Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-20-2022, 10:43 AM

Camp Cook, suggest you get copy of last years Alberta hunting regulations, real paper copy and take it to your favorite reading room with the fan. You could print copy online but will take a pile of copier ink. I believe new hunters reading regs on that little hand held phone miss half regulations before battery dies.
Old 03-20-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I won't use one but judging by the guys swearing at me when I walk underneath theirs I'd say 15 - 20 feet.
LOL glad I had just swallowed my mouthful of Constantinople before I read your comment or I would have spit it all over the key board.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Camp Cook, suggest you get copy of last years Alberta hunting regulations, real paper copy and take it to your favorite reading room with the fan. You could print copy online but will take a pile of copier ink. I believe new hunters reading regs on that little hand held phone miss half regulations before battery dies.
Very good idea I'll score one or two when I move out there
Old 03-20-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
At $2.00/liter gas/diesel it is going to be awful expensive meat road hunting whitetails.
Hahahah yeah
Old 05-07-2023, 11:09 AM

Well guys I have finally sold my house looks like we are going to be looking at the Wetaskiwin area to move to.

We were bit hard when the housing market crash hit July 13 2022.

We just accepted an offer for more than $350,000 less than our original listing price.

Which brings me to we obviously cannot afford the level of acreage that we were looking at buying before unless we get a mortgage again problem is we are coming out there without jobs so are not eligible for getting a mortgage.

I own/operate a landscaping business now was planning on being mortgage free and starting up the business again out there, my wife is an elementary school teacher plan was her to sub until a full time job came up.

Here is my question does anyone need a hard working physically fit ex HD mechanic that specialized in 3 ton and up truck drivetrain - landscaper - jack of all trades if I had a job I would be eligible to get a mortgage.

I'd appreciate any thoughts - directions as well as any thoughts on hunting around Wetaskiwin.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:20 AM

Wetaskiwin doesn’t have a good reputation for crime. There is a major lack of crown land

I have not spent a lot of time there because not much interests me in that town. Wife had to go there for surgery and the son had a baseball game there in the past is my only first hand experience though

Would not be my choice but everyone has different priorities
Old 05-18-2023, 01:00 PM

Our house is 100% sold now possession date is July 21 so we still have over 2 months to vacate and move in

The Wetaskiwin area is a tough market very few nice homes in our class available and I have been overwhelmed with how many have shared how bad the crime is there

I'm now for the first time this morning looking at the Spruce Grove - Stoney Plains area looks like there are some nicer homes in the area than around Wetaskiwin and I'm assuming far less crime

There is also a lot more options for work up there than Wetaskiwin for both of us she could get a sub teaching position like she is doing here

How far west do you guys have to go to hunt from here and I will need to get a membership at a gun club any recommendations.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:57 PM

spruce grove area is sort of a gateway to the north. Not too far from Whitecourt etc. Lots of crown land up that way.

My in-laws were up that way and housing seemed to be decent.

Better choice than Wetaskiwin.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:19 PM

Are you looking for an acreage or do you want to be in town
Old 05-18-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Are you looking for an acreage or do you want to be in town
Small acreage
Old 05-18-2023, 04:18 PM

West of hwy 22 you will start finding large tracks of public land. Don’t forget there is huge difference in the amount of hunters who hunt private land in Alberta and landowners are more open to it in Alberta than a lot of B.C.. I am not big on private land hunting but know plenty of people who hunt private land within an hour of Edmonton. So if you are willing to knock on enough doors it’s an option too

I also agree Spruce and Stoney are better options
Old 05-18-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
spruce grove area is sort of a gateway to the north. Not too far from Whitecourt etc. Lots of crown land up that way.

My in-laws were up that way and housing seemed to be decent.

Better choice than Wetaskiwin.
There is one house that fits what I am looking for couple acres out buildings it has an accepted offer but is subject to the sale of the buyers home where we have officially sold so could bump if they have a 48 hour clause = buy it immediately or lose it.

Problem is I'm in Chilliwack and can't get out there until next week.

My wife's uncle has 6 quarter sections appr 1/2 way between Grand Prairie and Edmonton he has bee hives and problems with bears.

and an aunt on one quarter section
Old 05-18-2023, 05:15 PM

just talked to my realtor she does this area as well

I need to come out next week and look at houses and make a decision.

Of course the week I need to come out Swoop flights are expensive

Just heard this property by Stony plain is on a cistern it doesn't even have a well I have never heard of that before I'd have to bring in water

I have only hunted private land once here in BC spotted a nice mule deer buck in an alfalfa field banged on the ranch house door old lady answered said my husband used to hunt before he passed away - if you will give me a roast and a few steaks I will give you permission yes she got what she asked for.

As to access my business is landscaping I will barter my services in a freaking heartbeat for access to prime hunting areas...
Old 05-18-2023, 10:25 PM

In my opinion the further you can be from Edmonton the better. I would be looking for an acreage west of stony plain.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
just talked to my realtor she does this area as well

I need to come out next week and look at houses and make a decision.

Of course the week I need to come out Swoop flights are expensive

Just heard this property by Stony plain is on a cistern it doesn't even have a well I have never heard of that before I'd have to bring in water

I have only hunted private land once here in BC spotted a nice mule deer buck in an alfalfa field banged on the ranch house door old lady answered said my husband used to hunt before he passed away - if you will give me a roast and a few steaks I will give you permission yes she got what she asked for.

As to access my business is landscaping I will barter my services in a freaking heartbeat for access to prime hunting areas...

Better read Alberta's hunting regulations real soon.
What you just offered is illegal here.

