Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2023, 11:31 AM

Default PEI could use a lot of help

I was in PEI a couple weeks ago. Drove the whole province.

Hurricane Fiona damaged 40% of the trees. I saw thousands of acres that had trees blown down, trees next to driveways still etc. Hundreds of woodpiles where people got at it and cleaned up but in truth, they havent really made a dent.

I saw 5 pieces of heavy equipment trying to pile rocks against the dunes on the north shore. Otherwise I didnt see a lot of work being done, both residential and federal. I kniw they were given federal funds but wow not much is done

Given that these trees will dry out Im thinking if next summer they get a fire, that island will be in trouble. Big time.

I did note a very relaxed attitude in the people. It was definitely different than here. Tim's was always full and I bet we saw no less than 50 Tim Hortons between PEI and the Halifax area.....like I said....full to the rafters with people......

To me, it had the look of an emergency situation, yet, little was being done.

I cant seem to find info on what the plan is for PEI post Fiona.....if they did get $, and I assume they did, I failed to see where it was used. Some houses had tarped roofs still......

I just.found it odd and concerning and wondered if amyone here might have some insight as to what the plan is. It's a tinderbox just waiting to go
Old 05-29-2023, 11:54 AM

I did note that there was a lack of oysters in NS and PEI. Not many places had them.

And lobster was $6.50-$7.25 per pound payable to the fishermen, but a lobster sold in store at $30 per lb and restaurants were selling at $51 for a lobster, potatoes and green beans...wow

Kinda like here with steak. $25 for a tbone and a cow is....well......we all know that one....
Old 05-29-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I did note that there was a lack of oysters in NS and PEI. Not many places had them.

And lobster was $6.50-$7.25 per pound payable to the fishermen, but a lobster sold in store at $30 per lb and restaurants were selling at $51 for a lobster, potatoes and green beans...wow

Kinda like here with steak. $25 for a tbone and a cow is....well......we all know that one....
Now I'm hungry. Dangit.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Now I'm hungry. Dangit.
Yeah, thanks a LOT, huntin'. Sheesh. Now I'm fancyin' a lobster boil.

Back to the topic - what do you think can be done to help, huntinstuff? Are there opportunities to assist in some way?

Or, do you think there's simply a lack of will to get things fixed up, or perhaps a lack of urgency? Or is what they really need is some direction/guidance as opposed to resources?
Old 05-29-2023, 01:45 PM

You're telling me people in the east don't want to work?
That is shocking.
I'm shocked.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Yeah, thanks a LOT, huntin'. Sheesh. Now I'm fancyin' a lobster boil.

Back to the topic - what do you think can be done to help, huntinstuff? Are there opportunities to assist in some way?

Or, do you think there's simply a lack of will to get things fixed up, or perhaps a lack of urgency? Or is what they really need is some direction/guidance as opposed to resources?
Im trying hard to phrase my thoughts properly so I dont put my work ethic as the "standard".

I did see a lack of urgency. I talked to many residents and by far the tone was " we are getting to it"

Perhaps they will. I did see 6 John Deere tractors working, giving the fields a light tilling. Not sure what their crop intentions were tho as I didnt disturb active work.

But provincial work was only in one spot, north shore moving rock. Zero work anywhere else. I didnt realize how "touristy" PEI was. A lot.of places werent open until after may long weekend.

But the acreages that had trees down were plentiful, and with no work being done. Lots of socializing tho......

I know from friends who were in Haiti working after Katrina that mostly roads and power were the priority. I get that. But years later, and billions spent there, it is still a mess. My buddy was there for a year working and said it would have been cheaper if Canada and US just bought Haiti outright......

I kinda got the same vibe in PEI....lots of destruction and very little clean up. That kind of stuff would not fly here.

Like I said, some places had logs piled and woodpiles galore....but no where near Id estimate 20% of what needs to be done.

Im not sure those people were very well taken care of is my concern. Our govt sure seems to pump $ into other countries in these circumstances. Im sure if Ottawa or Quebec had been hit like this, by now you would look and never know it.

Maybe this summer and fall are gonna be the big work times. Maybe I was just there at the wrong time to see any progress....but you can cut trees in winter......and spring.....maybe it's a machinery issue
Old 05-29-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I was in PEI a couple weeks ago. Drove the whole province.

