lives with close calls….. and I just don’t want to expose myself to that type of risk for what amounts to random strangers from the Interweb.

Hunting with kids that I don’t know is a total gamble.

To the ‘what kind of teacher are you’ crowd, it’s simple. This isn’t a classroom and there’s been no eraser invented for a gunshot wound.

I raised 5 kids around guns, and I’ve taken and trained lots more. I think it’s vital for kids to be taught there’s situations in life where you need to just be spot on with your habit/behaviors.

Why so picky?….. buck/turkey fever, or bear encounter, or slippery conditions can introduce a tonne of wildly huge pressures/influences that can influence peoples behaviors in catastrophic ways.

Gun safety should be as spot on a dependable set of habits as putting on your pants in the morning in the dark.

THEN when buck fever hits….. that gobbler starts coming in…. You don’t freak out and do something unsafe. You can enjoy the adrenaline and be master of a unique intense experience.

I’ve had bears come into guys’s calls three times now…. That’s an intense experience.

Anyways….. like is said shoot me a pm next year if you like.

My stance is my stance and I don’t see it as unreasonable.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-12-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas N View Post
One error and you walk…? I would hope that a teacher that takes kids hunting all the time would have some patience and use a mistake as a learning opportunity. That’s a lot of pressure on a child and first time hunter, knowing that if they make one mistake their mentor will abandon them.
I have dealt with many new hunters and many, many new shooters at the range, smaller violations may get a warning, but ANY major safety violation, and your day is over. The stakes are far too high to overlook major safety violations. Someone being shot is a tragedy, not a learning opportunity.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have dealt with many new hunters and many, many new shooters at the range, smaller violations may get a warning, but ANY major safety violation, and your day is over. The stakes are far too high to overlook major safety violations. Someone being shot is a tragedy, not a learning opportunity.
I am aligned with that. Maybe just wording but I see a difference between “one error” and a major safety violation. As teachers, coaches, and mentors it’s our job to ensure errors are used as teaching moments and major violations just don’t happen. I’ve taken out many young or otherwise first time hunters and always did what I need to prevent near misses- particularly towards muzzle control.

I’ve also been through three apprenticeships myself and apprenticed/coached countless others and could not imagine walking away from a student for one error.