Welcome to the Rose Hip State.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-18-2023, 10:56 PM

I live in Camrose, basically 30 minutes East of Wetaskiwin, and crime is nowhere near as bad as it is South of Wetaskiwin. Access to private land isn't nearly as hard once you are an hour or so from the large cities, as long as you aren't from the large cities. As has been mentioned, it is illegal to accept any compensation for access for the purpose of hunting, so trading work for access is illegal here.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Wetaskiwin doesn’t have a good reputation for crime. There is a major lack of crown land

I have not spent a lot of time there because not much interests me in that town. Wife had to go there for surgery and the son had a baseball game there in the past is my only first hand experience though

Would not be my choice but everyone has different priorities
Yes Wetaskiwin would be the last place on earth I would want to be. It's a dirty town with a lot of theft as stated.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:04 AM

Have to say thank you for the thoughts on the different areas.

Yes my wife might have a job in Wetaskiwin but the more I hear about the area the less I want to be anywhere near it sky high crime - no crown land - having to ask for permission to private property sucks.

Wife and I just decided the location where we live is far more important than a full time job

I never wanted to be up in the Edmonton area but I could make it work for me our 16 year old son wants to be closer to Lacombe where his brother and nephews are moving to.

We are now open again to not just Wetaskiwin but to between Rocky and Red Deer
Old 05-19-2023, 08:23 AM

Rocky it self would be my choice over the other options you brought forward. I could probably get by living on the edge of Sylvan lake too

But I prefer to stay close to crown land to hunt along with decent fishing. After living in the lower mainland and Calgary in the past I won’t live in the city anymore. Between the higher cost of living in cities and having to travel to enjoy my hobbies it just makes it so I pay more to live somewhere that doesn’t provide what I enjoy. I have also lived in tiny towns in northern B.C. of 1500 people 2 1/2 hrs away from a larger hub and found that was not for me

Personally I find the happy place is towns between 5000 and 15000 people that are within an 1 1/2 from a larger hub. I find theses areas provide reasonable employment, your day to day needs, affordable living, ability to enjoy hobbies without major travel, and for medical or items not available in town you’re within reasonable distance of a major hub

Stay west of hwy 2 if you want reasonable access to public land without driving too far

You really just need to list what is priority to you from most important to least and pick the location that checks off the most things on your list
Old 05-19-2023, 11:04 AM

We had been watching a house that was for sale for months just out of Rocky it was on 7 acres close to town had a barn it sold two days before our house sold so we missed it.

Our favorite area in Alberta is from Rocky to max 60klms west

The town of Rocky does nothing for me though

Last edited by Camp Cook; 05-19-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
We had been watching a house that was for sale for months just out of Rocky it was on 7 acres close to town had a barn it sold two days before our house sold so we missed it.

Our favorite area in Alberta is from Rocky to max 60klms west

The town of Rocky does nothing for me though
Like I said you have to find what fits your personal needs. For me as long as a town has the basics that’s all I need and the recreation in the surrounding area is often the bigger factor. From living in tiny towns in northern B.C. my view on what the town needs to provide really changed as I learned to order things or plan out the odd trip to the city

I would rather live in a town with less available and drive 1 1/2hrs to the city a max of 20 times a year vs travel 1-3hrs 200 times or more a year to hunt, fish and scout and live in a bigger area where I travel less to buy things. I also found it saves me a ton of money doing so

But everyone is different and that’s why you have to figure out what is your priorities

Best of luck in your search
Old 05-27-2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
In desperation of finding a home I finally drove out this last Sunday in a pickup and camper I was prepared to stay for up to 2 weeks to make a deal on a house and get a job.

I didn't have to though the first house I visited on Monday morning was so awesome that I put an offer on it that was accepted.

We will be moving between Rocky Mtn House and Sylvan lake possession date is July 24.

So I am now looking for info around the Rocky Mtn House area and yes I stopped in at the shop in town and picked up a copy of last years regulations.

Old 05-27-2023, 10:10 PM

Very nice congrats
Old 05-27-2023, 11:00 PM

Looks like a pretty sweet pad. So is the big party on the 25th??

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2023, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Looks like a pretty sweet pad. So is the big party on the 25th??
LOL I'll be turning 64 on the 24th I'll probably be having a recovery nap on the 25th...

Old 05-30-2023, 02:40 AM

Thank you Alberta for making our new home in your province one led by common sense rather than economy killing tax grabbing extremists
Old 05-30-2023, 08:15 AM

That looks like a really nice place! Congratulations!

You're going to love that area. IncrediGirl and I would move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't for other commitments.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:45 AM

It will be a different life than you experienced in the lower mainland and better in my opinion

Crown land hunting will be rocky west for the most part. The 300wmu’s are better than the 400’s in my opinion. Road hunting will definitely lower your success rate and find you plenty of other hunters. Try to avoid the popular recreational areas but you can still find pockets in the bush near them. Get into the bush and scout you will find whitetail

Really you just need to get out and explore your new playground.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
It will be a different life than you experienced in the lower mainland and better in my opinion

Crown land hunting will be rocky west for the most part. The 300wmu’s are better than the 400’s in my opinion. Road hunting will definitely lower your success rate and find you plenty of other hunters. Try to avoid the popular recreational areas but you can still find pockets in the bush near them. Get into the bush and scout you will find whitetail

Really you just need to get out and explore your new playground.
Great info thanks

I'm using Google Earth to look over the area we are moving to.

I'm thinking that I need to find an area/quarter section close to home that I can hunt like I have here.

My new "old" neighbor has lived in this area most of his life I'm hoping he has some insight or contacts that will let me access there properties.

I'll bribe him with a deer roast or two or is that illegal to give meat away there as well?
Old 06-01-2023, 02:20 PM

Have to ask...

What is the procedure you use to approach a landowner to hunt their property?