Hurricane Fiona damaged 40% of the trees. I saw thousands of acres that had trees blown down, trees next to driveways still etc. Hundreds of woodpiles where people got at it and cleaned up but in truth, they havent really made a dent.

I saw 5 pieces of heavy equipment trying to pile rocks against the dunes on the north shore. Otherwise I didnt see a lot of work being done, both residential and federal. I kniw they were given federal funds but wow not much is done

Given that these trees will dry out Im thinking if next summer they get a fire, that island will be in trouble. Big time.

I did note a very relaxed attitude in the people. It was definitely different than here. Tim's was always full and I bet we saw no less than 50 Tim Hortons between PEI and the Halifax area.....like I said....full to the rafters with people......

To me, it had the look of an emergency situation, yet, little was being done.

I cant seem to find info on what the plan is for PEI post Fiona.....if they did get $, and I assume they did, I failed to see where it was used. Some houses had tarped roofs still......

I just.found it odd and concerning and wondered if amyone here might have some insight as to what the plan is. It's a tinderbox just waiting to go

I think what you're saying is that they should get off their duffs and get to work, the wood's not going to cut/split/stack itself. Maybe Tim's should be accepting cordwood instead of cash. lol
Old 05-29-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I think what you're saying is that they should get off their duffs and get to work, the wood's not going to cut/split/stack itself. Maybe Tim's should be accepting cordwood instead of cash. lol
Well, the fact is there was a lot of coffee breaks but I couldnt figure out what the breaks were for....lol

My son is an arborist. I told him he should pack his stuff and go there......he would make a million before christmas....and if it was govt funded, likely 2 million.....
Old 05-29-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Well, the fact is there was a lot of coffee breaks but I couldnt figure out what the breaks were for....lol

My son is an arborist. I told him he should pack his stuff and go there......he would make a million before christmas....and if it was govt funded, likely 2 million.....

I was thinking that it's a good thing that your son wasn't there with you. Otherwise the vacation would've been over, you'd have a sore back and firewood stacked everywhere.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I was thinking that it's a good thing that your son wasn't there with you. Otherwise the vacation would've been over, you'd have a sore back and firewood stacked everywhere.
I think if you had 20 guys cutting and stacking they would spend their whole life there

I was in 2 Stihl shops and their shelves were full of saws......so there is no shortage of that.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:57 PM

Take a look at per capita equalization payments and you may have a partial answer.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:15 PM

All the industrious islanders are in Alberta working?
Old 05-29-2023, 03:38 PM

Back in 2013 I got married in the Yukon, and 2 weeks afterward my new bride and I were off to PEI for affordable land and housing. We picked up a well-appointed 2-level home with a modest shop on 10 river-front acres for $200 000, all located about 15 minutes outside of Charlottetown.

At work (Ford) I was told to slow down as the pay was hourly instead of flat rate. In turn I moved to another dealership in hopes of working flat rate, but they lacked the volume of work needed. I received requests from folks to perform mechanical side jobs for the sum of $10/hourly. Finally I said to my wife that we need to leave this place before we can't afford to move back west. Ultimately I lasted 4 months there and wound up in Peace River.

My wife finished out her teaching contract, sold the house privately (broke even), and joined me in Alberta.

PEI is a great place to visit, yet at the same time it's a difficult place to make a go of things. The world seems to turn at a different pace out there, which is neither good nor bad - it's just the way it is.

On a fun note, not too long after leaving they had a good winter storm in Nova Scotia which knocked some highway signage over, including this one for the ferry to the Island ...

Couldn't script it better!
Old 05-29-2023, 03:41 PM

The Easterner's come here to work when the oil requires it and when it slows down they go home. Guess they are oil workers and not lumberjacks. Seems like they don't do much fishing or lobster trapping anymore. They need to cut that stuff up, let it season, bag it or crate it and sell it. Just look at the cost of a small bag of wood. That would involve work though. The ones tilling the fields were probably thinking about growing potatoes for the annual PEI Potato Blossom Festival. Ya right
Old 05-29-2023, 03:48 PM

A few years back we were in PEI for a couple of weeks and there was a bad storm. After the storm was over the clean up was as you described - slow motion or no motion. I could not understand the non urgency to fix things.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:50 PM

