Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2023, 04:00 PM

Default Weber Smokey Mountain Or Kettle BBQ

Well, as you probably have read in my other post, I am looking at upgrading my Mini chief smoker. I do not need a big unit as I will be the only one eating from it. I am exploring all the options out there.
I am looking at the 18" Weber Smokey Mountain and 18" Weber Kettle.
For those that know about smoking with charcoal what are your opinions on these units?
I am trying to decide on either a vertical electric/propane or charcoal.
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:07 PM

For ease of use I'd go electric, but that's just my personal opinion.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:05 PM

I started with a propane cabinet smoker and have a WSM now. Charcoal cooking is way better than propane. Takes a little more work but I love it. Once you get it dialed in it’s pretty much set and forget. Bought a Masterbuilt charcoal smoker on sale in the fall from Wal-Mart. Only used it a handful of times but it works pretty good. It’s like a cross between a pellet grill and a charcoal smoker. Has a charcoal chute and a digital fan controller. My next toy will be a Drumbo. Hand built charcoal drum smoker made in Wainwright. Can even get custom paint jobs.

https://drumbosmoker.com/
Old 03-29-2023, 09:12 PM

I've had a Smokey Mountain Cooker since 2009, it's pretty easy to learn for to get good BBQ results. You can take three middle section out and grill on it too, it's not meant for that but it works.

I have a Weber kettle too though, it's for grilling, not smoking/BBQ. I wouldn't bother trying to smoke on it, but it grills a good steak.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:05 AM

I have had both for 7 or 8 years. They both do a great job and have there purpose. There is nothing like cooking with charcoal but it does take some effort. The kettle is great for a roast, ham, or whole chicken. Push the charcoal to both sides(indirect cooking), a couple of chunks of wood, place the meat in the middle and slow cook. You wiil be amazed at the finished product.

Last edited by javlin101; 03-30-2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:16 AM

If you are mostly smoking/indirect cooking, get the WSM. If you are mostly grilling / higher heat cooking like for steaks, then get the kettle. Both can smoke or grill, but one is better than the other for each purpose.

I have the Weber smokey mountain myself, 18" - I've grilled steaks and smoked for years on it. I have 2 other bbqs for grilling so I didn't get the kettle.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:25 AM

Buy the WSM and when you want to fast grill steaks, take out the middle section and it becomes the kettle style.

I only use charcoal and never tried the electric. Takes a bit to get used to it but once you master it, you become the king.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:30 PM

WSM is a great smoker that will last a lifetime. Tons of accessories for it. I love mine, will never get rid of it. Also have a couple 22” Weber kettles. Great as well. Will also last a lifetime. The kettle is very versatile with tons of accessories as well. You can smoke quite easily on a kettle. Snake method, or a slow ‘n sear. Not quite as easy for long smokes as a WSM. I love grilling on the kettle. Bank all the coals to one side, blazing hot. Sear a steak by dropping it on the cool side and spinning the grate until the steak is over the coals. Perfect sear without burnt grill marks. Flip it over to the (now) cool side and spin it again. Nothing tastes better than food cooked on charcoal / wood. If you can’t afford both I’d start with the kettle. Once you decide to get a dedicated smoker pick up the WSM. You can get a rack for the top to hang food in the WSM. Great for sausage, ribs and bacon(hole slabs, not sliced).