Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-18-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
I struggle with the posted success rate of what 400 is showing for antlered animals taken last year.
Too high, too low?

More importantly, What about the harvest number?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-15-2023, 10:53 AM

Predators aside - it is fricking hard to kill an elk with your bow or a gun in the mountains. The numbers don't just mean the elk populations are down, hunting them isn't that easy.

If you ever get into the mountains, and get into a bugle battle with a bull elk - good luck. It a rush and nothing like it. Most addictive thing out there. But one mess up, wind switch and or stall in the moment or he pushes his cows to you to see who you are - he gone!

But it's not every trip and it's not every year. I know where the elk are in my zone - and even then, its a battle. Some years it's over in 10 min of the first day, sometimes it's 10 days... And not one answer. Wolves play a part, too many and they are not vocal at all. Some days it's like chasing a ghost.

One suggestion is to get a buddy who has done it before, or partner with someone who has. My dad and uncle took me to learn the ways. Learn to call, really learn to call, and be ready to chase down the herd bull up and down the mountain. Or like everyone has stated - get the boot miles going. I do lots of e-scouting but it doesn't do much good till you walk it to see if there are elk there, most times there isn't where you e-scout.

Good luck.

Your prairie bulls are bigger than the mountain bulls.. But the hunt is way better in the mountains!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Too high, too low?

More importantly, What about the harvest number?
Id think it was high. Just a hunch. Cant back it up just how i feel haha
Old 07-16-2023, 07:41 PM

It’s so disappointing to watch all these YouTube videos or Instagram videos of guys down in the states doing these cool high mountain mulie or mountain elk hunts. We just don’t have the same geography here and like everyone has stated, the predator control is lacking. I tried to chase high mountain elk last year and managed to see a few cows but no legal bulls. It’s tough hunting.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:30 AM

It's just different hunting.

The further south you go the more open Hills and seeing elk you'll find. It's to whatever level of difficulty you want. Like hunting any animal.

I have hunted elk in every corner of the province... Depends what style of hunting you like. If you want to see the big herds or sit on a field edge or chase ghosts through the bush - this province has it, took most guys 20 years to figure it out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
alberta, archery, beginner, elk, mountain