Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-29-2023, 08:22 AM

Default RRGC 3rd Groundhog Shoot

Open for registration. Rocky Rod and gun club 3rd Groundhog Shoot May 27-2023. Please check out the website for details in the Forms section. “Rockygunclub.com”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ED8B9A77-D531-42F4-8217-DDFB3D947B87.jpg (34.3 KB, 146 views)
Old 04-10-2023, 08:37 AM

Filling up fast. Excellent entry level shoot.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:44 AM

Is the event going to be open to visitors? (to watch)

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 04-10-2023, 11:26 AM

Visitors welcome but will have to purchase a $30 guest pass.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:26 AM

Visitors welcome but non members will have to purchase a $30 guest pass.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:50 PM

Still some spots open. Hopefully some more people k have components to compete.
Old 04-30-2023, 03:33 PM

$105 for non-members seems a bit spendy for having no prizes other than medals & trophies. I know how that sounds, but...

Are non-member guests expected to pay the extra $30 day-pass fee as well ?
Old 04-30-2023, 04:54 PM

Some cash prizes. If you’re lucky enough to place. A lot of prizes on draw table. Most entry fees are converted into the prize table. Yes. Non members need a guest pass.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:31 PM

there will a lot of prizes. pretty cheap for a days entertainment!

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:55 PM

Default Sent my application

I sent my application today. I hope its not filled up yet!
Old 05-21-2023, 01:08 PM

2 more days to register. A few spots left. No youth entries so far even though a sponsor is covering entry fees.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:14 PM

Default Hotels?

Any Hotel recommendations?
Old 05-21-2023, 07:07 PM

Walking eagle is always a hit. Great food too. Email for all registrants coming soon. Unserviced Camping area close to range is available.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
Walking eagle is always a hit. Great food too. Email for all registrants coming soon. Unserviced Camping area close to range is available.
Stayed there 2 nights ago... Decent for sure, and they have smoking rooms if you're into that.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:10 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the recomendation!
Old 05-23-2023, 08:36 AM

Hotel costs, holy crap,
need to buy a camper or make new friends, quickly
Old 05-23-2023, 01:11 PM

You could fight the dog for spot on the couch. Lol. Smoke has cleared. Should be a nice evening under the stars.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:54 PM

Default Great Event

What a fun event! It was so much fun. Gents if you ever get the chance to participate in this shoot you should!

Thanks again for putting it on and great job hosting!
Old 05-27-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
What a fun event! It was so much fun. Gents if you ever get the chance to participate in this shoot you should!

Thanks again for putting it on and great job hosting!
How'd you do?
Old 05-28-2023, 04:16 PM

Default Not Great

Not great. Had a few stupid errors. My Ballistics program told me to dial 3.9 mil at 600m but I dialled 4.0 zinged my first couple shots over top before I figured it out and even then hit with my last 2 on the top of the gong.

I also had a bit of good luck bad luck. I hit the gong at 500m 5 times but the group was very tight and you get judged on the splashes. You could only see 2 splashes. My buddy who beat me in the scoring was spotting and saw all 5 hit.

I also had someone hit one of my targets and if you have more than 5 bullet holes on paper you get a deduction. But all in all it was a great event. The type of things I described just happen sometimes when your shooting. No ones fault, and not worth complaining about. They surely werent enough to cost me the match because I wasn't even close to the top in scores. If I had to guess I would have been middle of the pack somewhere.

Worst part is my buddy beat me and has braggin rights till the Turkey shoot in the fall.

He still beat me by two shots. When we counted as 5 hitting at 500 otherwise he beat me by around 15 to 20 points if our math was correct

He printed an amazing 4 inch group at 600m so he really deserved it!