And one more ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdVBnhqXFWo

Pogey Beach - a spin off from the Just Passing Through mini series. It was shot at Tracadie just a few minutes away from my old place. Good for a laugh! Easy on the eyes, too.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
A few years back we were in PEI for a couple of weeks and there was a bad storm. After the storm was over the clean up was as you described - slow motion or no motion. I could not understand the non urgency to fix things.
Give em time, the stuff will rot then they can brag about how much work the clean up was after that big typhoon, biggest typhoon the world ever saw eh!
Old 05-29-2023, 08:18 PM

A friend was an HR director at a large company in Charlottetown, she once commented on the laid back style locally. She was asked if she was a CFA...she asked what that was, apparently Come From Away. She replied it's better than an NBA...apparently means Never Been Away. Island time is commonplace

When the Confed Bridge was proposed, many locals questioned it's need, apparently losing ferry service for several days in winter was just part of life. The biggest concern was that the "island way" might be compromised to be more like the mainland. Their relaxed way is quite cherished.

It's different but I can't say it's wrong.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
A friend was an HR director at a large company in Charlottetown, she once commented on the laid back style locally. She was asked if she was a CFA...she asked what that was, apparently Come From Away. She replied it's better than an NBA...apparently means Never Been Away. Island time is commonplace

When the Confed Bridge was proposed, many locals questioned it's need, apparently losing ferry service for several days in winter was just part of life. The biggest concern was that the "island way" might be compromised to be more like the mainland. Their relaxed way is quite cherished.

It's different but I can't say it's wrong.
Agreed.

It is just very different from what Im used to. Enough so that I thought Id start this thread due to my concern over the tree/fire potential issue.....

Evidently they are not concerned. Until they become concerned.....lol

I hear pumping water from the Atlantic to put out fires is kinda hard on equipment......
Old 05-30-2023, 12:00 AM

I was there last week. Quite a mess. My wife is from there. About an hour from Charlottetown. Was my first time meeting her kids and grandkids. Great bunch of folks. Met alot of her old friends and people are nice but holay laid back for sure. Most could not fathom living anywhere else when they would ask when we were moving there and I'd say never or ask what I thought of PEI and I'd say it's a beautiful place to look at scenery wise but there is something inherently wrong with a province that does not have any wildlife larger than a coyote and not one freshwater lake.
Locals say 60% of the softwood was blown over in Fiona. I don't doubt that by the looks of the mess. There was areas getting cleaned up but when I inquired what was taking so long and why wasn't anyone capitalizing on this vast amount of wood was told there was a number of out of province mills and foresters wanting to harvest the wood but due to the nature of how it was laying every which direction in massive criss crossing patterns and with the roots attached pulled free of the ground it was extremely difficult to open a pathway and pull it. It was too time consuming to be profitable so they did not pursue it.
As well PEI itself does not have much of a lumber industry of it's own, throw in most is on private land and requires purchasing from landowners and then beurocratic involvement and it is pretty much not going to get picked up. The spots I did see cleaned up were private landowners clearing their lands and piling firewood as needed and in the cities where city crews(and we know how they work) were doing clean up.
Basically unless it was in the way of something or interfering with a service it was cleaned up and none else.
As for the fishing? My wifes youngest fishes lobster. He is having his best season ever and based on what I saw lobster fishing is a thriving industry in the province. And you do not enter into it cheaply! A decent older used boat and commercial license with your assigned area you can fish will run you 1.5 million minimum to get started. Start out with a new boat and you are over 2,000,000 to get started. Not chump change and you have to catch alot of lobster to make those annual payments and you only have May and June to fish then season closes!

