Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2022, 05:59 AM

Default Looking to team up for a hunt this weekend / small game/ upland/ varmint

Hello everyone, I am a beginner hunter and I was wondering if any of you would like to team up for a hunt this weekend. I am mobile and anywhere 100-200km around Calgary would work for me. I am down for upland game as well as other small game/ varmints. I was hunting solo on public land this weekend (Ghost) hoping for rabbits. No luck finding rabbits in WMU 414. That said, I have found a spot with a few upland game birds - Spruce/ Ruffled Grouse. I am 36 and have some safe shooting experience. Feel free to PM me if you're interested. Have a great Tuesday!
Old 12-21-2022, 02:05 PM

Question Mentor

Hi Guys,
New to Alberta hunting, not new to hunting.
Looking for a mentor to help me make sense of the regs, as they are quite different from BC. and any tips tricks or whatever you could offer
Just wanted to get an idea of where I should head to get into some good deer/elk/bear country from Calgary.
I noticed there's lots of private land and WMU's very close to civilization.
I usually Rifle hunt, but want to give my bow another go. I have a capable Tacoma and good boots as well.

Feel free to DM me

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2023, 11:04 AM

Hi all,

New hunter/shooter trying to learn things as an adult, would appreciate anyone who could provide general mentorship on hunting, including what I should be practicing/studying this coming year before November. I'm pretty much a blank slate as I had no hunting experience as a kid and don't know a lot of hunters personally, so I want to be conscious of approaching the sport in a repsonsible way and not doing things that would tick off other hunters.

My main motivation for getting into the sport is the opportunity to cook with game meats, so I'm interested in pretty much everything - large game, small game, upland birds, and waterfowl.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:00 PM

Default Coyote hunting partner in Calgary

Anybody want to go with me or take me coyote hunting somewhere? I know where there are a lot of coyotes on public land, but I have never shot one. Mainly due to never having been coyote hunting or having any idea what I'm doing

Thanks

Max
Old 01-22-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdowncowtown View Post
Hi all,

New hunter/shooter trying to learn things as an adult, would appreciate anyone who could provide general mentorship on hunting, including what I should be practicing/studying this coming year before November. I'm pretty much a blank slate as I had no hunting experience as a kid and don't know a lot of hunters personally, so I want to be conscious of approaching the sport in a repsonsible way......
Learn to shoot. Before you pull the trigger on a living thing, you need to be able shoot accurately and from whatever positions you intend to use when hunting. You won't dragging along a benchrest when you are hunting so use that only for sighting in and load development purposes.

After that, you can go hunting. It's pretty much trial and error. That's what it is all about.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:53 PM

Default Calgary area hunting buddies

Hey all! After having a (imo) pretty successful deer/grouse season I'm now spending some weekends doing rabbit hunting. Still consider myself a newbie, but after getting a few game birds with my recurve this past season, really hoping to get some rabbits... and I just generally really enjoy going into the nature -- always a good hike even if I don't harvest anything! If you are around the Calgary area and want to tag team sometime, hmu
Old 02-02-2023, 01:59 PM

Default Total newb, need partner/mentor for spring overabundant - Vulcan County

Hello everyone and thanks for reading,

So, I haven't been hunting in decades, since I was a kid w my dad. I do a LOT of target shooting with all of my firearms, so I consider myself highly skilled and safe. (edit: highly skilled and safe as a shooter, but completely clueless as a hunter!)

I've been doing my best to research what I need for the upcoming 2023 march-june snow/ross goose season, but to be honest, I have a ton of questions still. The government websites are not super clear and I don't want to take any chances or make any mistakes. Even more concerning to me is that there do seem to be a number of legal places to hunt the VERY plentiful snow geese in my area, but I'm having trouble confirming that hunting is allowed.

Anyways, long story short, I think my best bet is to have an experienced hunter show me the ropes and give me some advice - in person - come March. I live in the Vulcan county area, but I'd also be interested in going to any of the hunting allowed parks areas along the Sheep R. between Okotoks and Black Diamond, even into Blue Rock, if that's of interest to anyone. Don't know what the goose population is like down that way, but I know Vulcan area is thick with geese in spring/fall...

So, if anyone is interested in helping me out, I'd sure appreciate it. I don't know the etiquette around how to ask and what's expected of a newbie like me, so take it easy on me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Belgrimo; 02-02-2023 at 02:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-08-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Learn to shoot. Before you pull the trigger on a living thing, you need to be able shoot accurately and from whatever positions you intend to use when hunting. You won't dragging along a benchrest when you are hunting so use that only for sighting in and load development purposes.
Absolutely agree with you on that - I joined a precision rimfire league so I could get more trigger time from different ranges and positions and work on my fundamentals.

