Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 08:37 AM

I'm once again proud to be an Albertan. Thank you all for doing your civic duty in what is probably the most important provincial election in the nation's history.
An NDP victory would have set Alberta back decades in terms of economic prosperity and political freedom over tyrannical rule from Ottawa. Imagine how pleased the Turd and his bearded lackey would have been with an ousted conservative government in Alberta.
There are still some intelligent voters in Canada and we can coax a few more to join in when JT meets his retribution in the near future.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Most of those who don’t vote are probably those you would want to. They are often hard working people who just want to live their life and be left alone. They just don’t have faith in politics because there is no accountability and our choices in candidates are very poor

Those who lean more towards extremist views won’t miss the opportunity to vote because they are passionate about their views and will put in the effort to make sure they vote for those who are more likely to endorse/implement policies that lean in their favor. Remember the extremely woke are out to change the world to support their vision of what it should be. These people are not going to miss an opportunity to vote and have an impact of the direction politics heads towards

It would probably do wonders if we had a higher turnout because it’s mostly your average working Canadian that isn’t showing up at the polls

Crazy is consumed by their personal views and will never miss an opportunity to push things in their direction. Simple people who are just trying to live life are less likely to be consumed by voting to make an impact on the overall population
Those who work for an honest living are the ones most negatively affected by government policies in the current anti-populist political climate. They are more likely to make an effort to get out and vote than those who expect others to pay their way and have virtue signaling mouthpieces hand them an easy ride.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:32 AM

Found this interesting from Don Braid's Twitter this morning. Margin for error for Smith is pretty slim compared to previous governments.

-------------------------------

Don Braid
@DonBraid
Some people have the impression that the UCP won an 11-seat majority. Numerically, it's true - the UCP got 49 seats, the NDP 38. So, 11 more seats.
#ableg #abpoli #cdnpoli #abvotes #yyc #Yeg
9:26 AM · May 30, 2023
·
1m
But that's not a legislative majority. The house has 87 seats, Support from 44 MLAs is necessary to win a vote. The UCP has 49 seats; a legislative majority of five votes. Previous low for any government was 13 for the NDP in 2015. #ableg #abpoli #cdnpoli #abvotes #yyc #Yeg
Don Braid
@DonBraid
·
1m
And the five-seat majority is weaker than it looks. A speaker must be elected. The speaker is nominally impartial but can vote to break a tie. One MLA, Jennifer Johnson, will sit as an independent. #ableg #abpoli #cdnpoli #abvotes #yyc #Yeg
Don Braid
@DonBraid
·
1m
The thin majority means that both UCP and NDP will have to marshall every MLA for key votes. There's little room for death, illness, or personal misadventure. The government falls if it loses a money vote. #ableg #abpoli #cdnpoli #abvotes #yyc #Yeg
Don Braid
@DonBraid
·
1m
So this a big change in Alberta politics - unique over 31 provincial elections, in fact - even though various trolls would like the media to ignore it. #ableg #abpoli #cdnpoli #abvotes #yyc #Yeg
Old 05-30-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
Found this interesting from Don Braid's Twitter this morning. Margin for error for Smith is pretty slim compared to previous governments.

Don Braid
@DonBraid
Some people have the impression that the UCP won an 11-seat majority. Numerically, it's true - the UCP got 49 seats, the NDP 38. So, 11 more seats.
·
1m
But that's not a legislative majority. The house has 87 seats, Support from 44 MLAs is necessary to win a vote. The UCP has 49 seats; a legislative majority of five votes. Previous low for any government was 13 for the NDP in 2015. #ableg #abpoli #cdnpoli #abvotes #yyc #Yeg
Don Braid
@DonBraid
·
1m
And the five-seat majority is weaker than it looks. A speaker must be elected. The speaker is nominally impartial but can vote to break a tie. One MLA, Jennifer Johnson, will sit as an independent. #ableg #abpoli #cdnpoli #abvotes #yyc #Yeg
Don Braid
@DonBraid
·
1m
The thin majority means that both UCP and NDP will have to marshall every MLA for key votes. There's little room for death, illness, or personal misadventure. The government falls if it loses a money vote. #ableg #abpoli #cdnpoli #abvotes #yyc #Yeg
Don Braid
@DonBraid
·
1m
So this a big change in Alberta politics - unique over 31 provincial elections, in fact - even though various trolls would like the media to ignore it. #ableg #abpoli #cdnpoli #abvotes #yyc #Yeg
So, the politicians have to work, for a change.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-30-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Those who work for an honest living are the ones most negatively affected by government policies in the current anti-populist political climate. They are more likely to make an effort to get out and vote than those who expect others to pay their way and have virtue signaling mouthpieces hand them an easy ride.
I didn’t vote for 15years and in that time frame I owned two different businesses and operated heavy equipment for others on the side

I would say 1/3 of the people I know don’t vote and they are all working. Many work crazy amounts of overtime to an almost unhealthy level.

