Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-18-2023, 06:30 AM

Default 22lr scope options

I don’t have any experience with adjustable scopes but was curious if there was a scope that could adjust easily for shots longer than 100 yards for 22lr. Anyone with longer range 22 shooting
Old 05-18-2023, 06:56 AM

Default Scope

Buy a specified 22LR scope with the BDS 150 reticle, which has hold over slas marks out to 150 yds. They are quite common, Nikon makes a good one as well as a cabelas 22LR 150.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
I don’t have any experience with adjustable scopes but was curious if there was a scope that could adjust easily for shots longer than 100 yards for 22lr. Anyone with longer range 22 shooting
If you are serious about it , get a high end scope with turrets , then get out and practice. I have Athlon 4.5-27x50 on mine, it is what I would call a mid range scope.
IMG_2317.jpg
Most important thing is take notes, how many clicks at what range. Then you can work up a chart. Believe me its addicting to start hitting at unreasonable ranges!!

Last edited by Littlejet; 05-18-2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:46 AM

You can go with a bdc scope, or a scope with turrets, either will work, but you will need an angled rail to get enough adjustment , to shoot longer distances with turrets. I have a Zeiss HD5 5-25, on a 30minute rail, which works well on my rifle. If you want decent accuracy at 100m and beyond, you will need to invest in better quality ammunition, that your rifle likes.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:00 AM

I have an athlon btr g2 6-24x50. Love it on my mkII fvsr.
Side focus(parallax) to me, is a must.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:24 AM

Upto 100M there are a lot of options, but once you increase in range you will want a better option.

Lots of options there as well, but you will want better glass and a decent amount of turret adjustability. I just put a new ziess lrp 5-25x50 on mine, but have not had it out to distance yet. Sitting on a 20moa rail, so with that combo I should be good for 500M shooting.

New rifle, so trying to find a decent ammo first.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:53 PM

Lot of different stuff out there, the FFP scopes with a christmas tree reticle and turrets of various levels of price points. Definitely need angled rail or something like Burris XTR, Signature rings, or a one pc angled mount to get elevation. Competition and choices in that market are plenty to say the least, what you are willing to budget for it is the main determining factor. For target shooting and gophers you shud have good enough glass that you can pick out things like doubles at 1-200 and gophers in the grass. There is some stuff just barely under 1K that is OK, OK mechanics and reasonably good glass, the ones from 1500-2500 is where some great stuff for the money is, and some excellent scopes can be found, that you won't be disappointed with, that price zone has a lot of quality and choices and great glass in it, some really can't be improved on a whole lot, from there up.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlejet View Post
If you are serious about it , get a high end scope with turrets , then get out and practice. I have Athlon 4.5-27x50 on mine, it is what I would call a mid range scope.
Attachment 185135
Most important thing is take notes, how many clicks at what range. Then you can work up a chart. Believe me its addicting to start hitting at unreasonable ranges!!
what a beauty set up!
Old 05-18-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Attachment 185135

Similar set up to mine.

CZ 457 Varmint, 20 MOA MDT rail, Cabelas Covenant 5 5-25 scope. Your glass is nicer than mine, trying to fit in a class and gad this one and it works well.

20 MOA with the internal turret adjustment will get me to 340 yards without having g to use holdover in the reticle. That's with borderline ammo, CCI SV.I am going to be testing various "higher end" ammo from SK and Eley to find something better for 100+.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFitter View Post
Similar set up to mine.

CZ 457 Varmint, 20 MOA MDT rail, Cabelas Covenant 5 5-25 scope. Your glass is nicer than mine, trying to fit in a class and gad this one and it works well.

20 MOA with the internal turret adjustment will get me to 340 yards without having g to use holdover in the reticle. That's with borderline ammo, CCI SV.I am going to be testing various "higher end" ammo from SK and Eley to find something better for 100+.
My Annie seems to like SK Rifle Match, but I'm going to try some long range ammo because the SK Rifle Match is sub-sonic. A little more speed out of the barrel should help the lob arc at longer ranges.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:51 AM

Quote:
My Annie seems to like SK Rifle Match, but I'm going to try some long range ammo because the SK Rifle Match is sub-sonic. A little more speed out of the barrel should help the lob arc at longer ranges.
SK Long Range is still under 1100fps, so still sub sonic. I have been using the Long Range, and the trajectory is pretty much the same, but it does do very well at 100m and beyond.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
SK Long Rangeis still under 1100fps, so still sub sonic. I have been using the Long Range, and the trajectory is pretty much the same, but it does do very well at 100m and beyond.
Ya ,kinda scared to try super sonic ammo , but you don’t know until you try. This gun has never shot anything but SK Rifle Match. At under 100 it shoots way better than me.

IMG_2422.jpg 50yrds
Old 05-19-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Ya ,kinda scared to try super sonic ammo , but you don’t know until you try. This gun has never shot anything but SK Rifle Match. At under 100 it shoots way better than me.