I've also been heading to the AHEIA range for trap shooting to get more shotgun experience.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:05 PM

Default Bear bait

The bears are hungry after a long winter. Use the bait they love. Natures candy for bears —beavers. I have plenty to meet your needs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D8A34EC8-0D8D-42E5-A7F3-4D414EA3DF4B.jpg (29.6 KB, 100 views)
Old 06-14-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I am a senior in good health looking for backcountry elk hunt partner; non drinker pref. I have a wall tent outfit with at least one of everything.

Due to loss of hunting partner I’d like to find another for safety reasons to finish out my hunting career. You must have a quad or sxs and your own tent for sleeping. If you are progressive, commie, woke millennial or vote NDP it won’t work out. Same goes for complainers and those who won’t pull their weight around camp.

Doesn’t matter much if you’re an old hand or a little green but you absolutely must be able to shoot straight. That is an ethical requirement for me.

You’d need to be able to commit 2 wks mid-September plus a couple scouting trips over the summer. I am near Red Deer. If interested send me a pm. I will answer.
Still looking for elk hunting partner. Scouting trips no longer required.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Still looking for elk hunting partner. Scouting trips no longer required.
I wonder why...
Old 06-19-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubz337 View Post
I wonder why...
Old 08-07-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I wonder why...
Why’s that Dubz? Please elaborate!
Old 08-07-2023, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I wonder why...
Hey he is being honest and upfront that will help limit incompatible hunting patterns

I won’t hunt with quads or sxs would likely hike into places he wouldn’t want any part of so I am out. He is also old and likely not able to keep up.

Also he sounds too much like my Dad and I would likely offend him making fun of him

I still respect his post and If I posted looking for a hunting partner my post would likely offend you too
Old 08-07-2023, 04:48 PM

I don't blame him for posting the type of hunting partner he'd prefer. It will eliminate problems in the future. Last summer I dragged my boat to BC while working there on Transmountain. Camp was 20 minutes from the boat launch on Kinbasket Lake.I have a fully rigged boat with modern gear and electronics. Got a ton of comments from lots in camp how they'd love to go fishing if I had room. I enthusiastically said yes to almost everyone inviting them along and even offered that I had all the gear etc and was not concerned with splitting fuel expenses etc as I was going anyways but I politely offered that I had three hard fast rules to fishing in my boat. No drinking, no drugs and no smoking in my boat. Guess how many guests came along on the three sundays I fished? You got it zero! One guy sitting with 4 of us at dinner one evening asked me what kind of a-hole I was that I would not allow drinking and smoking in my boat? I asked him how much $ he had invested in MY boat? He just looked at me, shook his head, got up and left...LOL
Old 08-08-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I asked him how much $ he had invested in MY boat? He just looked at me, shook his head, got up and left...LOL
Exactly. The world is full of entitled people. You want to spend your outdoor time with someone compatible, same goes for me. It's funny how intolerant people can be when they preach to us about being tolerant.

Smoky, I could probably keep up, just don't want to. I have carried out all I am going to carry. It dawned on me after some years that I hunt for enjoyment, peace, good memories and some reasons I can't explain. I can have all that without humping out quarters and sleeping on the ground. So I don't. My SxS wears two mufflers and I don't tear anything up, don't want to be with those that do. We all march to different drummers; that's mine.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I don't blame him for posting the type of hunting partner he'd prefer. It will eliminate problems in the future. Last summer I dragged my boat to BC while working there on Transmountain. Camp was 20 minutes from the boat launch on Kinbasket Lake.I have a fully rigged boat with modern gear and electronics. Got a ton of comments from lots in camp how they'd love to go fishing if I had room. I enthusiastically said yes to almost everyone inviting them along and even offered that I had all the gear etc and was not concerned with splitting fuel expenses etc as I was going anyways but I politely offered that I had three hard fast rules to fishing in my boat. No drinking, no drugs and no smoking in my boat. Guess how many guests came along on the three sundays I fished? You got it zero! One guy sitting with 4 of us at dinner one evening asked me what kind of a-hole I was that I would not allow drinking and smoking in my boat? I asked him how much $ he had invested in MY boat? He just looked at me, shook his head, got up and left...LOL
I don't blame you one bit, when I am out hunting or fishing, I enjoy the fresh air, and am not the least bit interested in having to breathe in someones smoke or put up with someone drinking, or the mess that results from both habits.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Exactly. The world is full of entitled people. You want to spend your outdoor time with someone compatible, same goes for me. It's funny how intolerant people can be when they preach to us about being tolerant.

Smoky, I could probably keep up, just don't want to. I have carried out all I am going to carry. It dawned on me after some years that I hunt for enjoyment, peace, good memories and some reasons I can't explain. I can have all that without humping out quarters and sleeping on the ground. So I don't. My SxS wears two mufflers and I don't tear anything up, don't want to be with those that do. We all march to different drummers; that's mine.
All good and getting out doing how you enjoy to hunt is what part of my post was poking a little fun

Because well it’s just in my nature I can’t help it lol

Good luck in your search
Old 08-08-2023, 08:43 AM

One of the reasons I hunt and fish alone or only with family is because I don't want to smell cigarette or pot smoke or be around people who feel the need to day drink or get hammered every night.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
All good and getting out doing how you enjoy to hunt is what part of my post was poking a little fun

Good luck in your search
Wow that typing job was butchered lol
Old 08-08-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
One of the reasons I hunt and fish alone or only with family is because I don't want to smell cigarette or pot smoke or be around people who feel the need to day drink or get hammered every night.

