Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-01-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
In desperation of finding a home I finally drove out this last Sunday in a pickup and camper I was prepared to stay for up to 2 weeks to make a deal on a house and get a job.

I didn't have to though the first house I visited on Monday morning was so awesome that I put an offer on it that was accepted.

We will be moving between Rocky Mtn House and Sylvan lake possession date is July 24.

So I am now looking for info around the Rocky Mtn House area and yes I stopped in at the shop in town and picked up a copy of last years regulations.

Beautiful house - congrats !!

I would move back to Alberta in a heartbeat, but can't convince my better half that it is the right thing to do.

Mr Conservation
Old 06-01-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Have to ask...

What is the procedure you use to approach a landowner to hunt their property?
Not a big private land guy but do hunt it a little. Mostly waterfowl but in past years I had tons of permission for mule deer when I lived in southern Alberta

Really nothing fancy just knock on the door introduce yourself and be polite. I always make sure to get any information regarding rules and landowners wishes before I leave. If given permission make sure if it is for just X days don’t assume your permission is for the whole season or for ever. Biggest things don’t be pushy, pick respectful timing, and don’t be afraid to have a simple conversation.

Simply be respectful when asking and be respectful if given permission

Some people will be very open to hunting, some will be grumpy, and others will just say no for multiple reasons. Areas away from large populations are often more open
Old 06-01-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Great info thanks

I'm using Google Earth to look over the area we are moving to.

I'm thinking that I need to find an area/quarter section close to home that I can hunt like I have here.

My new "old" neighbor has lived in this area most of his life I'm hoping he has some insight or contacts that will let me access there properties.

I'll bribe him with a deer roast or two or is that illegal to give meat away there as well?
Giving meat away is legal, unless it is part of a bribe.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-13-2023, 05:01 PM

Welcome to Alberta.

Perfect timing When you turn 65 You no longer need to buy an Alberta fishing license. Plus your Youth/Senior Wildlife certificate will cost $8.30 and include your upland game bird permit furthermore your Youth Senior White-tailed deer is $8.25.

Once the fires have quit burning North west of RMH around Brazeau its mainly Crown land hunt the recent burned area edges they will regenerate fast and attract lots of game.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboar...b0cf8b636defa3

The above link is to the Alberta Wildfire Status interactive Map it shows active fires and extinguished ones.
Old 06-13-2023, 05:39 PM

great info thank you
Old 08-12-2023, 07:38 PM

Whoo hoo I’m here moved in on July 19

Yes I am right now sitting on the patio in the house picture above.

What a change of pace

I’ve been checking out the area have met some awesome people many of them own 1 to several quarter sections that are very huntable

I have already gotten permission to be on two of the properties I have not asked to hunt them though I don’t want to push to hard