Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 AM

Default Trappers 2012/13

Last years trappers thread was an intresting thread with updates from all over the province. Post your count and throw in a bunch of pictures as well.

My partner and me plan to go in this week and get the Marten sets out, have about 50 boxs hung up last time we were out. Should have approx 75 sets out for next week. Hoping to pile up the marten, and Lynx later on. Get some bait sites going for Wolves in near future. Once the ice is safe, gonna try for some under ice Beaver as well.

Hope this guy will hang around for another month......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2897.jpg (71.7 KB, 847 views)
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 AM

One wolf,one fox,five beaver so far going out to set for marten today
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM

Iv never trapped but really want to get into it. For now all i can do is shoot. This is one target for the next few months. My goal is to make a blanket. Probably coyote and id love to be able to trap beaver and have a shaved beaver underside to it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.6 KB, 618 views)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 AM

First week was good. 14 coyotes, two marten and 1 fisher.

Hope to caugth 100 yotes this year.

Early winter cut out my fall beaver trapping, now will wait until the ice is thicker.

Good lyxn sign so will be building a couple of new cubbies and getting the old ones built up for Dec 1. Also need to get some snowshoes for bait.

Good Trapping and stay safe

TEH

14 yotes
2 marten
2 Beaver
1 Fisher
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM

Default 12/13

Thunder, how was that fur looking?
I won't be setting until the end of the month. Weather is wrecking my plans, was hoping to do a loop on the quad but with the ice under the snow right now may not get far with the hills. I don't have a sled so looks like I'll be trapping the roads. Marten may be hard to come by this year but I should get my cats
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
Thunder, how was that fur looking?
I won't be setting until the end of the month. Weather is wrecking my plans, was hoping to do a loop on the quad but with the ice under the snow right now may not get far with the hills. I don't have a sled so looks like I'll be trapping the roads. Marten may be hard to come by this year but I should get my cats
The fisher and the marten look good but first yotes where a little ruff. The last 4 have been better looking in the fur department. Every day that goes by now just helps with the fur.

Good luck and this year looks like it could be one of those years that if we wait too long to get started that the snow will be to deep. Was trying to get most the fur on the winter sales and not the May one, that is why the early start.

TEH
Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 PM

Not a bad day today. Getting to warm coyotes are slowing down. Then again maybe just caught the local ones faster this year.

2 marten and 2 fox

17 coyotes
4 marten
2 fox
1 fisher
9 rats
two beaver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-11-13 14.15.36-1.jpg (60.7 KB, 493 views)
Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 PM

Not a trapper myself. Well a little bit of Rabbit and Coyote when I was young.

Anyway. Just wanted to say best of luck to you all and keep posting your stories very interesting.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Not a bad day today. Getting to warm coyotes are slowing down. Then again maybe just caught the local ones faster this year.

2 marten and 2 fox

17 coyotes
4 marten
2 fox
1 fisher
9 rats
two beaver
The coyotes have still been slow for me the last two weeks. Only picked up 3 that were any good.
Seems to be lots of fox this year on the line picked up 4 more this week. This is getting me thinking that the coyote numbers are down. Only caught 4 fox all last year off the line and have already caught 4 at one bait station.

Had a run on fisher caught 4 the last two weeks, one more to reach quota. Picked up 3 more marten.

Set some lynx cubbies this weekend, looks to be lots of tracks and one crossed the road today in front of me. Hope to pick a couple up this week.

Set out a new bait station where the wolves were active, may get lucky a pick up one or two of them in the next few weeks.

Stay safe and good trapping TEH

20 coyotes
7 marten
6 fox
5 fisher
9 rats
2 beaver
1 weasel
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker0205 View Post
Iv never trapped but really want to get into it. For now all i can do is shoot. This is one target for the next few months. My goal is to make a blanket. Probably coyote and id love to be able to trap beaver and have a shaved beaver underside to it
....lol. Me too.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 AM

Default Southwest

Brian and I had a lot of fun, and had a decent run on the coyote line. His timing was good as deep snow made footholding pretty challenging just after he left. Highlight was probably RUM night, with many ATA members in the area coming over to visit Brian and celebrate my birthday. My wife Sara impressed me with a cake with a coyote, foothold, body grip trap decorations (icing). Thanks Brian for helping support the ATA with your generous winning bid at the ATA live auction!