Attachment 185143 50yrds
Longe Range is usually no better at 50m than SK Standard Plus in my Vudoo, but it does do better at 100m. At 100m , average groups with Long Range are under 3/4", with 1/2" very possible on calm days.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Longe Range is usually no better at 50m than SK Standard Plus in my Vudoo, but it does do better at 100m. At 100m , average groups with Long Range are under 3/4", with 1/2" very possible on calm days.
I need calm wind and less than normal coffee intake, to achieve groups!!
Old 05-19-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Try to get as close to sonic as possible while staying under. When the bullets go from super to sub sonic, that when the accuracy issues tend to start from what I have read. I have not tested this enough, only shooting gophers longer range with my MKII FV. I haven't really tried precision much past 100 yards with the 22 yet but there's gotta be a reason that most match ammo is sub sonic.
Old 05-19-2023, 12:48 PM

Something to consider just as important as elevation is windage when shooting 22LR at longer distances. Gravity is constant, wind not so much and .22 bullets are quite susceptible to wind, especially at longer distances. This is why I prefer a "Christmas tree" type reticle to enable me to hold off for wind rather than dialing for every shot as wind here changes constantly. There a numerous free ballistic apps available for cell phones that will get you in the ballpark for initial elevation and windage adjustments at longer distances. I use the Hornady 4Dof app and it works great for me. Good luck...
Old 05-19-2023, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Bushnell Engage 4X16, awesome little scope, very reasonable price. Great value, read some reviews. I have two, love them.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-20-2023, 05:18 AM

If one wants to go longer range with a .22 you will need at least a 30 Moa rail and then a decent scope with at least 30 Mils of elevation adjustment. A christmas tree reticle is preferred for wind holds.

Depending on your budget something like an Athlon Helos 6-24X56 FFP will do ok out to past 300m. Those and comparable scopes are less than $1,000. An Arken SH4 or EP5 will do the job as well, but Athlons and some other makes have the reticle that I prefer.

Moving up from there to around the $2,500 - 2,000 range will get you an Athlon Cronus, Delta Stryker, APEX and other scopes of that level of quality. And the glass will be quite a bit better and controls smoother and crisper.
This price range is the sweet spot for that type of shooting.

From there you need a good lot of some decent ammo that shoots well in your particular rifle. CCI SV and ammo of that ilk just won't do the job at longer ranges and will only lead to frustration. Some SK ammos are decent. SK Long Range, Lapua Midas, Eley Team and Match are in the sweet spot with proper lot testing.

Last edited by Buckhead; 05-20-2023 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:05 PM

Best scope for under a grand would be Arken. Look into the sh4 gen 2 line up. If you want better glass get the arken EP5.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:55 PM

Quote:
SK Long Range is still under 1100fps, so still sub sonic. I have been using the Long Range, and the trajectory is pretty much the same, but it does do very well at 100m and beyond.
Not exactly. 1125 fps at 20 C, however 1086 fps at 0 C

Transonic zone starts at 1075 where you can start to see wobbles depending on projectile

True subsonic is: ammo with a max top speed, in measured extreme spread, through the gun in question, of 1050 fps.

And yet minimag at 1235 is still the most accurate ammunition through my rifle
Old 05-22-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Not exactly. 1125 fps at 20 C, however 1086 fps at 0 C

Transonic zone starts at 1075 where you can start to see wobbles depending on projectile

True subsonic is: ammo with a max top speed, in measured extreme spread, through the gun in question, of 1050 fps.

And yet minimag at 1235 is still the most accurate ammunition through my rifle
MiniMag does OK at best in either Savage or my 457.
SV has been noticeably better out to 100. I just picked up some Eley Contact to try, and have about 30 rounds of SK Match left to try out. I want to get out to some semblance of consistency to 350y, strictly for competition. This may end up needing a barrel swap to something with a faster twist and better barrel, as good as the CZ's are. It wil also require a 30moa rail, not just a 20, as I have 46moa left in the scope currently before needing to use holdover.

Last edited by ScottFitter; 05-22-2023 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 08:13 PM
Banned

i don't shoot waaaay out there, but my loopy rimfires with hash marks are doing the job for me.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:54 AM

Default Discovery ED-PRS 5-25x56

This might be an unpopular option...but I have one on my target 22 which I regularly shoot out to 300 yards and I love it. The price is right for around $600 CDN, and its got enough elevation adjustment to run it out as far as you can shoot with a 22.
Old 06-13-2023, 01:52 PM

Default Elevation and a Rail

It depends how far you're wanting to shoot, but all I can say is make sure to get something with 90+ elevation and I'd recommend at least a 20MOA rail, but probably a 30. The discovery ED-PRS is an affordable option if you can find one. I don't think I'd strap it on a larger rifle, but I love it on my 22. I'm running it out past 250 yards.

Edit...just realized I already replied here. My bad.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:17 PM

I am looking closely at the Athlon Neos 4-12x40 with the 22 rimfire reticle. Just For the gopher patch. i think this is all i will need.

Just waiting to see if Wolverine will have a free shipping special for fathers day.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler