Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-20-2023, 08:21 PM

Default Indigenous Nuisance grizzly management in Alberta

Why not encourage our Indigenous hunters to do some grizzly control in key areas?

Last edited by roper1; 03-20-2023 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Why not encourage our Indigenous hunters to do some grizzly control in key areas?
A friend up north West of Grande Prairie had a bunch of bears killing calves on his ranch. He’s tried for two years to get a couple FN “harvesters” to come out and help thin the herd so to speak. Can’t seem to get any to show up….
Old 03-20-2023, 08:42 PM

I don't know of many Native Americans that would hunt griz as they hold them sacred.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:44 PM

Going to have to tread very carefully here, fellas.

I've edited the title to more accurately reflect the intention but these threads tend to go south fast.

Thanks

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-20-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I don't know of many Native Americans that would hunt griz as they hold them sacred.
That depends on the band beliefs regarding bears vary

But to the original question it’s not the answer
Old 03-20-2023, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noring1 View Post
A friend up north West of Grande Prairie had a bunch of bears killing calves on his ranch. He’s tried for two years to get a couple FN “harvesters” to come out and help thin the herd so to speak. Can’t seem to get any to show up….
Incentive may be needed?
Old 03-20-2023, 09:29 PM

Why not just open a draw season. Who says the native boys arn’t doing it already and can’t keep up with the demand.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:52 PM

^x2
Old 03-20-2023, 10:13 PM

Edit...
That could get took the wrong way...
Old 03-20-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Acquaintance works at a local reserve. They had a case where a black bear got into a house and terrified the family, who hid in a bed room. No one was willing to do the obvious, because it might be somebody's ancestor and it would reflect poorly on the assassin . F& W got the call, no end of bear problems on that reserve.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-20-2023, 11:54 PM

Default Yum grizz

One problem I would see is having to keep the meat as one(native card holder) can chuck the hide but have to keep the protein. Not sure a rotten meat infused grizz would be great table fare.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:10 AM

Not sure why they would do it if no benefit to them.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
One problem I would see is having to keep the meat as one(native card holder) can chuck the hide but have to keep the protein. Not sure a rotten meat infused grizz would be great table fare.
Interior grizzlies diet still consists of a lot more berries and vegetation than meat

I have eaten multiple spring mountain grizzly and they tasted just fine. Just like black bear it all depends on their diet and if you get one that eats a lot of nasty stuff it’s not going to be good

It was very common for us to keep the grizzly meat even though we didn’t have too during BCs grizzly hunt. The only grizzly we refused to eat was a bear my buddy shot that had a well known history of eating black bears. That bear stunk of rotten meat so badly we couldn’t bring ourselves to try it
Old 03-21-2023, 05:51 AM

Well grizzly just sold at the fur auction for 2000$ us so that might be alittle bonus.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:16 AM

Oh it’s happening. Particularly by those who are partial descendants.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:36 AM

Personally, I would not encourage this for two reasons, one, it would remove a key benefit, to reinstate the grizzly hunt here, and two, it would give some people the idea that we should leave all game management to aboriginal hunters.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:39 AM

In my area , some natives have done a good job of helping control bad bears. But not every native wants to. I’ve been told it depends on the clan within the band whether brother bear is sacred or not.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:07 AM

Yes, it is absolutely happening and is the reason we will never see a Grizzly hunt in Alberta again.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
In my area , some natives have done a good job of helping control bad bears. But not every native wants to. I’ve been told it depends on the clan within the band whether brother bear is sacred or not.
Please Gentlemen,

All Animals are Sacred.

Whether or not a Person will or can kill a particular species of Animal is based on Individual circumstance such as Clan, Ceremonial obligations, Spiritual connections, and particularly modern peer pressure.

As with all Traditional actions, modern community views often conflate new perspectives with Old. It is very difficult to firmly hold onto the Old ways.

I've been asked to deal with nuisance animals on Reserves because no one from the Reserve was willing to kill a specific animal.
The concept of "Sacred" is often used by those that simply don't know the Old ways, and are willing to satisfy their New view and desire by making things up.

"We are ***** People, We don't kill Bears, or Beavers, or *****...."
Believe it or not, this is actually most often a NEW perspective, and often promoted by those that don't like killing, pressuring others to not kill, manipulating "Tradition" to achieve a personal desire.

Yes, Anti-hunting sentiment is at work influencing Indigenous tradition too....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-21-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Yes, it is absolutely happening and is the reason we will never see a Grizzly hunt in Alberta again.
Your biggest opposition is not FN you are actually up against highly funded anti hunting(not always opposed to all hunting) organizations. They lobby government non stop, donate to parties for support, and collect money from average people all the way up to celebrities. They are often on an international level when it comes to fundraising. Theses organizations back eachother rather than fight eachother like hunters do

FN are putting little to no effort to oppose the grizzly hunt unless payed to do so by anti hunting groups. Yes there are bands that have been paid for their support but they are a fraction of the opposition

You are highly unlikely to see a grizzly hunt because of how theses groups lobby government and invest major efforts/$ into gaining public support. Kinda hard for hunters to compete when our only defense is that it’s sustainable and we are a smaller voice

BC has FN bans(Taltian is one for sure) supporting the return of the grizzly hunt and hunters are still not making ground
Old 03-21-2023, 08:39 AM

Lets see,bear killing livestock. S-S. Done.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Your biggest opposition is not FN you are actually up against highly funded anti hunting(not always opposed to all hunting) organizations. They lobby government non stop, donate to parties for support, and collect money from average people all the way up to celebrities. They are often on an international level when it comes to fundraising. Theses organizations back eachother rather than fight eachother like hunters do

FN are putting little to no effort to oppose the grizzly hunt unless payed to do so by anti hunting groups. Yes there are bands that have been paid for their support but they are a fraction of the opposition

You are highly unlikely to see a grizzly hunt because of how theses groups lobby government and invest major efforts/$ into gaining public support. Kinda hard for hunters to compete when our only defense is that it’s sustainable and we are a smaller voice

BC has FN bans(Taltian is one for sure) supporting the return of the grizzly hunt and hunters are still not making ground
You don’t understand. Fish and Wildlife use them as a tool to control bear populations. So why would they advocate a season? It’s just one less group to have as an ally in the return of a season.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Please Gentlemen,

All Animals are Sacred.

Whether or not a Person will or can kill a particular species of Animal is based on Individual circumstance such as Clan, Ceremonial obligations, Spiritual connections, and particularly modern peer pressure.

As with all Traditional actions, modern community views often conflate new perspectives with Old. It is very difficult to firmly hold onto the Old ways.

I've been asked to deal with nuisance animals on Reserves because no one from the Reserve was willing to kill a specific animal.
The concept of "Sacred" is often used by those that simply don't know the Old ways, and are willing to satisfy their New view and desire by making things up.

"We are ***** People, We don't kill Bears, or Beavers, or *****...."
Believe it or not, this is actually most often a NEW perspective, and often promoted by those that don't like killing, pressuring others to not kill, manipulating "Tradition" to achieve a personal desire.

Yes, Anti-hunting sentiment is at work influencing Indigenous tradition too....
Most people don’t like “blood” on their hands. It’s the way the world is. Someone else can do the dirty work and I can still have my cake. Or steak as the case may be.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
It’s that easy eh?
Old 03-21-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Incentive may be needed?
Nailed it .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Exactly.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:32 AM

Once a predator learns how to target the easiest prey it will keep coming back. The other issue is it may well become a learned behavior for the rest of the areas bears.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Most people don’t like “blood” on their hands. It’s the way the world is. Someone else can do the dirty work and I can still have my cake. Or steak as the case may be.
Especially the politicians.
First Nations included.

-------------

There in an incredible amount of work being done by First Nations to cement control of Natural Resources. Grizzly Bears are an iconic species that top this list.
Unbeknownst to most, there are International Treaties between hundreds of Nations to establish control of any lethal management of Grizzly Bears. Yellowstone in 2018 was the last battle.

No incentive offered will be effective except to those that are Outcast from their Society. Are these the people you want to attract, to be your minions?

To even offer such would show that you truly do not understand how this works within the Indigenous Community. It would be quite insulting.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-21-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It’s that easy eh?
Some of these bears wear satellite transponders. Been a couple of Park bears tracked and whacked a long ways from home.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-21-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Personally, I would not encourage this for two reasons, one, it would remove a key benefit, to reinstate the grizzly hunt here, and two, it would give some people the idea that we should leave all game management to aboriginal hunters.
This ^

It seems like an immediate solution to pizz poor predator management, and therefore attractive. But our legal industry is obsessed with “precedent” and that is one you do not want to set.