I did win the best prize on the draw table! I got a really nice stand up target stand that will help me practice for the turkey shoot. The prize table was top notch and there was some really practical stuff to choose from!
Old 05-28-2023, 05:39 PM

that's too bad about the hits at 600 mark, you should have said something, pics were taken of every target after each relay for verification, should have been able to see the hits.
as for the extra hole, as soon as you see the hole on your target you have to call the r.o. to report it, and it will not be deducted; crossfires happen occasionally; i may or may not have had a couple ..............

there is a benchrest shoot there july 29 you should come to. if possible, try to come a day early and get real come ups for the range, really helps competition day.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:10 PM

Was a great event in my view, and thanks so much to the people who put in the huge effort to make it happen. If the crick don't rise, I'm excited to go back again next year.
I'd never been there before, beautiful range.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:59 PM

Default All Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
that's too bad about the hits at 600 mark, you should have said something, pics were taken of every target after each relay for verification, should have been able to see the hits.
as for the extra hole, as soon as you see the hole on your target you have to call the r.o. to report it, and it will not be deducted; crossfires happen occasionally; i may or may not have had a couple ..............

there is a benchrest shoot there july 29 you should come to. if possible, try to come a day early and get real come ups for the range, really helps competition day.
Its all good I was there for the fun and trying to do my best. Well that and beating my buddy. Was a great group of shooters up there and real nice folks. I have absolutely no hard feelings (well other than the trash talk ill get). Plus its motivation to practice and go to the range. I need to become a better paper puncher, for some reason I cant focus on paper like I can steel. I think I will buy some of those Bench rest targets and practice on them.

That and the little mental errors that improve your score. Practice will help. One good thing is I didnt feel rushed with the timer, I was always done shooting well before time ended. Maybe I should slow down and take more notice of the wind.

Anyone know where is a good place to buy them? The paper benchrest targets that is?

Last edited by markg; 05-28-2023 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:03 PM

there’s definately way more to the game than a good shooting iron and load. that’s what makes it fun in my eyes; bout the the time you think you have it figured out something snaps you back to reality....😂😂

2. #1 is true.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:05 PM

Default Nice Range

That is a really nice range up there. Alot of hard work must have gone into making it so good. I am along way from there but I am considering becoming a member. I think it would be worth the drive. You can never have enough gun club memberships.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:44 AM

I purchase most of the Benchrest targets from Amazon. 100/pack. Pretty reasonable.
So glad you newcomers enjoyed the shoot. We try and make it the best experience possible. Always trying to improve. I actually should receive all the pics of the steel targets soon and maybe I can shed some light on the subject. All my target runners are new volunteers and learning. I’m sure you’ll get bragging rights back soon.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:13 PM

Default No Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
I purchase most of the Benchrest targets from Amazon. 100/pack. Pretty reasonable.
So glad you newcomers enjoyed the shoot. We try and make it the best experience possible. Always trying to improve. I actually should receive all the pics of the steel targets soon and maybe I can shed some light on the subject. All my target runners are new volunteers and learning. I’m sure you’ll get bragging rights back soon.
its all good! Had so much fun, so it really doesnt matter. Thanks again for all the hard work. I am absolutely giddy about my pick from the prize table. That tall portable target will get a ton of use!

The experience also taught me I need to work harder on my shooting fundementals. I learned alot. Its given me huge motivation to get out and shoot more and practice certain skills. The difference between accuracy and precision was self evident by my scores.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
its all good! Had so much fun, so it really doesnt matter. Thanks again for all the hard work. I am absolutely giddy about my pick from the prize table. That tall portable target will get a ton of use!

The experience also taught me I need to work harder on my shooting fundementals. I learned alot. Its given me huge motivation to get out and shoot more and practice certain skills. The difference between accuracy and precision was self evident by my scores.
Well, technically that tall portable target is in the back of my truck at the moment
Old 05-30-2023, 12:49 PM

Default Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
Well, technically that tall portable target is in the back of my truck at the moment
Nice! Lets make sure we get out and use that a bunch! Lets practice so much we get you from 4th place to 2nd place.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:58 PM

Duceman. When should we tell them I change the format every so often??? Maybe time for a change.