Picked up some fox and coyote over the past 2 days in snares. Back to the trapline today. Hope this snowstorm warning is not to bad!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Banned

How does one go about getting into trapping? Where would you apply to get your designated line and where could you get your trappers permit/class?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
How does one go about getting into trapping? Where would you apply to get your designated line and where could you get your trappers permit/class?
Trappers liscence is no prob. Take the course or challenge. You won't have much luck applying for a dedicated line! Gotta buy one
Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Trappers liscence is no prob. Take the course or challenge. You won't have much luck applying for a dedicated line! Gotta buy one
Thank you! Where would you look to find lines for sale?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Thank you! Where would you look to find lines for sale?
I found mine on Kijiji. Join the ATA and their magazine has a classified section at the back with some lines for sale. Start saving your penny's now though, they aren't cheap
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I found mine on Kijiji. Join the ATA and their magazine has a classified section at the back with some lines for sale. Start saving your penny's now though, they aren't cheap
Thats what I hear. Apparently you can't sell the line but you can sell the stuff (gear,cabin) that is on the line and transfer the right's.

Can you use the cabin outside of trapping season?

Say, You wanted to spend a week bowhunting at the end of August, Could you stay in the cabin for the week and use that as your base of operandi? I did hear that it was "illegal" or frowned upon to do that.

I know trapping is not overly profitable but I would like to do it for the experience, and the simple enjoyment of the outdoors.

Would also be nice to have a nice little get away in the middle of nowhere to go and relax.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 AM

Back from the line, we had a young trapper along this time. It was his first time on a trapline, I think he really enjoyed it, and prob hooked for life.

Had a good check on the line, fresh snow was nice to see tracks.
Explored some new area with alot of Marten sign, so we set more traps in the area. Ran out of boxes so we set some free standing traps on a leaning tree with a willow running underneath through the springs eyes to hold it. Tied some beaver below and see what happens.

Running 75 sets now and waiting for Lynx opener.
Had one weasel eaten, better than a marten .

8 Marten
6 Weasel
2 Squirrel
1 Fisher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0843.jpg (80.2 KB, 383 views)
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM

Couple pics from the line

bridge pic.JPG

Marten pic.JPG
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Keep it up guys! Gotta get my 12 yearold niece her first buck and maybe one for her uncle then I'm hitting the line. Got 40 marten boxes waiting to go and snares are ready. Just gotta chop up some beaver for the lynx cubbies and I'll be ready.
Work has our Christmas party Dec.1 and I said I won't be there. Why? they asked. Cause I'll be in the bush all day till dark that day and the next! It's what a trapper does.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:14 AM

Snared this one yesterday. Young coyote, lots of burrs in the creek area I'm snaring in.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 PM

Snared this yote today. And the set I used to get it. Lots of burrs in the fur in the creek I'm snaring in.

Dead very quick in the Senneker Alberta power snare. No struggle area. Got caught, tightened up the snare and extension, the trigger went off, and it died very fast. Away from the bottleneck and it was a quick reset.

I'm just learning this year. It's been alot of fun so far. Wish there was more yotes around. Nothing like what I saw last year. My 3 and 5 year old daughters love coming out with Dad to check the snares.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM

Default 2012-2013

Looks like the fur has started to move some. Picked up some more cats and another black wolf. Caught a fisher in a 120 marten box only to have a cougar come along and eat everything but the head in the trap! Guess I'll get the $5 for the skull from the government. Almost at my Lynx quota (2 lines 5 on each line) so will start pulling sets soon. Hoping more wolves show up.
Some pics

First black wolf female

Snared Lynx Double

Second Black Wolf Male

Second snared Lynx double

Yesterdays days end catch
Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Well jimsummit is taking me out to his line tommorow morning. Will be my first time out on a "real" trap line. Gonna spend the night in that little log cabin. And somewhere in between sleeping and eating we're gonna put 160 Kms on our sleds. Sounds like a mighty long way to me but he tells me it's not so bad.... I'll keep you guys posted
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
Well jimsummit is taking me out to his line tommorow morning. Will be my first time out on a "real" trap line. Gonna spend the night in that little log cabin. And somewhere in between sleeping and eating we're gonna put 160 Kms on our sleds. Sounds like a mighty long way to me but he tells me it's not so bad.... I'll keep you guys posted
Waitin for an update boys, dont worry about the mice turds in the cabin mxz, they only come out when ure sleepin hope ure havin a good time!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM

caught my first marten
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 AM

Awesome pictures guys, some nice furs. Congrats on your first marten Hawken!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Default Last weeks check Jan 19 and kids with bobcat

No lynx this week and not many martin but the eastern set was fairly good. The bobcat, coyote and wolf were all within 10 meters from eachother!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3185.JPG (119.0 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3180.JPG (140.2 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3173.JPG (147.3 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3169.JPG (149.3 KB, 236 views)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
No lynx this week and not many martin but the eastern set was fairly good. The bobcat, coyote and wolf were all within 10 meters from eachother!!
nice variety of fur u got there!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Caught my first Fisher and first Fox! The Fisher thought it would be a good idea to destroy a Mink box, gotta love Belise traps. To bad he had an old war wound that cost him most of his tail. Nice clean snare on the Fox.

Fox 2013.jpg

Fisher.jpg