Or the constant whining.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

Good luck in your search
NP. I was not offended in the slightest.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:55 PM

Here is what I will say. If anyone was of a like mind, and wanted to hunt with someone who possesses more common sense in his small toe than many have in their head, they’d take Rocky7 up on his ad.

If you are old guard around here you will know why.

If you a re newer to AO, they don’t come better.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:06 AM

Hello,

Not really looking for a hunting partner, but kind of offering help I suppose. I’m starting to know a few older gentlemen that would love to continue hunting but have some physical limitations. So that got me thinking, some of my neighbours probably feel the same way.

If you are hunting within an hour drive of Fort Saskatchewan (including the Blackfoot) and need help with a downed animal or tracking. I would be willing to give you a hand if I am available.

I am eager to help those in need, but I will not be taken advantage of. If I think you are just being lazy or doing something illegal, I’ll go home.

I’m 31, grew up on a farm. Have most of the required gear. Don’t have a quad. Work as a tradesman in the oil and gas industry. Been hunting since I was 12. I have a young family and probably won’t be hunting much this year (new baby coming soon). Game recovery/processing is half the fun for me.

I’m not trying to snoop around other people “spots”. I have my own.

If you are in a pickle and need some help. I would happy to give a hand if I can.

Travis
780-915-6588
Text preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
Hello,

Not really looking for a hunting partner, but kind of offering help I suppose. I’m starting to know a few older gentlemen that would love to continue hunting but have some physical limitations. So that got me thinking, some of my neighbours probably feel the same way.

If you are hunting within an hour drive of Fort Saskatchewan (including the Blackfoot) and need help with a downed animal or tracking. I would be willing to give you a hand if I am available.

I am eager to help those in need, but I will not be taken advantage of. If I think you are just being lazy or doing something illegal, I’ll go home.

I’m 31, grew up on a farm. Have most of the required gear. Don’t have a quad. Work as a tradesman in the oil and gas industry. Been hunting since I was 12. I have a young family and probably won’t be hunting much this year (new baby coming soon). Game recovery/processing is half the fun for me.

If you are in a pickle and need some help. I would happy to give a hand if I can.

Travis
780-915-6588
Text preferred.

Karma is coming for you… and it’s all very good stuff.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
Hello,

Travis
780-915-6588
Text preferred.

You've set a role example of what true sportsmanship is.

Kudo to you Sir!
Old 09-07-2023, 02:11 PM

Default Weekend warrior Calgary area

Met some good people over the years land recently.

Looking to hunt migratory birds from Calgary.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:52 PM

Default I am

Looking for a hunter partner I suppose or group. Been hunting 7 years now all over the province with some success and am a crack shot. 4 cow elk out of Suffield 1 Bull called in during the rut and a maybe a dozen deer. I process all meat at home myself. I try to take a week of for Sept. 17 and head North to GP area to call for elk. No Moose yet but tried looking for them a few times. Truck and foot only. I have not done but would like to be calling in 402 for elk. Prefer another person to slap a Grizzly off my back while wrestling a cougar, yelling at the wolves and waving blaze orange at other hunters. Deboned one trip back down the Mountain 125lbs of meat I might make it but a 2nd trip no way. Thus hear I am posting. Weekends only approx. within 2 hours of Calgary except for 1 week a year vacation for anytime anywhere. Side note: Possible Salmon fishing partner as well. No boat sold mine but know how, where and when to fill the cooler and likely to find another in the next few years. Still have all the tackle,rods,crab and prawn traps. I have a lot of tenting gear. Recenlty a nobo 10.6. Truck has a 6 inch lift with 37's to get around.
Old 09-25-2023, 03:07 PM

Default Looking for a hunting partner

I'm in search of a hunting partner to help me harvest game animals, including Deer, Black Bear, Mule Deer, and Elk. My typical hunting grounds are in the GHOST Pluz and Yaha areas, specifically in Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) 412, 414, 416, and 417. I hold general tags for Mule Deer and Elk, so we have the flexibility to plan trips to the northern regions for these species. If you're interested in joining forces for a hunting adventure, please send me a message.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:34 PM

Hey guys, if anyone is looking for a hunting partner im going to be up around GP/Peace river area for next 6 days, never been there there, will be putting lots of miles on the ol feet.
looking for bear, elk or whitetail. Will be rifle hunting.
If youre up there and want to link up or show a guy around it would be much appreciated!
shoot me a dm.