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 05-30-2023 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I was there last week. Quite a mess. My wife is from there. About an hour from Charlottetown. Was my first time meeting her kids and grandkids. Great bunch of folks. Met alot of her old friends and people are nice but holay laid back for sure. Most could not fathom living anywhere else when they would ask when we were moving there and I'd say never or ask what I thought of PEI and I'd say it's a beautiful place to look at scenery wise but there is something inherently wrong with a province that does not have any wildlife larger than a coyote and not one freshwater lake.
Locals say 60% of the softwood was blown over in Fiona. I don't doubt that by the looks of the mess. There was areas getting cleaned up but when I inquired what was taking so long and why wasn't anyone capitalizing on this vast amount of wood was told there was a number of out of province mills and foresters wanting to harvest the wood but due to the nature of how it was laying every which direction in massive criss crossing patterns it was extremely difficult to open a pathway and pull it. It was too time consuming to be profitable. As well PEI itself does not have much of a lumber industry of it's own, throw in most is on private land and requires purchasing from landowners and then beurocratic involvement and it is pretty much not going to get picked up. The spots I did see cleaned up were private landowners clearing their lands and piling firewood as needed and in the cities where city crews(and we know how they work) were doing clean up.
Basically unless it was in the way of something or interfering with a service it was cleaned up and none else.
As for the fishing? My wifes youngest fishes lobster. He is having his best season ever and based on what I saw lobster fishing is a thriving industry in the province. And you do not enter into it cheaply! A decent older used boat and commercial license with your assigned area you can fish will run you 1.5 million minimum to get started. Start out with a new boat and you are over 2,000,000 to get started. Not chump change and you have to catch alot of lobster to make those annual payments and you only have May and June to fish then season closes!
Its like you were there with me....everything you say above is spot on.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Its like you were there with me....everything you say above is spot on.
We were both there not too much time apart. Nice scenic province with nice people but I'd never live there of my own desire. It's not for me and if it wasn't for my wife having family there I'd have no reason to go back again.
I did enjoy the fresh lobster boil though!
It only takes a few days to take it all in, hell Vancouver Island is bigger and takes longer to explore and offers alot more for a hunter and fisherman and in my opinion the Pacific is much more rugged and scenic looking. Pics are the harbour my wifes youngest fishes out of and that is him unloading a catch at the buyers on the wharf. He pulled just shy of 1600lbs that day and next day hauled in over 2200lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5577.jpg (20.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5579.jpg (47.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5581.jpg (46.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5582.jpg (36.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5584.jpg (24.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5585.jpg (36.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5586.jpg (49.0 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 05-30-2023 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:36 AM

^ Spot on about the Pacific, imo.

I was in PEI for a few days about 15 or so years ago. Laid back is right. Similar to Newfoundland. People can also spend hours telling you stories most of which probably never happened, haha. Many also told stories of leaving for work and going back because life was too fast elsewhere (most tried GTA, however, which makes Alberta seem slow pace wise). Nice place to visit for sure. I’d come back to Newfoundland, but probably skip the PEI if I go that way again… Maybe spend a couple of days just to drive the bridge, take a dip, and head back on the ferry.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Just relaxing, no worries, the sun will rise tomorrow and we will see what’s on the ever changing agenda....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-30-2023, 07:15 AM

Even Stompin Tom got out of there.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Even Stompin Tom got out of there.
Magnum PEI didn't stay long either.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:28 AM

Default reminds me of South africa

And the ANC "farming " practices. Do nothing and let the jungle take over.Yet demand financial help whenever possible.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post

I corked my way through university on PEI.

IMO the crazy part is there are at last 3 different lobster seasons in the maritimes and your license only entitles you to fish one season. The idea being, get as many small time operations in the industry as possible. Because you are only fishing 10 or less weeks, you need big income to cover your expenses. Yes fuel and labour is expensive (unless you are fishing stamps), but the capital costs are the real expense here.

Again, my opinion only, the problem I see building is expenses are too high in east coast fishing and the price of lobster simply isn't competitive with other country's seafood. The price that fishermen "need" to make money makes the price in the Costco seafood aisle look very attractive.

As for the above comments: I was raised on PEI (born NS) and moved to AB in 1999. I have 2 U of A grads and 1 NAIT grad, all working in their chosen field. Not many Islanders can say that!

Loyal Albertan here, who will never go back and I am so glad I raised my kids here.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:43 AM

The biggest employer in PEI is government. The population of the entire province is about the size of Red Deer. Their default position is to look to the government first. Without transfer payments PEI would not exist
Old 05-30-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
The biggest employer in PEI is government. The population of the entire province is about the size of Red Deer. Their default position is to look to the government first. Without transfer payments PEI would not exist
So it's no surprise, that the Atlantic provinces like PEI support Trudeau. They are quite content to take handouts, and let someone else pay the bills. The irony, is that Trudeau doesn't really offer them much other than transfer payments, if it was Quebec, the federal money would be flowing.