Theses are truckers, heavy equipment operators, mechanics, carpenters, electricians, site/plant managers, business owners, heat treaters, paramedics, nurses, and a ton of other job titles. Many are in mining, logging, and oil & gas industry working away from home. These are not lazy people and often they are working too much if anything.

Only lazy non voters I know are two of my brothers in laws that are welfare cases

The vast majority of above people are not lazy leaches and neither was I when I didn’t vote. Probably more common trend is worn out from over working

But the handful of die hard leftists I am related to or known through others never miss a vote because they are consumed by their views. They are driven by look at me I am doing good attention seeking addiction

This is why when you talk to people in day to day life majority don’t share the crazy woke politics view even though it is so rampant in politics.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Don Braid
@DonBraid
·
1m
Don Braid
@DonBraid
·
1m
Don Braid
@DonBraid
·
1m
Don Braid
@DonBraid
·
1m
[QUOTE=Grizzly Adams1;4639287]So, the politicians have to work, for a change.

Grizz[/QUOTE

The UCP have a majority, but did they really win the election. Is dropping 14 seats a victory or a wake up call? That's a 28.5% step backwards.

The NDP winning 14 seats a 62% improvement for the NDP. The NDP is gaining momentum.

I truly hope the UCP take this election to look in the mirror and come to a realization that they need to moderate. If they don't and these numbers continue come next election, they could disappear.

Be interesting in a year or two if DS is still their leader.

As much as we all want RN to step down, DS needs to step up.

BW
Old 05-30-2023, 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=Bigwoodsman;4639303]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz[/QUOTE

The UCP have a majority, but did they really win the election. Is dropping 14 seats a victory or a wake up call? That's a 28.5% step backwards.

The NDP winning 14 seats a 62% improvement for the NDP. The NDP is gaining momentum.

I truly hope the UCP take this election to look in the mirror and come to a realization that they need to moderate. If they don't and these numbers continue come next election, they could disappear.

BW
In my opinion if Notley steps down the NDP is finished. Way to many nuts over there and Notley for the most part kept them in check.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-30-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Reads like it came straight from a butt-hurt closet dipper that is trying his best to hide his bias.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I didn’t vote for 15years and in that time frame I owned two different businesses and operated heavy equipment for others on the side

I would say 1/3 of the people I know don’t vote and they are all working. Many work crazy amounts of overtime to an almost unhealthy level.

Theses are truckers, heavy equipment operators, mechanics, carpenters, electricians, site/plant managers, business owners, heat treaters, paramedics, nurses, and a ton of other job titles. Many are in mining, logging, and oil & gas industry working away from home. These are not lazy people and often they are working too much if anything.

Only lazy non voters I know are two of my brothers in laws that are welfare cases

The vast majority of above people are not lazy leaches and neither was I when I didn’t vote. Probably more common trend is worn out from over working

But the handful of die hard leftists I am related to or known through others never miss a vote because they are consumed by their views. They are driven by look at me I am doing good attention seeking addiction

This is why when you talk to people in day to day life majority don’t share the crazy woke politics view even though it is so rampant in politics.
Then they get what they deserve. The left has so many of their voters not working and looking for a teat we will eventually get over run.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-30-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Grizz[/QUOTE

BW

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Reads like it came straight from a butt-hurt closet dipper that is trying his best to hide his bias.
I don't know if you are meaning I'm "butt-hurt" or Don Braid, but I'll assume you mean me since you didn't include Don's comment's in what you quoted...

Not sure how pointing out that Smith's margin for error is slim makes me a "butt-hurt closet dipper...". I didn't vote NDP, I voted UCP. However voting UCP doesn't mean that I believe their leader and their policies are without flaw. I'm glad we don't currently have an NDP government, but I also think Smith, and the party as whole, have some work to do and I find some of Smith's policy ideas concerning. Having those thoughts/concerns do not make people "butt-hurt" or a "closet dipper".
Old 05-30-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I agree.

