Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-27-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
There was water down to 501 on the south end a few years back. Drier than a popcorn fart now.
You should have been around in the 70's and 80's it was dry back then as well. Used the drive out to a couple of islands in the middle of the lake and hunt whitetails.
Old 04-05-2023, 02:32 PM

Sooner or later:

https://www.canada.ca/en/food-inspec...in-canada.html
Old 04-05-2023, 03:10 PM

Default avian flu

Quick someone tell Trudope.. He will quickly close the border and make the returning geese fill in an ArriveCan form and be tested before entry. LOL
Old 04-05-2023, 03:45 PM

^^^.... ah yes...the Trump thread gets locked... and you come here to spread your special insights....

sigh
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-05-2023, 05:11 PM

We saw about 20,000 snow geese flying over the fields of Southern Alberta. We tried our best to euthanize every one of those sick buggers that we could, but unfortunately only got about 50.....

We had goose burgers for dinner last night. Haven't started honking yet! Haha.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
We saw about 20,000 snow geese flying over the fields of Southern Alberta. We tried our best to euthanize every one of those sick buggers that we could, but unfortunately only got about 50.....

We had goose burgers for dinner last night. Haven't started honking yet! Haha.
Hopefully it doesn't make the jump to humans, Covid just about did us in, avian flu might just finish the job.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-05-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Hopefully it doesn't make the jump to humans, Covid just about did us in, avian flu might just finish the job.

Grizz
Things learned from handling covid will help with the next pandemic. Humans learn and adapt and eventually overcome.

Other than the mask wearing, I didn't really mind all the lock downs. But nobody I knew needed to be hospitalized either......
Old 04-05-2023, 05:32 PM

Sorry but I am suspect of all this kind of information-warning rhetoric, When animal populations are high mother nature knocks them back down. Nobody worried about these things before the information super highway aka internet exploded. In my opinion this is a part of the anti-hunting agenda. Kill the hunting by trying to scare everyone into believing they will die from some virus or bacteria from an animal they have harvested. I'm not dead or sick yet from handling or eating hundreds of dead birds and animals. Since I quit eating domestic raised meats and only eat wild game and fish I catch(unless I am away from home working) I have never been healthier or felt better. I'll take my chances. Have to die some day and I'd prefer to go sooner eating good fresh protein I harvest than some hormone injected cow or chicken.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
Sorry but I am suspect of all this kind of information-warning rhetoric, When animal populations are high mother nature knocks them back down. Nobody worried about these things before the information super highway aka internet exploded. In my opinion this is a part of the anti-hunting agenda. Kill the hunting by trying to scare everyone into believing they will die from some virus or bacteria from an animal they have harvested. I'm not dead or sick yet from handling or eating hundreds of dead birds and animals. Since I quit eating domestic raised meats and only eat wild game and fish I catch(unless I am away from home working) I have never been healthier or felt better. I'll take my chances. Have to die some day and I'd prefer to go sooner eating good fresh protein I harvest than some hormone injected cow or chicken.
The fear mongering about your supposed hormone injected chicken or beef is no different than that spread about the wildgame and diseases there ...maybe you are healthier eating wild ,but likely not ...as you say ,you still eat domestic animals when away from home so how do you know ?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I don't think there's an "Anti hunting agenda" that makes decisions on what to turn into news in order to effect hunter participation. Most people who don't hunt, wouldn't give it a second thought.

Anti hunting types would be more likely to want to see hunters get sick to be punished for our mean and nasty actions.
You know, like Karma in the western sense of the word.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Have to die some day and I'd prefer to go sooner eating good fresh protein I harvest than some hormone injected cow or chicken.
Do you prefer eating deer and elk that have been grazing on a field that was recently sprayed with glyphosate and 24D?
Old 04-06-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Do you prefer eating deer and elk that have been grazing on a field that was recently sprayed with glyphosate and 24D?
Had to look up what they were. You couldn't just say Roundup? Lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate
Old 04-06-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
Things learned from handling covid will help with the next pandemic. Humans learn and adapt and eventually overcome.

Other than the mask wearing, I didn't really mind all the lock downs. But nobody I knew needed to be hospitalized either......
I think it’s gonna go the other way. Plenty of people died, but more were inconvenienced without harm. Even worse, it got political. Next time people won’t take it seriously, and we will have another Spanish flu level mortality event. H5N1 is certainly a candidate for that.

Quote:
You are correct on the first part, and also one of 8 billion animals of the same species. Think about that for a bit.

Wrong on the second. Pandemics have been part of human history forever.

Influenza is an avian virus. It jumped to humans when the Chinese domesticated ducks, and has been part of our lives ever since. At several points it has killed nearly half the humans it infected.

I’m not saying don’t eat geese, I’m saying be careful and don’t confuse political rhetoric with epidemiology.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Maintaining 6' spacing when in flight seems to have slowed the spread. Flattened the curve so to speak.
Apparently birds trust the science more than some 2 legged heathens
I thought Turdo made them all get vaccinated,so we could give them the second SHOT!!
Old 04-07-2023, 10:13 AM

Came across this article and thought I'd share it to add to the discussion...

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/avian-inf...an-flu-pet-dog

Don't know if it means anything or is conclusive that it can transfer over to dogs, just something I happened to see in a news feed.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Came across this article and thought I'd share it to add to the discussion...

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/avian-inf...an-flu-pet-dog

Don't know if it means anything or is conclusive that it can transfer over to dogs, just something I happened to see in a news feed.
I believe i heard the dog ate the goose, this why the dog got avian flu
Old 04-07-2023, 05:46 PM

If I was a poultry farmer I'd be extremely cautious and take every precaution.
If I had a retrieving dog I might give a second thought to bringing it on a snow goose hunt (the largest wild carriers).
As a waterfowl hunter I am not worried about it in the slightest.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:39 AM

I would think the snow goose that is still able to fly long distances to a field probably is still healthy. The ones dead or dying by the lake probably highest risk for your dog and human handling.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:18 AM

[QUOTE=Big Grey Wolf;4625571]I would think the snow goose that is still able to fly long distances to a field probably is still healthy. The ones dead or dying by the lake probably highest risk for your dog and human handling.

Lets hope this virus does not arrive here in Alberta, chicken sales for be high prices for all.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:23 AM

Chart in this article says it’s here already.

https://www.producer.com/livestock/b...inue-but-slow/ :
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."