I don't know if you are meaning I'm "butt-hurt" or Don Braid, but I'll assume you mean me since you didn't include Don's comment's in what you quoted...

Not sure how pointing out that Smith's margin for error is slim makes me a "butt-hurt closet dipper...". I didn't vote NDP, I voted UCP. However voting UCP doesn't mean that I believe their leader and their policies are without flaw. I'm glad we don't currently have an NDP government, but I also think Smith, and the party as whole, have some work to do and I find some of Smith's policy ideas concerning. Having those thoughts/concerns do not make people "butt-hurt" or a "closet dipper".
I am almost sure he meant Don. Guy is a huge NDP supporter.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-30-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I agree.

I meant him.
Didn't want to quote all of that again.

Your comments are interesting though.
What kind of "work" do you think they need to do?
Should they be leaning more right, or more left, in your opinion?
Old 05-30-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Then they get what they deserve. The left has so many of their voters not working and looking for a teat we will eventually get over run.
Crappy political choices will continue to deter voters and the people I mentioned will always adjust to get by as they always have. They are always working even if it’s in camp or if they have to relocate

As for they get what they deserve they expect to get screwed by all politicians so not a real concern

It’s not that it is the correct choice but it’s a common one clearly

But to think it’s lazy leaches not voting couldn’t be farther from the truth
Old 05-30-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Could you flesh out some of those crack pot ideas for me?
Don't feed the troll.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:03 PM

[QUOTE=Bigwoodsman;4639303]
Quote:

Grizz[/QUOTE

BW
The UCP won enough seats to form government, so yes they won the election. As far as "gaining momentum " goes, in four years, things can do a complete reversal, so there really isn't such a thing as momentum between elections.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I meant him.

I'm sure this will go over like a lead balloon in this forum, but a few concerns I have/work I think the UCP has ahead of them....

I think they need to distance themselves from David Parker and Take Back Alberta. There's no doubt a portion of AB share similar views as David Parker, but I would venture a guess that the portion of the province in the "far-right category" (which, there's no doubt TBA falls into) is dwarfed by those closer to the "middle" and I see taking marching orders from TBA being troublesome for Smith and for the government. Maybe I'm wrong there but time will tell.

Smith needs to stop flip-flopping on issues/statements she's made and stop using "that was when I was a radio host" as an excuse. If her feelings/ideology has changed over the years, then state that. Don't hide behind "don't use what I said in the past, use my actions" - which, her actions aren't great either as she is someone who said she wouldn't cross the floor, only to do so 2 weeks later...

The thought of moving to an "Alberta Pension" seems expensive and unnecessary and I think the same could be said regarding an AB Police force. If they want to go that route, expand the Sheriffs, but still... Seems unnecessary and expensive (And yes I know there is a lot of distrust in the RCMP in rural AB). I think Smith has walked these back quite a bit, but let's not forget that controversial topics tend to disappear during an election campaign so it wouldn't shock me to see them creep up again.

Healthcare.... Rural healthcare specifically, but even just healthcare in general in our province is in crisis. I think everything needs to be on the table. I don't think it's too overdramatic to say that how Smith and the UCP handle healthcare very well could dictate whether they continue to govern past this term.

Reduce the size and cost of her government. What happened to the "small government" ideology of conservatives?

All that said... This is what I would like to see happen with Smith and UCP. That's not to say that's what EVERYONE should think the UCP should be doing. UCP is still, essentially, a "big tent" party and people are going to disagree with certain aspects of ideas/policies/legislation. And that is ok. It's ok to disagree, just don't be disagreeable.

EDIT: forgot to include setting up/collection of taxes with an AB tax agency - would fall into the expensive and unnecessary categories as above.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:13 PM
AO Sponsor

I still do not like Smith but I am glad she won for the province. Now she needs to lead and stop letting BS soundbites for the opposition drop out of her mouth like a kid shoving handfuls of skittles in its mouth.

Her biggest problem will be herself so she needs not control that.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-30-2023, 12:15 PM

Notley was running against Smith, Smith was running against Notley and the Media
Old 05-30-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I still do not like Smith but I am glad she won for the province. Now she needs to lead and stop letting BS soundbites for the opposition drop out of her mouth like a kid shoving handfuls of skittles in its mouth.

Agree, I voted for her so that means I (and others) hired her. Now I want results. If I wanted an employee that does nothing for Alberta, I would have voted for the NDP.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post

What Bob said. Enough talking. Get things done. That is the way to silence critics. Responsible competent government, improve service and cut costs. That last part is not a dichotomy, it is quite possible, especially on health care and education. Way too damn many managers. That is all.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-30-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I read the Journal at work, his columns have been anything but DS since she was elected leader. You are bang on.

Nice to see a province of Blue except for where I live in Redmonton . Hope Calgary was just a protest vote and not a trend.

DS has some work to do, so get to work running the province and see if she can get some good things done and under her belt before the next election. I sure hope the knives don't constantly get thrown her way for the next few years as we know there is a faction in the party that would want to see her fail.

Notley won due to a protest/split vote in 2015, she lost big to Kenney and she gained a bit back this time around but still lost to DS. She should go away but for sure she will stay at the trough till the next election.

Now we have to let DS run her show and see what she can do. Within 2 years we will know if she was better for the province or not.

Last edited by Sooner; 05-30-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:37 PM

Here's what I hope.

AB Police force and AB pension = anyone who doesn't like it and wants to stay with the RCMP and stay with the CPP can leave! Those people can leave and take their NDP votes with them.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I meant him.

Quote:
I'm sure this will go over like a lead balloon in this forum, but a few concerns I have/work I think the UCP has ahead of them....

I think they need to distance themselves from David Parker and Take Back Alberta. There's no doubt a portion of AB share similar views as David Parker, but I would venture a guess that the portion of the province in the "far-right category" (which, there's no doubt TBA falls into) is dwarfed by those closer to the "middle" and I see taking marching orders from TBA being troublesome for Smith and for the government. Maybe I'm wrong there but time will tell.

Smith needs to stop flip-flopping on issues/statements she's made and stop using "that was when I was a radio host" as an excuse. If her feelings/ideology has changed over the years, then state that. Don't hide behind "don't use what I said in the past, use my actions" - which, her actions aren't great either as she is someone who said she wouldn't cross the floor, only to do so 2 weeks later...

The thought of moving to an "Alberta Pension" seems expensive and unnecessary and I think the same could be said regarding an AB Police force. If they want to go that route, expand the Sheriffs, but still... Seems unnecessary and expensive (And yes I know there is a lot of distrust in the RCMP in rural AB). I think Smith has walked these back quite a bit, but let's not forget that controversial topics tend to disappear during an election campaign so it wouldn't shock me to see them creep up again.

Healthcare.... Rural healthcare specifically, but even just healthcare in general in our province is in crisis. I think everything needs to be on the table. I don't think it's too overdramatic to say that how Smith and the UCP handle healthcare very well could dictate whether they continue to govern past this term.

Reduce the size and cost of her government. What happened to the "small government" ideology of conservatives?

All that said... This is what I would like to see happen with Smith and UCP. That's not to say that's what EVERYONE should think the UCP should be doing. UCP is still, essentially, a "big tent" party and people are going to disagree with certain aspects of ideas/policies/legislation. And that is ok. It's ok to disagree, just don't be disagreeable.

EDIT: forgot to include setting up/collection of taxes with an AB tax agency - would fall into the expensive and unnecessary categories as above.
I should have included above that just in the general sense, Smith and the UCP have some work to do with their governance and policies because they lost seats this election. That signifies some people have lost faith in her and the party, and they need to figure out why or Smith and UCP could see the current number of seats decline once again in the next election....
Old 05-30-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Here's what I hope.

AB Police force and AB pension = anyone who doesn't like it and wants to stay with the RCMP and stay with the CPP can leave! Those people can leave and take their NDP votes with them.

Yep, time to kick the corrupt RCMP out of Alberta.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Here's what I hope.

Why does wanting to stay with CPP make a person an NDP voter?
Old 05-30-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
It may not but so many people didn't like Smith because of that idea and we vote on ideas we like so lots of wanna-be conservatives voted NDP to spite Smith.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
why is it good for quebec and ontario, but not for Alberta?
Old 05-30-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
my view is as simple as stop financing the rest of the country on every program, let's start one at a time
Old 05-30-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Here's what I hope.

So Alberta is going to assume the debt of paying everyone who has been paying into CPP for the last 57 years?

Or just say you are out of luck and move to another province?
Old 05-30-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
So Alberta is going to assume the debt of paying everyone who has been paying into CPP for the last 57 years?

Or just say you are out of luck and move to another province?
no, ottawa has to give us back our share
Closed Thread